Local newspaper article on shopping locally this Christmas

<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Hi. I'm trying to encourage people to join the North London </font><a href="http://www.credit-union.coop/" style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;">credit union</a><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"> and shop local this Christmas.  This is the </font><a href="http://www.tottenhamjournal.co.uk/news/features/comment_small_changes_can_make_a_difference_this_christmas_1_3085896" style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;">article</a><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"> I got printed in the local newspapers this week (the Ham & High and Tottenham Journal).  Let me know what you thin.</font><div><div><div><br></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><i><br></i></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><i>Christmas is a time when many people struggle financially, so Lib Dem councillors have been working to promote our local credit union as a much cheaper alternative to payday lenders like Wonga and The Money Shop.</i></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><i><br></i></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><i>The London Capital Credit Union offers low-cost loans to help people who are struggling with the costs of Christmas, and also encourages people to start saving so that they are less likely to need a loan next year.</i></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><i><br></i></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><i>Both Hornsey and Wood Green MP Lynne Featherstone and I are members and we are urging local residents to join to make the union a bigger success, so it can help even more local people avoid loan sharks and expensive payday lenders.</i></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><i><br></i></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><i>For those looking to save, the union gives you a return on your investment through regular dividend payments and your money could help a family pay for Christmas.</i></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><i><br></i></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><i>The coalition government has given its support to the credit union movement and recently invested £38million to expand credit unions. If you want to join the credit union to borrow or to save, you can sign-up online at www.credit-union.coop.</i></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><i><br></i></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><i>There is a lot we can all do at Christmas to help local small business too. For many independent small firms, Christmas can be a make-or-break period. That’s why the Lib Dems have been campaign for free, not half-price, Christmas parking.</i></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><i><br></i></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><i>Local shopkeepers have been up in arms since the Labour-run council doubled parking charges last year – hitting business in our local high streets.</i></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><i><br></i></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><i>In contrast, the Liberal Democrats have been campaigning for 30 minutes of free parking in local high streets and at local shopping centres. This would boost local trade by allowing people to stop at local shops, park and buy a few things instead of going to a supermarket and parking there.</i></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><i><br></i></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><i>Please do what you can to keep the small businesses and shops that give our borough its character by shopping local. Buying a few Christmas presents at a small local shop instead of buying them at a large chain can make a big difference and it doesn’t take much effort.</i></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><i><br></i></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><i>By making a few small changes, like opening an account with the credit union or by shopping locally this Christmas, you could make a big difference to local families and businesses who are struggling over the festive period.</i></font></div></div></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><br></div>

Comments

• edited December 2013
    Indeed ... think global ... act local ...
  • Shop Local Day is today and is a great initiative to get those who perhaps don't usually support their local shops to give them a try. They are going for it in quite a big way in Crouch End, everyone was talking about it at Barboot last night. So, today is the day for everyone who moans about Tesco to have a chat with Tony the butcher, Ash the greengrocer, the guys in Vagabond, lovely Sarah in Hettie Holland and all the other independent shops. Let them show you the fantastic array of local delights at the heart of our commmunity.
  • What miss annie said.
  • It's a good idea. It's a shame that Wilson is making it an occasion for political point-scoring yet again ...
  • edited December 2013
    1. cut the guy some slack ... 2. err? ... he is a politician ...
  • I don't mind politicians, but making this into an anti-Labour thing is counterproductive.
  • Agree. I like Cllr Wilson as a person and he does a good job but the Lib Dem PR spin in this piece undermines the story. I'm pleased they are doing their bit on this but i seem to remember they closed and sold off the library in Hanley road where I studied for my vet exams, so they will never get my vote again. that was a very un-local act of vandalism. And The flats are hardly gonna win a grand design award are they? Chang
  • Thanks for your feedback everyone.  I hadn't realised it was Shop Local Day when I posted - great timing!<div><br></div><div>As Leader of the Opposition on Haringey Council it is kind of my job to criticise the Labour-run Council when I think they have got it wrong (as I do over their decision to double parking charges).  I'm sure people would find it strange if Ed Milliband as Leader of the Opposition in parliament didn't occasionally criticise the Government....</div>
  • I went to Fruit and Veg and got my veg, and then onto a small shop for bread and milk.  It was so much easier than shopping at Tesco.  Although, F and V did  not have a vegetable I wanted.  
  • I get all my fruit and veg from the Cypriot shop in green lanes. Only place I can get okra
  • Okra is great for bowel complaints as the fibre combined with the natural starch 'glue' give a perfect tonic and reduce persistent flatulance (latter true for cats anyway). Indian food frim Dahomia has a lot in it. Given the moaners round here it is a pity SG's veg shops do not stock it. I would imagine there is considerable demand, specially on the Harringey side of SGR. Chang
  • I only had okra in Asian type cooking until I went to Crete and stayed with my friends mum. Its very popular there and tastes wonderful with dill. Hence why popular in green lanes. Not sure as a windbreaker though Chang?
  • edited December 2013
    I usually shop local, mainly Londis and Green Lanes, am tring to use SGR but cant find a nice friendly place to have a coffee between the PO and SHR. I also try and do my little bit promoting local businesses , artists, crafters ect via Fb and Twitter. Went to the market on green lanes today, some lovey stuff and very friendly sellers, keen to let you sample the nibbles, silly me went to early to see the lantern parade.
  • @ Cllr Richard Wilson - I suppose the reason this one made me sigh was that Shop Local is about encouraging a sense of community and local loyalty (as well as obviously spending money in local shops) - and so to highlight division and score local council points just seemed poor timing/ taste. Obviously it's what politicians do, but it would have been nice (and possibly more productive) just to hear you encouraging us to shop local, without the partisan spin.
  • @Toddlesocks, have you been to Vagabond?
  • cllr Wilson. I agree with your points but you appear to have ignored the bit where when the lib dems were in charge they also whacked up parking charges and over zealously pursued shoppers and visitors in Stroud Green parking bays. if you are holding your hands up and saying that was wrong then I salute you. Are you?
  • @Papa L: I think that is Islington Lib Dems not the Haringey ones ... each side of SGR is patrolled by one or other Council. .... the Islington Cllrs don't have the bottle to post here ... so at least a big 'well done' to Haringey's Cllr Wilson for being available for comment ...
  • Over zealous traffic wardens have long been a curse of both sides of the Stroud Green divide.<br><br>I recall a farce involving a lack of parking and confusing pay and display machines on the Haringey side - ie you couldn't actually buy a ticket for some times of day. Not sure if this was fixed.<br><br>I appreciate Cllr Wilson and think he is a good chap but if you are aiming to score political points you can't only do so for your party on your side of a street, you also have to take responsibility for its actions on the other side of the road.<br><br>I guess my questions is does Cllr Wilson now say that Lib Dem policies that cracked down on parking were wrong? <br><br>Will he support doing something about Stroud Green's ludicrous 8.30 to 6.30pm six day a week restrictions?<br><br>The 30 minutes free parking idea is a good one. I have been banging on about such an idea and possible suggested it myself many years ago on here. (Although I doubt this was were the plan alluded to earlier came from.)<br>
  • My mum and dad popped round unexpectedly for a very quick cuppa yesterday on their way back from a cemetery visit. If a kind soul from this forum hadn't previously gifted me some short stay vouchers they would have been clobbered with a match day fine for a half hour visit as it was a match day Sunday. Unfair!
  • @ vetski I haven't yet, I am so out the loop with being away for 2 yrs. Googled it, looks just the type of place i had been hoping for. Thanks for the heads up , will nip in this week :)