Comments

• I have been told that if you have to ever shave a mole olive oil will help the regrowth of its fur.
  • Anyone remember the royal jelly craze twenty odd years ago.  I feel the same towards olive oil.  I use it to cook. Well for curries I use sunflower oil. But I love cooking Italian and other related food.  Anyhow, it's great stuff, but it's not wonder stuff and I wouldn't pay over the odds for different brands as i wouldn't pay too much extra for organic veg...
  • Krappy did a tasting for us at WI and the difference in taste between genuine olive oil and the cheap stuff is vast. The good stuff is delicious. The cheap stuff, in comparison, just tastes like oil. If budget allowed I would buy good olive oil, I'm with you on organic veg though. Seasonal from the greengrocer or allotment better than organic. I'm happy to be corrected, but shouldn't it be a flavourless oil like groundnut or something for curries?
  • I use olive oil for all my cooking and spread on bread. It contains a high quantity of high density lipoproteins (HDL - good cholesterol) which has significant cardiovascular benefits. I appreciate its not the most optimal oil in curry (ghee is probably the best) but the benefits outweigh the slight compromise in taste. <div><br></div><div>Kate - the washing machine story is hilarious. </div>
  • Curry, eh? I expect an invitation next time you cook it (chicken, please). :-)<br><br>I use olive oil for very dry hands (after a particularly dirty day with bikes and lots of scrubbing), or to reconstitute old and dry leather saddles, before smearing a generous amount of Palmer's cocoa butter on them. (Hand and saddles).<br>
  • I am vegetarian Stalla. I make a mean Okra curry fresh from the fruit and veg shops in green lanes
  • Ah, damn, I forgot. Well, I do make vegetable curry often, too, so that'll suit me and my goal of losing 10kg till May. :-)<br>
  • Stella that is a lot of weight in a 4 month period which may be unrealistic and unhealthy and very painful. Maybe focus on half that. A few 60 miles bike rides and you will easily be on track<br>
  • Nope, it's all good. I did the same last year and successfully. Eat better (more controlled, less sugary stuff), move the arse a bit more and voila, pounds come off. I eat healthily anyway, but I didn't exercise as much as I should. I never starve myself and I don't diet as I'm against dieting. No good for the body. High Intensity Interval training is the answer, coupled with cardio (longer bike rides). I didn't try losing weight the second half of last year, but didn't gain either. <br>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Avacado + olive oil + mayonnaise - forget the cat, I would eat that. Sounds yummy 
  • So we can find Sutent licking off Misscara's face mask in the future? I'd like to see that. Or maybe not.<br>
  • Sutent - glad someone noticed the washing machine bit!<div><br></div><div>Hello, Krappy? I feel sure you must have views on the proper uses of olive oil ...</div>
  • edited January 2014
    All I can say is that I hope the guy stuck in the washing machine didn't use the Extra Virgin Olive Oil the firemen found on the kitchen counter - expensive mistake!     Bog standard Virgin or ordinary olive oil would have done.    <br><br>If he did, I hope his partner gave him a good licking all over to get her money's worth.<br><br>This guy must have the most HDL-rich skin in Australia and will probably be able to sit on Bondi Beach for the next ten years without any risk from skin cancer - just the whole of the rest of the beach having a good laugh at him.   Bizarre uses of olive oil....I will research and blog on this when I have time. <br>
  • I reckon a warm olive oil bath would be great.<br>
  • edited January 2014
    @Idoru, see No 7 below.  I think a complete oil bath is more excessive than ass's milk.<br><br>Here are nine assertions about Extra Virgin Olive Oil (eight from Italy Magazine today, plus one):<br><br>1. A regular intake of extra virgin olive oil can decrease and maintain both your diastolic and systolic blood pressure.<br><br>2. Storing mackerel, sardines and anchovies in olive oil maintains the omega 3 oils contained within the fish.<br><br>3. Monounsaturated fatty acid (MUFAs), of which olive oil contains 75%, has been proven to protect against heart disease and cancer.<br><br>4. Applying olive oil to your hair will help repair the damage caused by extensive heat and styling products.<br><br>5. Ooleocanthal, one of the compounds found naturally in olive oil, has an anti-inflammatory action similar to those found in non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as Ibuprofen.<br><br>6. To maintain the health boosting properties within olive oil, it must be kept in a cool place and away from direct light. The oil properties are protected if stored in stainless steel tins or dark green or brown glass bottles.<br><br>7. Five tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in your bathwater will leave your skin feeling like silk. Italian actress Sophia Loren said the secret to flawless skin is regular olive oil baths.<br><br>8. A study was recently conducted at the University of Monastir in Tunisia demonstrating that regular consumption of extra virgin olive oil may protect the liver from cell damage associated with oxidative stress**.<br><br>9. Extra Virgin Olive Oil has been proven to be highly effective in cases of washing machine trauma in Australia (OK, I added this).<br><br>Finally, here’s something for our male readers (Italy magazine concludes): Should you find you’ve run out of shaving cream, wet your beard with hot water and massage in a few drops of olive oil and then shave as normal. Believe me, this really works, I tried it with three-day growth and I obtained a close shave with no razor burn and my skin felt great afterwards.<br><br>- See more at: http://www.italymagazine.com/featured-story/8-things-know-about-olive-oil#sthash.rY7ADBFq.dpuf
  • I'm going to try 7. <br>
  • Jonty just did this and the bath is like a chip pan and I almost broke my teeth slipping on the oily mat. Landlady Joyce will be mad about the bath which will take a day of degreasing. Might as well rub lard in your parts. Jonty is sitting in front if the gas fire looking like Jordan, very sulky and silky. I am drinking Guinness. Chang
  • A friend of mine massages a tiny amount of olive oil onto her baby after his bath on the recommendation of her midwife.
  • Chang how many guinesses have you had?
  • I think tonight I may not be Chang.<br>