Comments

• <P>If that lady really is being careful  about her husbands Crones disease   she would make sure that she wouldn't be buying items with yellow discount stickers all over them.  It is  a pretty obvious hint to have a look at the label.</P> <P> </P> <P>Tescos should be more carful !  I wonder what % is actually out of date </P> <P> </P> <P> </P>
  • I've occasionally found non-yellow sticker products past use-by on the shelves - but even yellow sticker stuff shouldn't be on sale after the use by date. 
  • I don't understand why this woman kept buying the stuff though. Either leave it on the shelf and move on or tell a member of staff but don't keep buying it then complain to the local rag.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I wish that the sell by and use by date system could be abolished immediately. I take no notice of it at all. If something smells, tastes or looks weird we chuck it out otherwise we eat it regardless of whether it's past sell by date. I bought a load of plastic treetopper stars at Tesco the other day, they had a sell by of July 2014 on them! Ridiculous load of old nonsense. I see how it helps supermarkets to rotate their stock but for normal humans eyes and noses are usually adequate tools to judge whether or not food is eatable. As you can tell, this whole issue makes me very cross indeed.
  • @yagamuffin, isn't that her point though - that she has complained both in-store and to their head office several times over the course of more than a year, yet they continue to sell it? It reads to me like she buys it to have the receipt as proof of their failure to respond/tighten procedures.
  • Maybe you're right Vetski, I just read the bit, <span style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">“Almost every time I go in there I find several items that are out of date and either buy them or hand them in."</span><div><span style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">All just seems rather bizarre to me.</span></div>
  • Have you always been this cynical and suspicious?
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Well, it could be worse.  It could be like the branch in Haggerston...</font><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><br></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">http://haggerston-tescos.tumblr.com/</font></div>;
  • @Misscara, wouldn't work for fresh produce, which is what she's got on her lap in the photo.<div><br></div><div>@quince, did you know that SGR Tesco has its own FB page? Customer created, and entitled 'Britain's Worst-Run Tesco'! <a href="https://www.facebook.com/groups/170649529746748/" style="font-size: 10pt;">https://www.facebook.com/groups/170649529746748/</a>.</div>;
  • @vetski - I didn't!  Thank you.  <div><br></div><div>Bit unfair though.  The SGR store is substantially better than it was only a few months ago, the occasional vegetable shortage notwithstanding.  I developed a greater sympathy for the staff after watching an old lady painstakingly rearrange a section of the display according to her own personal psychosis.  It's not all their fault...  However, I do wish they'd stock curry leaves again.</div>
  • The FB page was set up quite some time ago, when it was REALLY atrocious. I haven't been in for a little while, glad it's better! I think Ash at Stroud Green Fruit & Veg stocks curry leaves.
  • Almost every grocer on that stretch of SGR stocks curry leaves and Ash's shop has a better, seasonal and cheaper selection of veg than Tesco. I am always amazed to see people loading up a basket with manky Tesco fruit & veg when there's a brilliant greengrocer less than a couple of minutes walk away.
  • I agree, miss annie. I don't take notice either. Unless it's eggs, fish, or chicken. I once ate a yogurt that was over a month over the date. It tasted just fine. I have a sensitive nose and great taste buds.<br>I also have a stomach that can digest nails and bricks. haha. <br><br>Those stickers are probably good for those who don't have any sense of smell, and with it loss of taste (yes, it exists). We're throwing away far too much in our society and it's shocking!<br>
  • I guess I must be really unlucky with the fruit and veg shop. Whenever I go in everything always seems old and tired and limp and unappetizing. Conversely, Tesco's veggies always seem really fresh.
  • The thing that really gets me is when they leave the special offer signs on the shelf after the offer's ended. E.g. "any two herbs for £1.50" and then the discount doesn't go through. I spotted this last week - the offer had ended ten days earlier. By leaving the signs out so long I imagine dozens of customers bought two and got ripped off. This borders on criminal (unfair pricing practices) and I reported it to Islington Trading Standards via the Citizens Advice consumer helpline. I'd encourage anyone else who spots the same thing to report it so that any pattern can be spotted over time.
  • edited November 2013
    Try that new Italian restaurant called Tufo on Fonthill Rd nr the station. It is a great place and lucky to be run by the excellent and very friendly Paola. The food is ace and it is a nice place to go with a party eg a birthday. It has got some great reviews, Maureen Lipman and David Soul have been seen there and like I said Paola is beyond brilliant . And the food and drink is totally F R E S H!! Like the lovely Paola. ;) Chang
  • @yagamuffin Are you sure it's Ash's shop you're in? Supermarket stuff might look fresh due to being frozen for weeks but it tastes of nowt. I bought gorgeous English Cox's apples in Ash's today - recommended. Supermarket veg doesn't keep as well as fresh veg and the fruit doesn't ripen because of the way they store it.
  • The best place for fruit ( they don't do veg more sadly) is Danny's stall nr the station. Cheaper than Tesco and the mangos may make you fart but they are great. Chang
  • Alex,  If you are over charged go back to the Customer Services (where  the fags are) and get  a refund.  They  will give you double the mistake (read  the notice on the door to the right of the till at Customer Services.  It will then show up on the shop numbers and you will be in pocket.
  • I've had several bad veg experiences at Ash's which has put me off.  On a good day fruit and veg from Ash's or the other place by The Old Dairy are great, but I feel there is a higher likelihood of there being something properly wrong with them, while Tesco is a bit more consistent.  It's also cheaper if you go for the special offers.<br>
  • Only had good stuff from Ash.
  • I buy my fruit and veg normally on Dalston market, also my eggs. Oh, those eggs are just delicious. Been to the market for the past 6 years and have my favourite stalls. Always a good chat, too.<br>
  • I got overcharged the other day, because the 'any 5 for £3' on yoghurts and mousses suddenly no longer included mousses. The creep on Customer Services insisted this meant any five yoghurts *or* any five mousses, never mind that it had been mix & match in the past, never mind that there's only one sort of mousse. He eventually, grudgingly, gave me back the overcharge - but definitely not twice the overcharge, and that only because I had the utter lack of shame required to block the queue until he caved in.
  • I feel for the staff in Stroud Green Road Tesco because none of this stuff is their fault.<br><br>Understaffed<br>Closed tills with massive queues and shunting of people to self service<br>Not enough people manning self service<br>Entirely predictable times when the shop will be devoid of food<br>Rubbish selection of food<br>Rubbish selection of wine and beer<br>Random removal of popular items from sale<br><br>Tesco's senior management should be made to spend a week here to learn what is wrong with their business.<br>
  • There will be people from Head Office working there in the lead up to Christmas
  • Closed tills will be their fault. They have quite a lot of staff there if you actually look around and count them. How they are used and what they are tasked with is the shop manager's decision, he seems to have more staff allocated to stock rotation than tills.
  • AliAli
    edited November 2013
    <P> </P>