Stray Cats

jtfjtf
edited January 2014 in Local discussion
What to do re: genuinely stray or feral cats.<div><b><u><br></u></b><div style="font-weight: normal;">Once you've checked as much as possible that it's not owned -</div><div style="font-weight: normal;">The RSPCA will arrange to come to your home and trap the cat - easier if you've been feeding it and it shows up at regular times.</div><div style="font-weight: normal;">They will neuter and treat if necessary.</div><div style="font-weight: normal;">And then either re-release, re-site or re-home the animal.</div><div style="font-weight: normal;"><br></div><div style="font-weight: normal;">Tel: 0771 294 180</div><div style="font-weight: normal;"><span style="font-size: 10pt;">They are coming to our home tomorrow to trap 2 un-neutered males who need a check over.</span></div><div style="font-weight: normal;">Will report any useful info :)</div></div>

Comments

• How did it go with the RSPCA?
  • edited January 2014
    Some charities do the same. They can also leave traps for you to trap them if they are unsuccessful themselves having limited time. <div><br></div><div>15 yrs ago a very skinny and terrified cat came into my kitchen to steal my dogs food. Seeing her do it a few times i bought food left it in the garden, turns out she had kittens hidden behind my shed, and a male cat visiting, he was looking after her kittens while she found food, very unusual i was informed.</div><div><br></div><div>A charity came out left me a large trapping cage to get her and the kittens, thankfully got the lot in  few days, Including the male.</div><div><br></div><div>It was their policy that if cats were deemed to feral for rehoming but had a food source where they were found they would return them after neutering.</div><div><br></div><div> I greed to feed the two adults if they were returned ( both were very skinny so obviously  did not have a good local  food source already), the male was returned in a few days. I felt so sorry for him loosing his partner and little family being as he was so caring and supportive of them, wished i had not called the charity and just carried on feeding but was assured the kittens would not have survived.</div><div><br></div><div>  They decided the female was also to feral to re home so returned her after  the kittens had been weened. I kept on putting food out for them and slowly but surely gained their confidence and they both eventually moved in with me, ( the female after a few months the male took about a year) us all living happily ever after. Two of the most affectionate and appreciative furry friends i have ever had.</div><div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • edited January 2014
    <div> They clip the tip of a feral cats<span style="font-size: 10pt;"> ear  before re freeing  so they know it has been neutering in future without having to trap it.</span></div><div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • jtfjtf
    edited January 2014
    Aw, what a lovely tale. Thanks for sharing :) So glad the male and female both moved in with you in the end. <div>Well Sutent, pretty good. They have caught one, which will be neutered and have found another with an injured paw. </div><div>Codie.. who i put a msg up about (in Aug) is probably going to be a bit trickier to catch.</div><div>Billy bookcase was able to shed light on his background.. seems to have adapted to being semi-feral but is still unneutered.</div><div>Thanks for your interest and interesting comment about ears being clipped to show neutering.</div>
  • edited January 2014
    Thanks for keeping us updated JTF great they have caught one.<div><br></div><div>Just checked out your past Codie  post, interesting, both the two i rescued ( leo and lilly) were black.<br><div><br></div><div>I think it was the cats protection league that left me a big trap basket for a few days.Big mesh metal cage they walk into to get food and when the stand on a little ramp bit in front of the food the back door closes behind them  they go berserk when this happens. I nipped out quick and part covered the cage with an old blanket so they felt hidden  and settled down quickly until collected.</div><div><br></div><div>Will keep finger crossed .</div><div><br></div><div><br></div></div>
  • edited January 2014
    In Vietnam they just put them in the cooking pot . Circle of life, and all that. There is that guy who does not kill feral cats but does collect their pelts after accidents at the archway junction and has quite a nice line in winter gloves. I was amazed to see them on sale. There are in fact probably too many such cats in London but its not as bad a Rome or Wakefield both of which are really over run in the historic centre. The stench can ruin your holiday walk. Chang
  • edited January 2014
    Amsterdam has boats with stray cats on them, surprising how many cats love life afloat.<div><br></div><div><a href="http://www.poezenboot.nl/?taal=uk">http://www.poezenboot.nl/?taal=uk</a></div><div><br></div><div>Maybe FP should have one on the boating lake.</div>