Our neighbour's guests stole our bikes

edited December 2013 in Local discussion
Last weekend my husband and I were woken up by what sounded like someone leaving noisily from the flat upstairs. We're on the ground floor and checked out the window and were dismayed to see a couple of blokes leaving with our bikes, which we normally leave in the communal entrance. My husband ran after them shouting "that's my bike" but they disappeared off down the road. The details are a bit vague, but it seems that our neighbour upstairs had a few people back from the pub for an after party, some of whom turned out to be thieving good-for-nothings.<div>Anyway, thought I'd put it out there a) as a cautionary tale about getting overly merry and inviting randoms back to your house b) on the off-chance that anyone has come across a pair of abandoned bikes - they are a very large men's Dave Quinn bike and a woman's old Rayleigh Routier road bike.</div>

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • That's horrible, hope you get them back. Similar happens to me a few yrs ago, had my beautiful old vintage tricycle stolen from our communal hall, gutted it was a wedding pressy from the inlaws :(. I now never leave a bike in the communal hall.
  • Aaw no @Toddlesocks. Our neighbour doesn't think he'll be able to find them - they stole his mobile as well! But said he'll help pay for replacements, which is nice.
  • Good to hear your neighbour is helping you. Like most people in London I live in a converted house that is divided into flats with a communal hallway.  I trust my neighbours who I've shared the house with for over ten years but I still wouldn't leave my bike overnight in the communal area.  If I did so, it would be locked.  It's the people passing through that can pose a risk.
  • How awful. Some people are just arseholes. One would think in the house they'd be safe. I used to have my bike in a communal entrance (only two flats, though), but anyone could have nicked it. Luckily it never happened. <br>Nice of the neighbours to help you out, still if a bike has sentimental value no money in the world could make up for it.<br>
  • It's only one flat upstairs and our neighbour is a nice chap who doesn't normally have dodgy people round! Still definitely going to lock them in the future...