Northumberland fisheries door to door fish sales - ok or avoid?

edited October 2013 in Local discussion
These Northumberland Fisheries door to door guys have come past our street about 3-4 times in the last few months. Has anyone ever bought fish from them? It all seems a bit unusual to me so I avoid it. Do they usually sell in bulk or something?

Comments

• I bought salmon a year or so ago which seemed OK. My husband then bought some cod a couple of months ago- wasn't cod but something much cheaper white fish, but charged as if it was, he is sure he was ripped off and annoyed at having given it a go! We Definately wouldn't use them again. Shame as I quite liked the idea...
  • We didn't buy in bulk. I thought I would gamble a tenner to see what they were like.
  • You have no idea what you are buying, its age or its quality. Someone I know bought a big load of fish on the doorstep and there is no way it was what it was labelled as. Cheap white fish with "John Dory" written on it in pen. Avoid.
  • edited June 2016
    <p>[removed by the moderator following a solicitor's letter]</p>
  • edited June 2016
    <div><div style="font: 10pt/normal Arial, Verdana;"><div><div><span style="font-size: 13.3333px;">[removed by the moderator following a solicitor's letter]</span><br></div></div></div></div>
  • There's one group that comes to my street once a month. Have bought from them a couple of times. Very odd that regardless of the type of fish, everything is the same price. They do have a flyer with different types of fish on there, but rarely have hem in stock of you as for things like conger eel or shellfish. Maybe you have to call ahead of their visits for that. But one time I ordered one type of fish and ended up with what were monkfish tails. Their labeling is atrocious. And once I asked for turbot but was offered a "lovely pollack instead, which is almost the same". Not quite. I no longer buy from them.
  • edited January 2018