Who do you think you are ?

edited January 2014 in Local discussion
<p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal; font-size: 10pt;"></p><span style="line-height: 115%;">Apparently I am ‘the lady who likes cakes’.</span><div><span style="line-height: 23.000001907348633px;"><br></span><span style="line-height: 115%; font-family: Arial, Verdana;">A few days ago when in one of the local convenience shops ,  I reached the front of the queue ,the lady at the counter announced in a rather loud voice, ‘oh you’re the lady who likes cakes ‘. Then proceeded to show me a huge discounted Christmas cake thing pointing out it was on offer and is about to be reduced  a further £1 would I like it ?.</span></div><div><span style="line-height: 23.000001907348633px;"><br></span><span style="line-height: 115%; font-family: Arial, Verdana;">Gasp who me ?  I was a little stunned she saw me as ‘the lady who likes cakes’ (not  one of her best/ fav good natured and cheerful customers, even a sad ol hipster would have been better) suggesting I like cheap reduced cakes at that! (sure she was trying to be helpful, but really ). </span></div><div><span style="line-height: 23.000001907348633px;"><br></span><span style="line-height: 115%; font-family: Arial, Verdana;">To add to it  I am a little sensitive about the extra Christmas pounds that am still carrying and the queue seemed full of young fit svelte things not carrying an extra ounce.  Mortified and flapping, I launched into the tale telling the whole shop how the cakes are actually NOT for me but MR T as he is desperately trying to put on weight but can’t! How unfair it is since I am trying to lose it and only need to look at one to gain 5 lbs let alone eat any yada yada yada. Explaining he still got the last lot I bought so better decline the offer  or may get tempted myself ,to many sitting around at home.</span><p style="line-height: normal;"></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal;"><span style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; line-height: 115%;"> </span><br><span style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; line-height: 115%;">This garbled tale seemed to have half the shop looking on in sympathy sensing my obvious embarrassment, except the uninterested who looked suitably scornful at being held up while the whole sorry performance unfolded.</span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal;"><font face="Arial, Verdana"><span style="line-height: 27.599998474121094px;"><br></span></font><span style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; line-height: 115%;">Still can’t believe it!</span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal;"><font face="Arial, Verdana"><span style="line-height: 27.599998474121094px;"><br></span></font><span style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; line-height: 115%;">It is sometimes nice to live in a village type part of the metropolis,  when things like this happen really not . Just wanted to set the record straight I am NOT, NOT, NOT the Lady who likes cakes, (especially cheap cakes probably past the sell by date)!</span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal;"><font face="Arial, Verdana"><span style="line-height: 27.599998474121094px;"><br></span></font><span style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; line-height: 115%;">Be a long time before I feel comfortable buying any kind of  cake in SG again!</span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal;"><font face="Arial, Verdana"><span style="line-height: 27.599998474121094px;"><br></span></font><span style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; line-height: 115%;">Wondered if anyone else has had similar over </span><span style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; line-height: 15.333333015441895px;">familiarity</span><span style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; line-height: 115%;"> that were embarrassing, or maybe caught wind of being known as something, that was not quite fitting?  Also a chance to nip any mishaps in the bud by announcing what you would like to be known as locally!</span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal;"><font face="Arial, Verdana"><span style="line-height: 27.599998474121094px;"><br></span></font><span style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; line-height: 115%;">Been good  set that travesty strait ,will go make a strong cup of tea soak it up with a slice of Mr T’s Dundee Cake,( just a teeny slither of a slice )!</span></p> </div>

Comments

• edited January 2014
    Ping in Tollington's fish shop always sees us in the queue and without asking puts 2 savaloys and a pickled egg aside, going heavy on #saltnvinega . She never asks, knowing this is the menu choice of Lorne Road hipsters. I would rather be known as the sexy Chinese vet who likes cheap cakes than the sad f&@£er who has to get a savaloy for his missus. Enjoy yor Dundee cake(s).
  • You have my sympathy Chang,,<div><br></div><div> Hope Jonty and Mr Toddlesocks appreciate how we go above and beyond to keep them happy sacrificing our community credibility in the process. </div>
  • I find Chinese sexy, particularly vets ... ehem.<br><br>Toddlesocks, don't take it personally. I do understand the embarrassment. I'm mostly known for talking far too much and I can't seem to put a stop to it. :-) By the way, I'm a lady who likes Blackforest Cakes. I can easily go through a small gateau in two days. No problem at all. Re the extra pounds: I recommend cycling. <br><br>I do regularly buy a can or two of ciders in the shop across the road. Last time I went in at 10am or so, another customer in and the guy cheerily piped up, 'Cider, madam?'<br><br>My reply was, 'At 10am? Hardly.'<br><br><br>
  •  I understand about Blackforest cakes, they are very demanding with a mind of their own, jump of the shelves into   passing shopping baskets, then demand to be taken home and  eaten asap!
  • edited January 2014
    Best when they're still half-frozen! Delightful. I'm also a cheese cake connoisseur. Best cheese cake can be found at Spence in Church Street or in my kitchen, once I've found a flat and am able to use my oven again. <br>
  • Cheese cakes are worse trouble than Black forest, they demand to get eaten immediately, . I have discovered if you have a nice strong coffee with them you can eat two generous slices without even noticing. Just terrible!<div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • And that coming from a lady who declares she isn't the lady who likes cakes. *snigger*<br>
  • Miss Annie regularly describes me as looking like a crack head. Not overly happy about that.
  • edited January 2014
    <div>@ Detritus</div><div><br></div><div>It appears to be a much admired look in certain circles , you may be an unwitting SG fashion icon</div>
  • I don't hold with fashion, thats something that happened to other people. Annie told me the way I was dressed today looks like I am going on two separate holidays the top half with furry hat scarf and jumper and then shorts and boots.
  • God no if I never see that crap hole again it would be too soon. I'd rather holiday in Croydon!
  • Try www.ilovecroydon.com/cheaprooms Awesome. Chang
  • If your boots were matching,  all clothe clean and on the right way around you are doing far better than Mr T, gave up pointing out his wardrobe malfunctions yrs ago!