Dr Who's Tardis in Stapleton Hall road

edited November 2013 in Local discussion
Does anyone remember the police call box ( or was it really Dr Who ) in Stapleton Hall road just under the railway bridge on the south side in between the bridge and Florence road ? I read that they were removed late 60's early 70's. What a shame ...can you imagine the kids faces if they saw it today?

Comments

• There is one outside Earl's Court tube. Someone told me you can look inside it on Streetview. I don't think there are any others in London, but would be happy to know if I'm wrong. Seven hours to go!
  • That would be great. I'm quite excited about the Doctor Who 50th. The mini episode with McCann was awesome. I'm debating whether to go to the cinema to see it or watch in the comfort of ny living room. @Arsenalred7- keep these historical posts coming!
  • @missannie there's one in somebody's back garden in south London which can be seen from the Overground when heading east from Clapham Junction.
  • Can't believe I've never noticed that!
  • McCann? So she just left to be an unusually young companion? Someone should probably tell the parents...<div><br></div><div>(I did love the McGann prelude, mostly, but I wish it had made the book companions canon instead of (or as well as) the audio ones, they're much better)</div><div><br></div><div>There was a police 'phone box in the waiting room at Derby Children's Hospital. You say kids would love it, but one of my first memories is the crushing disappointment of opening the door to find it was smaller on the inside. </div>
  • Thank you Arkady for your encouragement. I lived in marquis rd from 1958 till 1977 so have a lot of wonderful memories. So pleased Stroud green is somewhere people love and are proud to live . PS I wish the people on my other comment would stop sniping at each other Life's too short
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Yes but what about the police box
  • edited November 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Do you mean those little ones like a pillar more than a 'phone box? There's a fair few of them in the City, one just near Aldgate station which I pass each morning.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @ADGS - did the 50th tick the appropriate boxes for you? I loved it, though the zygon bit dragged on a tad, and I preferred the old zygon costume.  Why couldn't they just let zygons be zygons?<div><span style="font-size: 10pt;"><br></span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;">The whole thing redoubled my irritation at</span><span style="font-size: 10pt;"> </span><span style="font-size: 10pt;">Christopher Eccleston though.</span></div>
  • Nah, fuck Eccleston. Couldn't have had him as the Doctor from the War without the line about his ears in 'Rose' becoming very odd. I bloody loved it, and may have spent the last 15 minutes or so rather misty-eyed, both times I watched it. All the other webisodes and such have been thoroughly entertaining, too.<div><br></div><div>I liked how minor the Zygon plot was, and that the redesign wasn't as severe or shit as that used on the Cybermen, Earth Reptiles or Ice Warriors, let alone the iDaleks.</div>
  • edited November 2013
    I loved it too, brilliant. Pleased to hear the old theme tune, and it was glorious to see all the Doctors at the end. "I don't want to go" got me a bit misty eyed too. Thank god there was no Donna.
  • Oh I loved it, and it was a real tearjerker.<br><br>@ADGS: I agree that Eccleston couldn’t have been the ‘War Doctor’ as he has clearly just regenerated in ‘Rose’ (though McGann could have been). I just felt that there were several points where he just should have been there – in particular the “one who regrets and one who forgets” scene, and the ‘we’ll blow it up together’ scene, and also the final farewell bit. As good as Hurt was, I think I would have preferred a ‘four doctors’ scenario with McGann, Eccleston, Tennant, and Smith.<br><div><br></div><div>@Ali - good spot!</div>
  • I thought Peter C's flash on the screen  show some hints on what  he is going to be like
  • Valid points, Arkady, but if Eccleston's going to be a dick about it, that's his look-out. He's the one who'll have to explain it to his unimpressed grandchildren in 15 years' time. Yes, McGann would have been fun, but the idea of a whole forgotten incarnation is pretty good too, and he did at least get to reappear online.