[...]

Comments

• That Crescent is a bit if a magnet for burglars cos the sight lines help avoid bein seein. Elephant hedge etc . And few places have net curtains so ppls One Direction CDs and iPads are on full show. Good warning for us all tho Chang
  • Just before christmas,  the MIL was in her  living room on MVR doing her physio exercises on the floor when a face appeared at the window   don't know who got more of a fright.They fled before she got to the door, so yeah best to keep valuables out of sight in front rooms. <div><br></div><div>Not the best idea to open doors and confront them either, tempting as it may be.</div>
  • One burglary and an attempted burglary in Lorne Road recently.
  • edited January 2014
    One attempted burglary on Lennox/Woodfall last week.
  • AliAli
    edited January 2014
    according to this there were 5 burglarys near to Lorne Road in December
  • This is a fun thread.  <br><br>We had our bikes nicked from our lock box in our front garden this week (Evershot Road).  We were asleep - didn't hear them break through the lock box lock, or the steel cable lock inside the box.  We were woken at 3:30am by the police who noticed the lock box was open and that there was a bike lent against our hedge.  Not one of ours, the thieves had obviously dumped the one they came on and left on ours.<br><br>And they're no the only thieves, we're now dealing with the insurance company.....<br><br>However I have done some research and am seriously upgrading the security on our lock box.  If anyone wants details, I'm happy to share.  For starters, look at these guys: http://securityforbikes.com/<br><br><br>;
  • edited January 2014
    @box runner, sickening, hope it all gets worked out soon.<div><br></div><div>Thanks for the link, was going to look into getting a lock box for the bikes now will be sure it also has best locks can find!</div><div><br></div><div>Its not so much the expense of a new bike but the hassle of finding a  suitable one again, bikes are such personal things. Hope all bike thieves legs fall of!</div>
  • Am really sorry boxrunner. That's horrible
  • @Toddlesocks yes I think that's wise.  The new security I've found is specifically for the inside of the lock-box.  There are broadly 3 approaches you can take to the outside of the box:<br><br>1. Do nothing, leave it open and let them see what's inside.<br>2. Fit a rubbish lock that provides some basic protection but is your intended weak spot in case of attack.<br>3. Fit a really secure lock that will cause thieves real problems getting in.  If they're determined they will find another weak spot (potentially ruining the lock box).<br><br>Choose your solution knowing that thieves will always try to get in, so what is the problem you want to be left to deal with after they've gone!<br><br>Rather than simply push the problem onto the next neighbour with a bicycle I'm happy to share anything I've learnt from all this so we can all beef-up security together, hopefully dissuading thieves from sniffing around our neighbourhood for easy pickings in the first place.<br><br>
  • @ boxrunner - Thanks for the tips, good advice.<div><br></div><div>I have attached  cowbells to my locks thieves don't like noise, maybe hanging something similar on the doors. . </div>
  • edited January 2014
    Today I saw a front and back wheel  still attached to the bike stand outside tesco, frame missing .<div><br></div><div> Remember to put locks through main part of the frame as well, at all times. </div>
  • @Toddlesocks - great idea!  Will look into putting something noisy on the door.<br>
  • Thanks for the tip.  Sadly none of them ours.<br>
  • A bit closing the barn door after the horse has run, but there's a bike register site where you can, unsurprisingly, register your bike: https://www.bikeregister.com/