Fruit and Veg

edited August 2013 in Local discussion
Stood at the station when the fruit stall on wells terrace were packing away they threw all the empty crates over the wall. Sorry but this is just wrong the area looks like it is full of crates. If they are happy to make make money by selling stuff then they should tidy up and not just dump the empties.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The one on wells terrace opposite the ex pub. Its looks like 15 - 20 gray crates just thrown over the wall. They might have a permit but they also have a bloody big van how hard is it to take their rubbish home?
  • The one behind the stall with a tree growing there.
  • They don't have a supplier that delivers. They drive their own van to the market at Nine Elms and buy up the stuff that's left after the proper greengrocers havd had their pick of the best stuff. That's why a) it's cheap, and b) goes off quickly.
  • Presumably they will be gone soon, as the wall they are up against will be demolished and replaced by the entrance to a new street.
  • I keep forgetting about all that. As I was cycling home down Charteris the other day, I realised that in a few months, instead of seeing sky up ahead I'll just see tower blocks. Depressing.
  • I'm not as much as I love it up north it's sodding dull compared to London.
  • <P>Those crates get pulled out from behind the wall at the beginning of each day.  He uses those crates to display his wares.  He stores the metal frame ot his stall in the same place.</P>
  • I don't understand all the negativity about City North.  The new street-plan is excellent, and it will really open up that area.  And I think the towers are rather elegant (though I'm less convinced by the horizontal podium).  It's a terrible craphole down there at the moment.  Even if the plan has flaws, I can't imagine anyone can think it will be worse than what's there now.<br><br>It's been a while since I looked at the plans, but I'm not sure the view from Charteris Road will be affected (as opposed to Clifton Terrace).<br>
  • Wouldn't happen in Singapore ...<br>
  • I do tend to agree with Misscara. Also, I like low rise, and bricks, and sky, and trees. There is a really nice sense of a real life community in my little craphole bit of SG, I know my neighbours and people in streets around, I talk to people all the way down Fonthill and many of the people living around there have lived there for many years and brought up their families in these streets. This development is absolute anti community. It encourages buy to let and transient renters and will change the profile of the area. The rents will be high and it will hike everything else meaning that people like me who actually want to stay and put down roots will be priced out. If this development was built in the middle of Crouch End or up Crouch Hill or in one of the 'nice' parts of SG far away from me I'd probably think it was all marvellous too.
  • edited August 2013
    @Misscara: Crime is reduced by 'eyes on the street', active frontages, and having a healthy mixed-income community.  Why would the development bring more, given that it is likely to address all three of those factors?<br><br>Whatever you think of the aesthetics, Wood Green Shopping City is a massive failure - it cuts off residential streets, breaks up the Victorian street-grid, and creates a warren of concrete passages and walkways.  The City North development does the opposite of all those things.  It will benefit many people who use the station or its environs, and add many new homes to the area - I suspect it will benefit the people who live in those homes.<br><br>You think it's ugly, and that's your subjective judgment, but you have no basis for the remainder of your argument.<br>
  • @MissAnnie<;br><br>Some people like high-rise, some people like low-rise, some people like both.  The new high-rise won't get rid of your Victorian terrace.<br><br>What evidence do you have that the new development will be more likely to attract buy-to-let and transience than any other building?<br><br>Rents will be high if people want to live there.  Run-down, neglected and economically abandoned parts of the city will always be regenerated just as they always have.  You can't keep an area poor just in case your rent goes up.  And I say this as someone who really couldn't afford to pay any more rent.<br>
  • @Arkady<;div><br>I've said this before in another post about City North but I'm less bothered by the towers. There's a similar-sized tower block on the estate opposite that no one seems bothered by.</div><div><br></div><div>But as you mention, the horizontal podium is less convincing. It's immense and looks awful to me and just adds to the feeling of the barrier already created by the railway, except now it will be raised by 10-12 storeys <span style="font-size: 10pt;">(I can't exactly tell from the renderings).</span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;"><br></span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;">No one can predict how City North will affect the area until it's built. As we know, architectural drawings 'lie'. But one thing is for sure and that's it's a very big development for a somewhat small site. </span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;"><br></span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;">And I don't agree that the surrounding area is poor and needs to be regenerated. Sure, the City North property itself could be put to better use, but Fonthill Road is bustling and doesn't appear to need any regeneration to me. I don't shop there myself, but other people obviously do since its so busy. I don't like the idea of new development forcing out existing, viable businesses but I guess that's progress.</span></div><div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • edited August 2013
    @Misscara - but I, and many other people, would love to live in that development.  Just because you don't want to live there doesn't man that either nobody does or only bankers do.  Not everybody thinks the same as you.  High-rise living is rapidly gaining in popularity.  <br><br>Your shops=crime logic is just silly.<br><br>The largest part of the development is residential, not retail.  And it's usually residential where the money is made.  Your 'tagging on' claim is also silly.<br><br>The retail part of the development will be a series of external streets, lined with shops.  What makes that a 'shopping centre', as opposed to just a street with shops?<br><br>I'm sorry that you are disappointed, but I suppose I feel similarly.  You have made a series of unfounded assertions based on your aesthetic taste alone, with seemingly no grounding in the actual reality of planning requirements or the market.  You'll be telling me that it's 'just common sense' next.<br><br>@JoeV - I don't have a  problem with Fonthill Road either, it's mostly the City North site and the area directly north of it that need redevelopment (as in reconstruction), the rest just needs investment and love.<br>
  • And/or a gastropub.<br>
  • I agree - I was trying to think of extreme alternatives to the Fullback. Without picturing it as yet another Wetherspoons. <br>
  • It's change for changes sake. I don't think it is needed but who I am to judge.
  • It is far too big and will be like Hammersmith - concrete prison and as someone said like the grotty nags head shopping complex. No wonder Misscara is going back to Romania . Chang
  • I'm on record as being in favour of this from the start!  I've blathered about it at length here before.