Donations to Mind - Charity Shop

2»

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited October 2013
    Think they are planning to offer this just on Sundays, when the shop is closed. There are usually about half a dozen bags left there by twits at the weekends so I wouldn't have thought that they'd need help, but I'm sure they'd welcome the offer. It's more than generous of them to do this, so I really hope that punters don't start expecting to be able to drop stuff off every day. In olden times (until 1994) all shops still used to close all day on Sundays, and many places were only open for half a day on Wednesdays. Shops were closed by 6pm except in the West End were you could shop 'til 7, sometimes even 8pm! Now people expect that a charity shop staffed by volunteers should open seven days a week. One of the first things I will do when my glorious reign dawns is overturn the Sunday Trading laws.
  • Lugged a whole load of stuff down there yesterday afternoon and it was closed.  Very frustrating but have to bite my tongue and remember it is a charity....<br><br>Lovely idea by the Stapleton.<br>
  • <strong style="color: rgb(29, 29, 29); font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 15px; line-height: 20px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">This week Sun Newspaper front page carried the headline: 1200 killed by mental patients. This was a dangerously selective way to lead on the research covered, reinforcing the public perception of the mentally ill as a risk to society.</strong>
  • I realise it's a controversial subject but the way 'care in the community' works in this country needs to be reviewed.<div><br></div>
  • Presumably it's meant to feed into Big Society....
  • Again is another example of the outcome of underfunding of successive governments<div><br></div>
  • edited October 2013
    More a case of unrealistic expectations - we only have to look as far as the thread about Sally to see how effective Care In The Community is, or donations to Mind about Big Society's success. Neither concept ever had any base in reality... Edit: that wasn't meant to be a criticism of anyone, just stating that there has clearly been little support provided for Sally, and that the volunteering model for Mind isn't quite working, judging by comments on that thread.
  • edited October 2013
    I forgot to get back on the issue of gift aid.  When a volunteer at the Mind shop tried to get me to take part in it (and were quite insistent) I refused and took a leaflet.  I still left my books there and as they were in good condition and not airport novels, I'm sure they sold quite quickly.<div><br></div><div>I do like the Mind shop and buy the odd book and cd  there. The top of Stroud Green road wouldn't be the same without it.   I know lots of charities are reliant on street fundraisers as times are hard for them at the moment but I like to donate hassle free, the same as I like to shop hassle-free, and when a full-on sales assistants hassles me, I walk out.</div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;"><br></span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;">I would still encourage people to donate to them and bring it into the shop rather than leaving it outside. </span></div><div><div><br></div></div>
  • gardner-joe, House of Hodge on Blackstock Road might like your books.
  • The Sun thing was utterly disgusting, but unfortunately not that surprising. I'm expecting a government announcement on further cuts to mental healthcare, as that's the way our government seems to operate.
  • Well yes, the government wants to announce how much it's cut back on public spending, and that's one way to do it. Similarly, visas aren't being renewed - even from people who've lived in this country for most of their lives - so that they can state at the next election that they've cut immigration by half. All about the figures, not about the cost.
  • Ah yes, immigration would be another headline the government is after. Never mind the *fact* that non-eu-citizens have to be resident for 2 years before claiming benefits and that, in London, Chinese citizens, for example, make up 2 per cent of the population and contribute 10 per cent of the economy. I'd love to see that in the Daily Mail.
  • I always remember an ad I saw in the cinema in the late 90s of someone talking of "sending them all back to where they came from", and then the camera panning across empty hospital wards, classrooms etc - highlighting this country's reliance on overseas staff, especially in the NHS. A couple of friends are currently battling with visa issues; the lawyer of one of them told her about the government and that 50% target. (Another friend - Malaysian - told me he could never get residency here while the Tories were in power before; as soon as Labour took over, it took his lawyer three days.)