Dentist

edited November 2013 in Local discussion
What number SG Road is the ex Dr Shah surgery?

Comments

• 105 SGR, but I wouldn't recommend using them now.   I won't go back there after my last dreadful experience.  Such a shame Dr Shah retired, he was fantastic.  
  • Oh no , didn't know he had retired :(
  • Nearly two years ago, I think?
  • Any decent dentists round here then?
  • There are various threads about local dentists on this forum.
  • From reading them I think the bad dentist was Dr Shah's temporary replacement. Dr Khan, who I saw, seems good. Calm with baby and definitely didn't pressure me into having anything more than the free NHS check-up for him. Would recommend.
  • Oh good - I tried booking an appointment with and Dr Khan was fully-booked for at least a week, presumably that's a good sign!<br>
  • I do not recommend Karpadia, at Smilecare, Archway. I rather doubtfully moved there post-Shah (what a loss, when he retired), and was not impressed by the couple of check-ups I had. He and the nurse are both brutal, armed with their respective equipments. Butchers carving up their meat would appear gentle by comparison. Today I was told he was running late. 45 minutes later, I was summoned. No apology, no explanation. After a sharp exchange of words, I marched off. So. Where next? I bet he doesn't treat his private patients that way. Greedy pigs, dentists, in my notsohumble opinion.
  • <div><br></div><div>I have had a spectacularly poor experience at the Hanley Road Practice (I am no longer registered with them) and I am looking for another dentist, too...</div>
  • AliAli
    edited January 2014
    <P>Chceksi</P> <P> </P> <P>According to Dentistry  Mag the average English Dentists earn  <A href="http://www.dentistry.co.uk/news/dentists’-nhs-earnings-fall-82">http://www.dentistry.co.uk/news/dentists’-nhs-earnings-fall-82&lt;/A&gt;&lt;/P&gt; <P>They must look into a lot of mouths quite a few that are probbaly quite unpleasant for that</P>
  • less than £78k  and have a cut of over 8 % in the past year. 
  • Ali, that sounds good, particularly the 'nervous patients welcome'. I'm a wreck when I need to go. Been in Stokey up to now and was quite happy with them, despite the x-ray machine being held together by Gaffa tape. As soon as I sit in that chair, I'm reduced to such a mess that they actually said it would be better to have me sedated. <br>Sedated? Really? I think a massive hit over the head would be more suitable. Oh, I hate going to the dentist. And I don't even have bad teeth. :-(<br>
  • edited January 2014
    Sounds plenty to me, Ali. As for private: £600, to replace a crown? That's what my neighbour's CE dentist charged. He reckoned it was a fair price for his skill. Anyway. Thanks for Pickering, Ali. I used to belong to them years ago, and they were OK, until they too got greedy, and rushed through my root canal job so fast that I nearly fainted from the pain, afterwards. Two, maybe three people in the street (SGR) have recommended Torrance in Seven Sisters Rd, opposite-ish Durham Rd. Any comments?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I recommend the Colney Hatch Dental Practice, just on the other side of Muswell Hill.  Very efficient, NHS patients accepted, always had good treatment there.  
  • I use Torrance - sadly, my dentist is reducing her hours. It's quite a big practice - maybe 15 dentists? I've only been treated by a couple of them; my own is lovely, and the 2 others I've seen seemed fine. I am the epitome of the nervous patient... It's very popular, though, which means that there can be quite a wait for a non-emergency appointment.
  • Ive used Torrance who were ok - unfortunately my dentist there left at the end of last year - any recommendations from people that already use them as to which dentists there are good / gentle with a nervous patient?<br>
  • I've just been to Torrance, in 7 Sis Rd, opposite Durham Rd. Excellent in every way. I was so pleased. My dentist was called Sarah. I didn't catch her assistant's name They were both lovely, as were the Reception staff and - everybody else!
  • Whatever you do, don't go to 105 SGR.  I went on the recommendation on here and hand't been to a dentist for nearly ten years.  I didn't need fillings...but they coaxed me into having my teeth cleaned for the non-nhs price. I did it because the dentist seemed nice and they weren't doing any other work.  I was supposed to get a deep clean but it felt and looked like an ordinary clean.  The last time I went to the dentist (a different one, who isn't in the same place anymore) I only needed a clean too and it was the same but on the NHS.  I didn't realise I'd been conned until I got home.  <div><br></div><div>I know, I should have complained to a watchdog.</div><div><br></div><div>Don't go to 105 SGR.</div>
  • When did you go? That might have been in the interregnum between Shah and the current dentist.
  • About May 2012.  It wasn't Mr Shah but a woman dentist.  He had retired but I didn't know until I went there.<div><br></div>
  • Sounds like Torrance is worth a visit. They're the ones who don't mind nervous patients, right? I feel I need t go. Haven't been in three years or so. It's time for a check-up. If only I weren't so scared. <br>
  • Sarah @Torrance was, amongst other things, concerned that I shouldn't be in pain - and I wasn't.
  • That would be a disaster or anesthesia gone wrong if you were. ;-) Unless you had an infection. And I keep telling myself the same thing as pain is something I'm worried about the most. When I was a kid, I had this really quick, sharp pain and, in reflex, jerked my head away. The dentist got really upset and shouted at me, saying to my mum that he'll finish this treatment and then never wants to see me again. Horror! <br>I also think that dentists took advantage of me when I was a kid, filling me up with fillings I probably didn't need. My teeth are quite all right and I used to have gaps of up to five years, then only needed a cleaning. :-( <br>
  • <P>Dont they use a derivative of Cocaine to numb you </P> <P> <BR></P>
  • edited January 2014
    I don't think that cocaine (or similar) counts as anesthesia, it's a stimulant if I'm not mistaken. <br>
  • Cocaine was originally used to numb the gums and as a cure for toothaches.<br>
  • Right. Well ... Frankly I don't care what numbs my pain if I go to the dentist. I wish I could opt for being knocked out under GA.<br>
  • There are some sedation clinics around @Stella, to which your dentist can refer you - mine is going to do just that if I ever need another crown or a deep filling, because the process is a nightmare for both of us!