Best Christmas House in SG

edited December 2013 in Local discussion
The first nomination is for 48 (I think) Hanley Road. Billions of lighrs, snow, an igloo and more!<div><br></div>

Comments

• You do know Father Christmas is not real don't you?
  • I find houses lit up like a runway  grotesque especially in the current climate of extreme fuel poverty
  • The one on Hanley Road is incredible isn't it!? I hope it's water proof...<br>
  • Really? Grotesque? If someone wants to spend a bit of cash on bringing some Christmas cheer to their neighbourhood then good on 'em I say.
  • The Hanley Road house is great. I'd never do my home but I am a sucker for a Chrismas light fest.<br><br>Apparently some scumbags stole the snowman though. There's a note outside.<br>
  • @yaggamuffin - a few christmas lights brining cheer is fine. Whole houses and roofs covered in flashing lights is a bit too much. The environmental impact is a another downside. 
  • You can't give your electricity to someone else, so linking it to fuel poverty is a bit tangential.<div><br></div><div>The environmental bit is probably a bit more legit, but definitely in the 'bah, humbug' category.</div>
  • By increasing the overall amount of energy used do we not push up prices?
  • @Sutent. Will you be going on hunger strike in solidarity with those who will be hungry this xmas too?
  • "You do know Father Christmas is not real don't you?"<br>Detritus, you're a cruel man :(<br>
  • I get my energy from Ecotricity (basks in halo of smugness). Am I allowed a flashing Rudolph?
  • @arkady - With slightly-too-many Christmas lights? When the regulator admits they can't draw any correlation between demand, generation and raw fuel costs? LOL. Yeah, why not. 
  • @Mirandola Have a brace of them! The lights are LEDs so there is little environmental impact, and they cost virtually nothing to run.
  • Lots of nice solar fairy lights around now, give a few hours twinkle even on the dullest day, (use them all the time on the boat)
  • We have them in the trees in our garden. They aren't quite bright enough for my tastes but pretty none te less.
  • Would love some in my garden. Sad about the missing snowman, unless he's ran off to Iceland, hope he sends a postcard if he doesn't re appear.
  • How about the happy compromise of Humbugs dipped in Kerosene?<div>Everyone happy now?….no thought not.</div>
  • Typical SG convo. Nice gambit suffocated by self righteous Guardian reading veggies. Miss Amnie is a shining exception. And Pauline. Chang
  • I've long dreamt of becoming rich, buying a grand Georgian house somewhere fancy, decorating it in tasteful manner and generally lulling the neighbours into complacency. Then, on the 1st of October, I'd unleash the tackiest Christmas decorations ever complete with 12 foot inflatable Rudolph on the roof, Blackpool illumination elves and Santa belting out Slade.
  • <span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; line-height: 25px; "><a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.stroudgreen.org/profile/Mirandola" style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; outline-width: 0px; outline-style: initial; outline-color: initial; font-weight: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-size: 16px; font-family: inherit; vertical-align: baseline; text-decoration: none; color: rgb(99, 127, 68); border-style: initial; border-color: initial; ">@Mirandola<;/a></span><div><font class="Apple-style-span" face="'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif"><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: 16px; line-height: 25px;">Yay! just do it! That would be great, buy two, one at each end of the street!<sniggers> oh..but, yeah, there is always <a href="http://www.stroudgreen.org/discussion/4870/house-prices#Item_21">this</a>.</span></font></div><div><font class="Apple-style-span" face="'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif"><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: 16px; line-height: 25px;"><br></span></font></div><div><font class="Apple-style-span" face="'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif"><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: 16px; line-height: 25px;">But on a more pertinent note, and as we all know, the whole idea of Christmas decorations on a Georgian house would have been an anachronism. Christmas as such was borne out of an early Victorian, middle brow, sub-scholarly fascination with Pre-Cromwellian festivities, and the associated mania to revive them </span></font><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; line-height: 25px; ">(or their own misconception of them)</span><font class="Apple-style-span" face="'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif"><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: 16px; line-height: 25px;"> as they saw fit. It is quite true to say the figure of Christ, let alone the celebration of his </span></font><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; line-height: 25px; ">(or possibly </span><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; line-height: 25px; ">her</span><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; line-height: 25px; ">?)</span><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; line-height: 25px; "> birth, was completely unheard of in England, and therefore Stroud Green until, at the earliest -1832. So, as you can now plainly see, the whole Georgian house plan, from start to finish is just an utter fiasco. </span></div><div><font class="Apple-style-span" face="'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif"><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: 16px; line-height: 25px;"> </span></font><div><font class="Apple-style-span" face="'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif"><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: 16px; line-height: 25px;"><br></span></font></div></div>
  • You'll be saying reindeers can't fly next.
  • edited December 2013
    I heard Coca Cola invented reindeers - they don't actually exist<br>
  • If they don't exist, then what are restaurants in Finland actually serving when a menu says 'reindeer'?! Actually, no, don't answer that...I think I'd rather remain unenlightened...
  • A couple of weeks ago I went to the Christmas market at the Swedish church in Marylebone. The reindeer stall was doing a brisk business, tempted, but it just seemed so wrong this time of year.
  • Any news on the missing snowman ?
  • Reindeer are actually cats with sticks stuck to their heads.<br>
  • A lot of Rudolph,s are imposters. I met the real one in Wood Green High St many Christmases' ago , he was HUGE, with an air of magic around him to match . The whole high-street were mesmerised.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited December 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.