White Lion of Mortimer

I have decided I really like the White Lion of Mortimer. Straight forward people, no hipsters, high level of chat, people talk to each other a lot, very varied clientele, interesting mix and generally good-humoured. Yes or no?

Comments

• There is a new trend going down there.  They anoint each other in extra virgin olive oil . The more authentic, the better.  Straight from your grove is the best.  They feel their life will change as a result.
  • They also rub it into their food infested beards and dangerously light park drive cigarettes while looking at bet Fred website on mobiles. Not a patch on wby or Chapter One Chang
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Pint of IPA £1.99 great value
  • Its also open early in the morning. So if you fanvy a pint in the morning then good place to go and always people in there
  • edited January 2014
    Never  been in but the people outside always seem friendly enough, Wouldn't put myself in the Mrs Bucket range but do like a bit of atmosphere ( Olde worldly ,  nooks and crannies  , comfy  seats not to high, candles,  outside space, nice fire , decent food not to fancy and if poss some live entertainment) .<div><br></div><div> Maybe Mr T and i need to get down there quick to shore up the numbers of SG  oldies before the students take it over !<div><br></div><div><br></div></div>
  • edited January 2014
    The breakfast is lovely and a total bargain! What is a Mrs Bucket, is there a Mr Bucket?
  • edited January 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited January 2014
    <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">For a drop in place, and food  sounds like it ticks  the boxes.</font><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><font size="2"><br></font></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><font size="2"> We are really looking for  place near to nip to when we cannot be bothered cooking ,  which is most of the time.  If  I master the granny square could just leave them in there and they  might get the hint about the refurb and use them in it</font></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><font size="2"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Glad to hear not so suitable for romantic dinners,  nothing worse than trying to eat with other's around smooching about , Please   get a room, find a bush, don't do it at the table next to me especially with squelchy sound effects !</font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Have to say have found the middle aged  maybe been newly single after a long relationship  worse for it than the young.</font></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><div><font size="2"><br></font></div><div><br></div></div>
  • Agreed! Ostentatious PDAs are stomach churning, on the tube is worst of all. The Italian lady next to me on a packed Victoria line the other day must have had the cleanest ear in all of Christendom by the time her chap had finished loudly licking it!
  • Good beer selection (though not always well kept).  And the old photos on the wall are great.
  • @ miss annie -  eeeeeew  <div><br></div><div> How horrific, cant stand my own ear being licked never mind witnessing it happen to others. Going to have me all shivery for hours, poor you having to witness it,!</div><div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • That Mrs Bucket thing looks terrible!
  • edited January 2014
    The White Lion isn't the best Weatherspoon but it's not the worst.  Have had breakfast in a few.  Good beer selection.  And the meals are good value.
  • The coronet in Holloway rd is a stunning building
  • But run by dicks who enforce a level of quiet more appropriate to its previous life as a cinema.
  • But also an oasis from braying tarts from N4 according to My landlady Joyce. Chang
  • @Miscarra - I might drop into Spoonys in CE when shopping alone. <div><br></div><div>Us both being brought up in CE don't really like to go socially, anymore. Mr T  gets  especially twitchy if you mention CE and pub in the same sentence. Yrs ago he was persuaded onto an open mic in the Queens after being told there was a £100 prize , did a  version of Sid Vicious's My Way, including overturned tables, won the comp , then got told the prize was only a joke ( probably his friends idea than the staff). Hes glazed over ever since about CE pubs!<div><br></div><div>Been thinking maybe the Finsbury Park Tavern for his more energetic nights, hear they have had dancing on the tables in there recently  so cant be bad for free entertainment  at least. </div></div>
  • I came 2nd at a haven holiday camp with a truly appalling version of Jilted John by Jilted John. One of my proudest achievements. Been in the White Lion a few times, but I like rough pubs so it felt a bit posh for me.
  • edited January 2014
    <font size="2">@ Detritus, certainly impressive not the easiest  to cover!</font><div><font size="2"><br></font></div><div><font size="2">I nipped into the White Lion tonight  supposed to be for a quick coffee on the way back from the PO. Ended up staying nearly 3 hours so am not sure of it being good to drop into quick.</font></div><div><font size="2"><br></font></div><div><font size="2"> Guess it depends who's in there. I ran into  Big Cowboy Pete, who i know from the river, we were very surprised ,to run into each other here.  Apparently he is a very  well known SG character which shows how well i know SG Rd !  On hearing it was my first time in there, also his in quite a while since buying the boat ,   he took me under his wing  introducing me to it seems the whole  pub and half  people passing. The friendliest place have been in a long time. </font></div>
  • edited January 2014
    Yes leather hat and often cowboy boots, has family in Ireland, very well traveled . Big goaty  white beard, mid length  hair in pony tail , kindly face, likes his music , very good carpenter joiner. He is planing on being round SG again a bit more but who knows.