Hanley Crouch Community centre/Laundry Club demolition?

edited December 2013 in Local discussion
Hi I received a letter yesterday outlining the planned demolition of the Hanley Crouch Community Centre/Laundry Club on Sparsholt Road N19 4EL and proposed construction of new housing. <br><br>I live very close, the Laundry Club is an active community hub and has been there for decades but I was unaware of any planned changes or discussion with the local community until this letter.<br>I've just tried to access more information online but no plans available so I have emailed the planning dept. but wondered if anyone here has any more information, was there any community discussion about this?<br><br>If interested planning ref is P2013/4924/FUL <br>http://www.islington.gov.uk/services/planning/planninginisl/plan_interest/Pages/planning-search.aspx?extra=7#header<br>;

Comments

• edited December 2013
    It suggests there is another application (<span style="font-family: arial, 'sans serif'; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19.5px; background-color: rgb(248, 248, 248);">P2013/4952) on nearby land (other side of Crouch Hill) which includes a replacement community centre:</span><div><br></div><div><span style="font-family: arial, 'sans serif'; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19.5px; background-color: rgb(248, 248, 248);">"The demolition of an existing single storey structure occupied by the Ivy Hall Community Centre (D1 non residential institutions use class) and also used as covered car park to construct a part-two, part-three, part-five storey mixed use building comprising of a new community centre (D1 non residential institutions use class) 1,000 sqm and 23 residential unit (8 x 1B2P flats, 11x 2B4P flats, and 4 x 3B5P flats)"</span></div><div><span style="font-family: arial, 'sans serif'; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19.5px; background-color: rgb(248, 248, 248);"><br></span></div><div><span style="font-family: arial, 'sans serif'; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19.5px; background-color: rgb(248, 248, 248);">THe Laundry is feeling pretty tired so hopefully this development will create a nice new multi-purpose community facility.  Be good to see the plans to make sure there isn't too much of a loss of space.</span></div>
  • Agree that seeing the plans for both sites is key,<br>However despite saying they can be viewed online, they are not currently available, which doesn't bode well in terms of care and attention to detail by Islington planning dept. I have requested that they make plans accessible asap, and I am told because of this there should be additional time added to the 'consultation' time.<br><br>Admit I am already biased , this development will completely change the area I live in and the community feel it brings. The building works are going to be pretty major, more parking problems ( I don't have a car), access and general light and life will be very changed. But will wait to see plans and hope to be pleasantly surprised!<br><br>
  • The new community centre/residential development at Ivy Park is viewable and looked quite good actually and will be a huge improvement to Crouch Hill.  Community space is bigger than either the Ivy Park or Laundry sites so will enable a greater use of activities, not sure how going from 2 to 1 sites will work practically though.<div><br></div><div>Will converting The Laundry to housing really change that area that much? It will just increase the roofline of the housing further west.</div>