Christmas gifts needed for a good cause

edited December 2013 in Local discussion
<div>Our librarian Vicky has kindly agreed to place a box in Stroud Green & Harringay Library from today until next Wednesday (December 4 - 11) to collect gifts for this worthy local cause. Please help if you can.</div><div><br></div><div>Lesley writes: "As we get closer to Christmas, I’d like to ask if you have any unwanted items that could be given as Christmas gifts to torture survivors in London. I work for this wonderful charity http://www.freedomfromtorture.org/ (which is just up the road from Harringay, near Finsbury Park) who help and rehabilitate men, women and children who have fled to the UK after suffering torture in their home country (such as Sri Lanka, Iran, Afghanistan, Democratic Republic of Congo of Turkey).  Our clients were tortured for many reasons; including their ethnicity, religion, sexuality, political views or for simply being in the wrong place at the wrong time.</div><div><br></div><div>As well as having to live with the trauma of experiencing torture, the majority of our clients live in extreme poverty, living in frankly quite grim shared accommodation, and reliant on NASS support of just £36 a week.  Others are destitute.</div><div><br></div><div>Some of the staff here are collecting unwanted items to be given as Christmas gifts to our clients, most of whom very rarely receive a gift of any kind. I wondered if any of my neighbours might be able to donate something. Anything that could be given as a gift would be gratefully received; unwanted toiletry sets, hats/gloves, children’s toys , new/good as new clothing etc. Sealed but unwanted chocolates etc would be wonderful, but I realise this is less likely :-)"</div>

Comments

• I would be delighted to donate. Will be down at the library this weekend.
  • Will be happy to. And have tweeted this from the WI account as well.
  • Happy to donate too and will pop up to the library. I have also contacted the charity to see if they want some baby clothes and nappies for their clients as I would be happy to pass on the stuff that my two have outgrown.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited December 2013
    I would suggest contacting the charity directly to see if they need items which don't come under the list above. If they do - and you don't have transport - then I would be happy to take them for you when I deliver the other stuff. But I would prefer to take bigger items directly rather than via the library as it is quite unusual to get agreement for a library to be a collecting point for goods for a charity and I don't want to overwhelm them. Let me know - and you could also post useful info for others as to what is needed at the same time.