BBC to adapt Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell

edited November 2013 in General chat
As there's so much interest in Buffy/A Game of Thrones, I'm going to make an assumption that at least some people here have read and enjoyed Susannah Clarke's wonderful <i>Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell</i>. Well, the BBC is turning it into a series: http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2013/jonathan-strange-mr-norrell-bbc-one-casting-release.html<br><br>I've not heard of the two main actors, but as it's a BBC thing I have high hopes. Anyone else going to be watching it?<br>

Comments

• Always see Jonathan Strange in charity shops. Top recommendation?
  • on Buffy anyone know why Syfy irritatingly jumped from Series 3 to Series 7 on it's reruns?
  • I'm trying to get the Stroud Green link here.
  • It's going to be filmed here. Chang
  • I read it and found it a bit long winded but enjoyable. If you liked it try The Deptford Trilogy by Robertson Davies or for something lighter the Night Circus.
  • @ Chang.  On Lorne road?
  • If only! I cud do with the location fee! It's on the reservoirs . Chang
  • @kittygal, I don't understand either, but they keep on doing it. Do you have the Horror Channel? They show an ep. of Angel daily, usually straight after Buffy!
  • Chang distracted me but what is the connection with Stroud Green?
  • Peter Crumb: I generally hesitate to recommend books as everyone's taste is so different. Like miss annie said it is a bit long winded and sometimes hard going, but I really enjoyed it. I thought it very similar in style to Jane Austen, although a friend of mine thought it an insult to Ms Austen to even mention it in the same sentence. It's set in the 19th century and magic is a real and accepted part of life. If you're on Goodreads, it's here: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/14201.Jonathan_Strange_Mr_Norrell?from_search=true<br><br>miss annie: I've got Night Circus on my to-read list, the other one I've not heard of so I'll check it out.<br>
  • <span style="font-size: 10pt;">Another recommendation is </span><b style="font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium;"><font face="Tahoma">Rivers of London </font></b>by Ben Aaronovitch<span style="font-size: 10pt;"> (prefer these to Suzanne Clarke's book </span><i style="font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium;"><span style="font-size: 14px; font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 33px; background-color: rgb(240, 246, 234);">Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell</span></i>, which I agree is Austenesque in tone), for a mix of detective/police procedural set in modern London (you could navigate by some of the descriptions) and magic - and it would also film well.
  • edited November 2013
    Ben Aaronovitch is an ex Waterstones bookseller and wrote the first book on his lunch breaks! We are proud of him. The audio versions are excellent too. The Deptford Trilogy was written by a slightly odd Canadian Professor who looked like Gandalf. I love his books, they often go off an a tangent leading one to investigate things he mentions. Oh, and I bet you do know one the Norrell & Strange actors - Eddie Marsan is the senior policeman in Robert Downey Jr's Sherlock. My mum & stepdad's surname is Strange, often thought of adopting it.
  • It's an insult to Susanna Clarke to mention Jane Austen in the same sentence as her. <div style="font-style: normal;"><br></div><div>The worldbuilding in Ben Aaronovitch's novels is first-class, but the plotting (in the first two, at least) is terrible - I worked out the culprit 200 pages ahead of the leads in <i>Rivers </i>and 300 pages in <i>Moon over Soho</i>. That said, he's improved on that front in the two books since. His fellow <i>Doctor Who</i> alumnus Paul Cornell has also started a very good occult London police series with<i> London Falling</i> - but they're an awful lot darker, more outright horror. Still, if you want a local connection in your spooky detective stories, you need China Mieville's <i>Kraken</i>, where the protagonist lives just across Finsbury Park.</div>
  • If you read it, my advice would be to skip the footnotes.
  • Except the ones about Stroud Green reservoirs Chang
  • Ah, so many new books to read :)<br>
  • But the footnotes are brilliant! One of them even spins off a short story in its own right.
  • I started reading CM's <i>Kraken</i> at the weekend. Quarter of the way through and it's brilliant. I'm so in love with China Mieville.<br>
  • The Kraken Wakes is a good one. But avoid the reservoirs. Chang
  • I find Mieville's addiction to the deliberate anticlimax as a way of undercutting fantasy cliches slightly wearing, but other than that he's bloody brilliant. 
  • Agree totally . Chang