"I choose not the suffocating anesthetic of the suburbs, but the violent jolt of the Capital…"

edited January 2014 in Local discussion
So yes I know this is Woolf 'reimagined' through the screenwriter, but how does the sentiment of it resonate today, where are we in Stroud Green?<div>Are we looking out to endless sprawl, or embracing an outwardly expanding centre? </div>

Comments

• I would say that Stroud Green isn't the centre but isn't suburbs. It occupies an automomous zone that isn't either.  Which I think is good.  The central and near central zones are becoming commodified zones. Once thriving artistic enclaves are being taken over<span style="font-size: 10pt;"> by city and tech boys.  </span><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;"><br></span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;">Saying that a huge Kafkaesque monstrosity is being completed by Finsbury Park station.  In return we get a theatre which caters for the sophisticate-wannabes who think nothing about exchanging a twenty in order to get a cultural fix. They might even get a glass of wine from Chang if they're lucky.  </span></div>
  • I don't really understand that comment about the theatre. I don't feel like a sophisticate (wannabe or otherwise) for pitching up to see a panto or play. Theatres have been around since time began they are not a modern invention, and Park is pretty accessible pricewise - even a discount for locals on Tuesdays. We are pretty firmly in Zone 2 and not the 'burbs, we live next to the busiest station outside zone 1and have every urban amenity. Anyone kidding themselves that they live in a village here is sorrily misguided. I love it here but it's not a pastoral idyll.
  • Miss annie, I love theatre and park theatre is a good addition.  I'm going to 'the keepers at infinitive space' next week.  On Tuesday.  Of course I'm aware that theatre isn't a recent invention, but don't the upper classes like to use it as a cultural high tea.  That's not to say others shouldn't like it and high tea can be delightful.<div><br></div><div>Here's to theatre for everyone and Park theatre bringing down their prices on other days, not just Tuesday.</div>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Cinema in town is close to £15 these days! Theatres almost everywhere are full of the same sort of demographic. Likewise art shows, ballet etc. That's an issue that's nothing to do with ticket prices as pubs are full of people spending more than the price of a theatre ticket on booze every night. It's just a choice about how you spend it.
  • I have never been to the theatre before park theatre opened. Nothing to do with money but more I never felt welcome at these places. No one I knew went, and I always thought the people in the theatre are very different from me. I have been to park theatre every month since it opened and have seen some very good plays and some not so. The worst was Shakesphere as I didn't understand the English at all. I am not sure what community projects park theatre are involved in, but it would be nice if people from other walks of life were in the crowd. 
  • edited January 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Maybe Park Theatre could take a leaf out of Arcola Theatre's book? They've been running successfully with their scheme and always have great plays on. It's also a small, intimate event and I love it.<br>Prices are lower in general, and on Tuesdays they have 'pay what you can' day. They recommend to pay at least a fiver, and it's very popular with the crowd. You need to queue for the tickets, but when I did it once, it wasn't too bad. <br>
  • edited January 2014
    <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Good points made by all of you.  Theatre productions are expensive to put on and I can understand the theatre having to charge more than £10 a ticket.  The Park Theatre being small doesn't have varying ticket prices which can be beneficial to people with a tighter budget.  I think £12 for local residents is a good price, and I understand that at the weekend they have to charge more.  Perhaps they could have a few pound off for local residents for weekend performances.  This probably would be good for business too.  </font><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;">I can't understand people paying £15 to go the cinema.  I go to the Rio in Dalston.  Top price £10 but if you go on Monday it's £6 and it has other discounts.  Lovely art deco cinema and they need your business as they're suffering from financial problems.  I tend not to eat in the cinema and just buy a coffee there or take a beer or water in my bag.</div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;">.http://www.riocinema.ndirect.co.uk/general/information.htm</div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;">I know football matches and big concerts are expenisive but this is a small local theatre, not west end.  It's still a great thing to have on our doorsteps.</div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><br></div><div><br></div>
  • edited January 2014
    Park does not get public subsidy and pays staff fairly, giving them unsold cakes etc. this is unusual (the funding...well and the cakes) and we should be grateful . Other places with theatres eg Stratford east, Richmond can only seem to do it with floods of tax payers money. And the bar staff often do part time shifts there and are lovely. Many ppl like there cakes. Chang
  • I do like cakes, yes. Chang
  • Cineworld does unlimited cards for £15 a month. there's a big one in Wood Green, just 20 mins away on the W3 and you get to see London from Alexandra palace on the way there, and back ... I'm not necessarily a big fan of Cineworld in general, but definitely a fan of going to the cinema twice a week for practically nothing :)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.