Year of the Bus

AliAli
edited January 2014 in Local discussion
<P>Boris launch today</P> <P><A href="http://www.itv.com/news/london/update/2014-01-27/year-of-the-bus/">http://www.itv.com/news/london/update/2014-01-27/year-of-the-bus/</A></P>; <P> No doubt we are going to be finding  out a lot on "interesting" facts about buses</P> <P>Here is one to get  going.</P> <P>The Routemaster is 60 years old this  year</P>

Comments

• Busses are wonderful. I have spent many hours outside bus garages
  • I dislike public transport, but I LOVE the Routemaster. Every time I see it, I have love hearts in my eyes. (I think.)<br>
  • The old ones, still running on the Heritage routes, are the bus of dreams. Not so keen on the new ones but they are a huge improvement on the standard bus.
  • The 38s are based on the Roadmaster's design, aren't they? I think it's lovely to continue with that legacy.<br>
  • I do really like the Alexander Dennis that the 91 runs on
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • <P>How about the B type bus being used to carry troops to the front in the 1st World War</P> <P><A href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGOC_B-type">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGOC_B-type</A></P>;
  • Cash fares will soon be abolished on the bus. You can just pay by tapping your debit card, it charges you Oyster fare not cash fare. It's a good idea I think, I use it a lot but the drivers aren't keen on telling people about it.
  • @Ali They have one of those buses in the Imperial War Musem, it's a beauty. My nephew was very taken with the idea of going to war in a bus when we visited.
  • We are so lucky with our cheap bus fares. I was in Cambridge on Friday and a short return bus trip cost £3.90. Thats £1.50 more than the equivalent trip in London. 
  • I don't like the idea of abolishing cash on busses. It may force some people to walk especially at night if busses don t take cash<div><br></div><div>Annie I only thought Barclaycard had a deal with London transport to offer contactless payment. Why cant all the busses do it or design an app on you phone you could use,. </div>
  • Anyone with an Oyster card will be allowed one jounrney into negative credit in case they don't have sufficient funds.  Buses already can't offer change for large notes so it's not really that big a change and as Miss Annie says now that more and more debit cards can be used on the Oyster readers even better. It's not just Barclaycard, it's an contact-less card.  I've used my HSBC card several times to help people on night buses who don't have any change/lost their oystercard.  This will soon be rolled out on the tube/national rail too!<br>
  • That is great that all contactless cards can be used now. So abolishing cash fares shouldn't be an issue at all
  • In a lot of European cities there's no cash contact with bus drivers.  In underground stations there's no one to buy tickets off.  You use machines to buy a ticket or pass.  It's awkward but people just learn to be ready.  I think there's a good compromise here with the drivers taking high cash fares to dissuade commuters from slowing down the service.  The debit/credit card system might help this situation.  What if people don't have enough money in their bank accounts?  There's a limit to the what ifs?
  • Contactless doesn't link in to check available funds, so if they don't have enough money they'll go overdrawn but will be able to ride the bus.<br>
  • Forgot about this. And as you said NorthNineteen, you're allowed to go over for one journey on the Oyster.  No excuse really.
  • edited January 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited January 2014
    But you had over £2 on your Oyster, you were fine - bus fare is £1.40 for a single journey anywhere. There was enough on your Oyster.
  • I went to Potters Bar recently, by train! And I thought 7.40 return is quite a bit for 10 min (1 stop). Didn't convinced me to take public transport more often.<br>Have to say, though that I was taken on the bus a few times not having any money on my Oyster, or not enough. Of course only when I had to go a few times and most possibly more because I always looked rather stressed already. <br>
  • I think Misscara is right.  Sometimes I have tried to use my oyster and it's just 10p short and the FP machines bleep.  Last week I had a £1.75 deficit and it was because I'd forgotten to use my oyster on the way out but I'm sure I had.  Didn't notice until the next morning when the machine did its mad bleeping fit.  The lovely station assistant reset my card when I told her the situation.  <div><br></div><div>But I think this system of one-journey <span style="font-size: 10pt;">deficit is not working correctly?</span></div>
  • My bike broke today on my way home and I left my wallet at home. Thank goodness for the natwest app which allowed me to take emergency cash out of the cashmachine and get home
  • I think the one journey credit is only coming in when the buses goes cashless! It's part of the mitigation measures to ensure people don't have to walk home/get themselves into dangerous situations getting lifts etc.
  • If it was really the year of the bus they would introduce a system whereby you could change buses and not pay an extra fare.<br><br>Except, I suspect that makes TFL quite a lot of money.<br><br>It's crazy that you can change tubes three times and pay one fare, but if you are forced to change bus due to the limitations of routes that you have to pay again.<br><br>An example is trying to get to Upper Street from Stroud Green. Buses don't go under the bridges so you have to change and that means paying twice. You're not even leaving the borough of Islington in some cases.<br><br><br>
  • Completely agree with you PapaL. While there would be a revenue impact from what I gather the current system just can not cope with transfer, the main sticking points are how revenue would be shared between the different operators (unlike the tube, buses are run by private firms on routes franchised from TfL), having to install oyster readers at the exit of buses to touch out (note some travel bodies are concerned this could result in TfL charging higher fares for longer journeys) and how to enable a system that takes into the account the lower frequency of buses compared to trains for the onward fare connection - they'd want to minise fare evasion where someone uses a bus to pop into a shop/post office and then jumps on another bus back home thus only paying for one journey.  As a result, this system has been filled under "too difficult at the moment".  I know TfL buses are looking at ways round these challenges so hopefully in the future!<br>
  • It is really frustrating when you get the number 19 at Angel which says finsbury park at the front. Half way down upper street the bus decides to terminate at Highbury and Islington station. So you have to get out and pay for another bus or walk.
  • You still can. Just ask driver when you get off. A transfer ticket lets you complete the journey on that route without paying again.
  • As above, the driver may roll his eyes but he is obligaged to give you a transfer ticket.<br>