Book Club Meeting: 8pm Monday 4th November at The Old Dairy - The Crow Road by Iain Banks

Next book club meeting will take place on 8pm on the 4th November at The Old Dairy. In honour of the recently deceased Iain Banks we have chosen one of his non-science fiction books: The Crow Road. Amazon description: From its bravura opening onwards, THE CROW ROAD is justly regarded as an outstanding contemporary novel. 'It was the day my grandmother exploded. I sat in the crematorium, listening to my Uncle Hamish quietly snoring in harmony to Bach's Mass in B Minor, and I reflected that it always seemed to be death that drew me back to Gallanach.' Prentice McHoan has returned to the bosom of his complex but enduring Scottish family. Full of questions about the McHoan past, present and future, he is also deeply preoccupied: mainly with death, sex, drink, God and illegal substances... It's 512 pages so possibly a tight squeeze to read before the next meeting. We were a bit limited by finding a book of his that wasn't too weird or too violent and that was available on audiobook. I read the Crow Road many years ago and remember enjoying it. Good luck all!

Comments

• <p>I'm working again that evening so will have to miss it unfortunately - October and November are particularly busy months at work for me but I hope to finally make it back to book group for the December meeting! It would be great to go for a Christmas meal for the December meeting again if you are all keen. Can I put in a cheeky request for a reasonably short book for December?! See you all soon. </p>
  • Thanks for posting @Luirette. I ordered a copy from <a href="http://www.greenmetropolis.com/">Green Metropolis</a> and it's on its way.<br><br>It's a shame you'll miss the next one @Charlo - nearer the time you should send a message to one of us with the dates that you can/can't do for December to make sure we can all be there!<br><br>
  • I can't do Mondays as do Tai chi on that day so please can the next date be arranged to avoid a Monday if possible. Thanks!
  • So who's still on for Monday and how are you getting on with the book? I just finished. I found it different from how I remembered reading it 15 years ago.
  • Am still on and have finished it!
  • Just had a big CR session and now am sure I will finish it - see you there!<br>
  • Not finished yet but will do my best. See you all tomorrow.
  • Sorry guys but am not going to be able to make it. Been crazily busy with work, weddings and welding - not really welding, just wanted another word that began with W. So have failed miserably to even start it. But definitely up for next one,p, especially if you guys are up for a Xmas dinner. I can do any Monday to Thursday in December after the 3rd ie from the 4th onwards. Have fun x
  • <p>I am fairly free in December I think although can't make 10th or 12th - hopefully see you next month! Have fun tonight!</p>