Important Planning Application for 1 Stapleton Hall Road

edited October 2013 in Local discussion
A planning application has come forward for 1 Stapleton Hall Road, which is the former Hornsey Automatic Transmission building opposite the Stapleton and Old Dairy. The application is to convert the 1st and 2nd floors into two flats. It is *not* for the work being undertaken on the shop-front, which has been raised elsewhere (and which I have not forgotten about).<br><br><b style="font-style: normal;"><a href="http://www.planningservices.haringey.gov.uk/portal/servlets/ApplicationSearchServlet?PKID=270164">HGY/2013/2182</a></b><br>1 Stapleton Hall Road N4 3QE<br><b style="font-style: normal;">Change of use of first and second floors from office / storage associated with ground floor business, to 2<br>self-contained flats</b><br>Date Registered: 24/10/2013<br><br>In terms of the aesthetics of the Stroud Green Road and its conservation areas, this is a very important application and should not be allowed to become a missed opportunity. They are proposing to remove the hideous fire-escape from the front (GOOD) but are proposing to replace the existing timber windows with uPVC (BAD). Further, there is no mention of fixing the horrendous unpainted render that is currently applied to the brickwork of the front-facing elevation. Given the importance of this building, can we insist that the render is removed to expose and restore the original brickwork?<br><br>In order to deal with the eyesore once and for all, may I recommend that people recommend that the following conditions are applied, should the application be granted:<br><br>1) Any replaced windows must be double-glazed timber sash. They proposed use of uPVC contradicts the rules of both the Haringey and Islington Stroud Green Conservation Areas and is not acceptable, particularly in such a prominent location.<br><br><div>2) Removal of the front staircase is to be welcomed. This is unlikely be achieved without affecting the unpainted render that is currently applied to the brickwork of the front-facing elevation.  Regardless, given the importance of this building to the Haringey and Islington Stroud Green Conservation Areas and its prominent location, the render should be removed to expose and restore the original Victorian decorative brickwork.<br> <br>If people wish to comment on the application, they can do so <a href="http://www.planningservices.haringey.gov.uk/portal/servlets/ApplicationSearchServlet?PKID=270164" style="font-style: normal;">here</a>. It will take about thirty seconds, particularly if you are minded to simply cut & paste my two comments above.  Please consider doing so.<br><br>I'm banging on about this to the relevant authorities, as you will have come to expect.<br></div>

Comments