SG Cycling Club

edited December 2013 in Cycling Club
Okay, it was suggested to start a cycling club. I have no idea if anyone is interested, but I could imagine it would be a fun way to get out the bikes, talk bikes, maybe talk minor repairs, and, of course, ride our precious bikes. I doubt we'll get more than three or four people together for each 'get together', but that's fine, too. I'd be interested to ride in Lea Valley or maybe a bit further out, but have terrible sense of direction, which has kept me from longer rides.<br><br>We could (should) stop at a cafe or pub and just enjoy the day. What do you think? Anyone interested? Anyone route suggestions? Activities? <br><br>Or if this is a really daft idea, then let me know and I'll just crawl back under my rock. :-)<br>

Comments

• I am in.I usually do some of Sustrans routes out of London all amazingsly sign posted. southern train do good £5 return deals to the coast and have done lot of the South coast of England for nothing. <div><br></div><div>From Tottenham Hale you can catch the canal north and in no time you are in the sticks. When everyone gets tired get the train home.Lots of loveley pubs on the way</div>
  • Sounds good. Not sure how fit i'll be compared to everyone - maybe start with something easy!
  • Yes, I'm thinking about easy, too. I'm not super fit either. At least I don't think I am. I cycled a tiny bit with Alex from Micycle as we had to go the same direction, and his calves keep what they promise. Mind, I was on my Mamachari, which is a heavy bike. lol<br><br>Sutent, that sounds fab to me. I'd love to see the south coast. Maybe more something for the spring, though. Perhaps it would be a good idea to go for a local ride, for an hour or so two, to see at what level we all are? It could well be that we 'develop' two or three groups, of those who want to do proper touring for a whole day or two and those who just want to enjoy a nice and easy ride with a few people. <br><br>I'm open to both. <br>
  • Local easy ride sounds fine. Park sounds logical place to start followed by cuppa in cafe
  • Haha. Please don't suggest FP or Clissold Park. Hyde Park may be  nice. Or Richmond, to which I've not been. I hate hills, though. We could, however, meet up without bikes first and try to assess what people want. <br>Personally, I'd like to keep it light and fun.<br>
  • Hi I'm in - could also do a family ride somewhere. Train from FP takes you out of town quite quickly.
  • Yay! So that's four already. I have friend in the south of London, who'd most possibly be interested to join. Good opportunity to get in touch, as I keep forgetting to ask him how he is. <br>
  • We could do fp to battersea park thats a nice ride good cafe in the park and heading to south London so easy to meet up with your friends Stella. Count me in.
  • That sounds like a great idea. I've asked my friend, but he's not replied yet. I'm sure he'd tag along at some point, though. Cool to have you on board. I take it miss annie's coming, too? <br>
  • My friend will come. She lives on Chateris rd
  • Yay! Sounds like we're going to be a nice group. <br>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I could be interested. Haven't cycled since early autumn and need to do some kind of exercise as I'm piling on the winter pounds  
  • Brilliant, this should be right for you. Misscara, are you joining, too?<br>
  • Miss Annie won't be joining us, she has been grounded until March for having feminist thoughts and leaving the kitchen before the washing up was finished. I can't have that kind of free thinking devil may care woman who is trying to usurp power she has been reading Womans Realm and it's given her ideas.
  • I would be worried if there was lots of us out it may be better avoiding roads if possible. Canals and parks ideal.
  • Detritus, I just spit my tea at the screen. Thanks for the giggle.<br><br>Sutent: no canal after drinking ... haha. <br>
  • Careful, @Detritus, Annie has the WI behind her!
  • edited December 2013
    Trust me vetski I pick my battles accordingly and nothing will induce me to pick a fight with the WI. The WI can do vicious things with jam, knitting needles and icing bags that make grown men shudder. You know us both, who do you think wears the trousers here? We are going to have to hit a road at some point so lets go into the deep end and not piss about we are in Zone 2 of London can't avoid it. What about down Cally Rd then on the canal to Regent park short but can't ride in the park.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • There's a London WI cycling group, there are loads of members and they use the roads. Don't think you'll have any problems if you all obey rules of the road...
  • edited December 2013
    Uh, hope you get better soon, Misscara.<br><br>Agreed on the roads. I see plenty of cycling groups--large and small--on the roads. We just have to cycle behind each other. I doubt we'll be cycling with more than 5 at any date, because it's difficult to get people together on a certain date. <br><br>Having said that, maybe it's a good opportunity for those who are a tad scared on the roads to join us on an easy ride. <br>
  • So we've got some members what's the next step?
  • Should we all meet for a quick pint. Discuss routes,dates etc? Elect a leader?
  • I think meeting up would be a great idea. Just to put all suggestions into a pot. I think we could do different activities, all bike/cycling related. <br><br>Who's up for a meeting and when and where? <br>
  • <div><br></div><div>I am really tied up in the next week with xmas parties/ meetings in evenings etc</div>I can do Thursday 19th Evening though or xmas week
  • I can make time. <br>
  • Anyone up for an easy urban ride next Sunday, please let me know. If weather permits, that is. If it's as nice as this weekend or today, it should be a treat. <br>
  • Nope, I'm going to meet Commander Hadfield ex Commander of the International Space Station!
  • Name dropper.  Bye the way, I have the opportunity to meet a very famous film director this week as a friend is part of an event with him but I'm working.  Very tempted to bunk off though.