State of Stroud Green road nr post office

edited February 2014 in Local discussion
That pavement has become a bad joke - encroaching on the walkway with 3 or 4 shops selling piles of similar plastic items (today rained on) . I hope they make some money (can't believe there is demand for all them religious pictures given the heathens on here ) but it is an eyesore and the council and Cllrs should really enforce some sorts of controls and standards. Since the fish cafe shut it's got worse . And the post office staff are lovely but they are trapped in a sea of buckets and lava lamps when they should be prize civic show ponies. The fine old post box looks like the druggies of N4 have slobbered over it. The lads in Christopher Charles are furious about it and in the intervals at the park theatre people have said its EVEN wORsE than Hackney. So....not wanting to damage trade in 24u or whatever it's called, what can be done. Mary Portas where are you!!!! Chang

Comments

• edited February 2014
    Worse than Hackney, that's a posh place now.  We're keeping it real here. Even your mates from Hornsey road, Salt n Pepper are in the area.  The area round the post office is a bit like Canal Street in New York City.  Lots of tat, lots of character.  <div><br></div><div>Keep it real Chang.</div>
  • There's junk then there's junk Stepping Out were keeping it real, I really miss them.
  • The sunken and uneven paving slabs on that stretch are a bigger annoyance - on a wet day you cant help coming through that stretch without wet ankles.
  • Stepping Out was great. Have they still got a shop anywhere?
  • It's worse further down SGR near Cats where one particular grocer has goods outside blocking half a very narrow pavement. Photo follows if the rain stops.
  • I really wanted to buy that Bruce Lee picture they had, but I know that the guys of Value 4 Money aren't really keen on that street shop on their door step. I, too, think it's an eyesore. <br>
  • Chang I wholeheartedly agree with you. I had imagined that the capitalism would have killed off the junk merchant in the much missed Chez Liline by now, as surely no one buys that crap.<br><br>Thomas, you are right. Islington Council are a hypocritical shambles. They claim to support the less wealthy but target all their resources at the borough's millionaire's rows.<br><br>That stretch of pavement has been like that for at least five years, including some of the paving slabs that sink and soak you.<br><br>You couldn't imagine that being left like that in Upper Street or Highbury so why do we have to put up with it? <br><br>I know some of the Islington councillors are local and lurk on here, please do something about this. It is shameful.<br>
  • edited February 2014
    @miss annie I don't know if Stepping out are still around anywhere, SG has never been the same without them keep hoping for something as good.<div><br></div><div>I often go to ReStore in Tottenham for furniture,  and the second hand store on Green Lanes is good like a smaller version of Stepping out, got quite a bit of fabrics, beads general bits and bobs from them  to put to some craftiness. <br><div><br></div><div><br></div></div>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • That sounds like the one I was talking of, get so exited when go there always forget to look at the name.<div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • Toddlesocks, do you know Aladdin's Cave at the top end of Hornsey Rd opposite the park? It's good.
  • Yes Miss annie, I was amazed first time i went in it looks tiny but goes back a long way.<div><br></div><div>The ReStore shop is really good can pick up great bits very reasonably priced, though have to keep checking a lot of dealers have got wise to it. I have collected so much from their am on the verge of needing a warehouse myself !</div>
  • edited February 2014
    Where is ReStore. I'm in the market for some second hand furniture but put off by the sky-high prices round here.<br>
  • edited February 2014
    @papa L - its at  Tottenhm Hale,  Ashley rd just down the side of the BP garage,.<div><br></div><div>This is the web site</div><div><br></div><div> http://www.restorecommunityprojects.org/</div><div><br></div><div>If going make sure you go into the main warehouse not just front showrooms , it is pretty huge.</div>
  • Bright Sparks on Seven Sisters is worth looking at too. Islington Council initiative.
  • edited February 2014
    They've got a bit wiser about pricing now. When Bright Sparks first opened they had a beautiful 60's record player in cabinet for £40 and gorgeous dressing tables. Think someone must have swooped on the whole lot, the really nice things were gone all at once and quickly! Still solid stuff in there though.
  • Oh didn't know about Bright Sparks will need to check it out, looking at their web site it seems   they sometimes have  gardening things and tools as well ? 
  • There is a British Heart Foundation foundation shop in the Mall in Walthamstow which had some lovely treasure this week. Two old upright pianos, writing desks, a dresser and more alongside all the disposable modern stuff.
  • Oh i have  thing about collecting  writing desks/ bureau's they make great craft stations.
  • Geez lol, I have noticed there i some real characters in there sometimes, seems to have its own ongoing soap opera going on with the regulars which can be quite entertaining . So far i have manged to slink in and rummage around without getting dragged into things to much.,<div><br></div><div>. If i get any furniture will be sure to pick it up myself.  .<div><br></div><div><br><div><br></div></div></div>
  • edited February 2014
    Ok, so any thoughts on how to get the SGR pavement cleared up? It's gonna be a sea of plastic jumping around in the breeze today.... And Misscara's Saturday conga needs plenty if space ... Chang
  • edited February 2014
    Oh, I'd love to have an upright piano. Well, my dream would be a grand piano, but for that, I guess, I'll need a bigger, and more permanent, space. lol And practice and learn a bit more. I really want to take up learning again. Einaudi, here I come!<br>
  • I used to live in a gigantic half derelict house near Parkland Walk. We had a baby grand and an upright in the attic, still annoyed with myself for not learning to play then.
  • I guess you need to know a person who can tune a piano and see if the keys are in good condition. Many people scrap pianos because it's difficult to get rid of them. They're heavy and in the culture of house sharing you won't find many who will take a piano. Plus the clavinovas are rather good and way lighter. Personally, I'd like to have a proper piano one day. I'm only a beginner, but learn fast. At the moment I only have a keyboard to practice, but haven't done it in ages. <br>
  • As I understand it, you can get reasonable upright pianos for very little money (under £100). The cost is in moving, tuning and maintaining it. A friend (ex of this parish) has recently bought one for his new place in (whisper it) walthamstow and said that mostly, people selling pianos want them to go to good homes.
  • Yep, that sums it up nicely. Thank you, Andy.<br>
  • My nan put hers in a skip when she moved house in the 70s. It was in perfect condition but she couldn't find even a scrap merchant who'd give it a good home in those days.