Rub Diner - New thread

edited February 2014 in Local discussion
<P>I just thought it was worth saying congratulations to the Rub diner team on their successful new restaurant. As a visitor in the early days, i was rather sceptical about its future prosperity, but they've done an excellent job of developing the menu and the site as they started to turn over more and more. The menu is completely different to day one, and it appears they've really learnt and listened to customers and adapted well to the local market. I haven't been in since my visit, and circumstances involving a new addition will put pay to another one in the near future, but credit where credits due, its been a good addition to the street. </P> <P>I'll say it again though.....they're missing a trick by not offering Poutine!</P> <P> </P>

Comments

• <P>I've been about half-a-dozen times.  I really like it.  The burgers are good, my boys love the hot dogs and my personal favourites are the brisket chili and the pulled pork.  All better with every visit.</P> <P>Even the issues with the less than salubrious facilities in the back have been sorted out.  I hope Rub sticks around for a long time.</P>
  • They've been very sweet to Baby too. Good people.
  • Great food and I'd be there a lot more often if they didn't wait until 2pm to start the lunch menu! Bit odd that.
  • Yep, ditto opening times on at the weekend. Have often fancied a bit of breakfast / brunch there...but doesn't open until 11am. Missing a trick!
  • edited February 2014
    Been a few times and always found it to fall just on the miss side of hit and miss but love my pulled pork, jerk , etc so have always willed it to succeed. In summary, the negatives have been ridiculously greasy onion rings, macaroni cheese which was merely a dense immensely unappetising looking flavourless carb heavy cube, a Rub creation called something like a 'Brumpling' from memory - cross between a dumpling and ........ I can't quite recall. One of the worst things I've eaten in a long while. The pulled Pork and Jerk Chicken were both alright but reckon you can get far better of both elsewhere. The saving grace with Rub is you can get them both under one roof. On the up side, The piggy back burger and fries are pretty damn tasty. With so many positive reviews above I think I might need to give it another spin.
  • Not been, I'm not a fan of burgers or hot dogs. Pleased that they are making it work, always good to see an indie business thriving.
  • edited February 2014
    I miss the down to earth burger and chips cafes you had here in the 80s and 90s.  Probably get a cup of tea with a burger and chips for £4 (in today's money).  Now these places charge twice that price to be robbed slowly and milked for their gullibility 
  • Get yourself a time machine mate. Try the hot tub in the Thai massage place next to nandos. I saw a film where that worked.
  • Can you not still get a cup of tea, burger and chips for about that at the caffs along the road? It would only be about that at the WLM if not.
  • I remember those places, the burgers were Bird's Eye (if you were lucky), as were the chips. Even the diced onion came from a packet. Nothing was fresh, except the bit of iceberg lettuce and half a tomato on the side. There are still loads of cheap 'everything twice with chips' cafes, locally and in town, where you can can get a meal with a cuppa for a fiver. I'm a huge fan of them but I wouldn't choose a burger there. If you are nostalgic for such places get on the Romford bound train, get off at Chadwell Heath and go to Starburger. All your dreams will come true.
  • edited February 2014
    Starburger were good.  I remember them well. WLM is good for a cheap beer and food but doesn't have the same aesthetic as the good old burger bars.<div><br></div><div>Anyway, good luck to Rub Milk Slowly or whatever it's called.  Lots of people like it. Full when I walked passed it on Sunday.</div>
  • Good knowledge Annie about Starburger in Chadwell Heath. <div>Wimpey used to be the same - I haven't seen one of them in ages. </div><div><br></div><div>I went to a place in San Francisco called in and out burgers. It was wonderful</div>
  • Ooh, In-N-Out is lovely. There's still a Wimpey in Southgate as far as I know, but it's the only one I've seen in years.
  • Hamlet Cafe on Hornsey Road is still surprisingly cheap - and good.<br>
  • edited February 2014
    <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">The Wimpy in Southgate is now closed.</font><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><br></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">http://n14.net/observations/wimpy-southgate-closes</font></div>;
  • Sad for Wimpey. Maybe the competition of burger king and McDonalds finished them off. <div><br></div><div>It seems that chicken is the new fast food with nandos and fried chicken shops everywhere you turn</div>
  • edited February 2014
    There was a Wimpy in Clapham until last summer, but it has now gone the way of all things. My mum lives in Chadwell Heath, she absolutely loves Starburger!
  • Anyone tried Megacafe on SGR? I love that place, cracking - and HUGE - omelettes. 
  • Good, but not as good as Hamlet. Below par tea when I've been. I like good strong builders tea but theirs is very weak even with the teabag left to stew.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Misscara its the first time I have heard the word "dirty" and "m&s" used in the same sentence. It made me laugh
  • The bacon sandwiches in the M&S in Green Park tube are quite nice. I'm mostly based in Piccadilly and that M&S is a good pit stop.
  • Whitechapel still had a Wimpy as of last summer, and that's only a 254 ride away. I wouldn't bother, though - either they've declined or the memory was being too kind to them.
  • edited February 2014
    I remember finding out there was a wimpy a few years ago and couldn't believe it.  I thought they'd gone off the high street years ago.  About a year later I happened to be in Southgate and made it my mission to have a wimpy.  A bit pricey and a bit of a let down. 
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • There's a Wimpy in Greenwich. I 'treated' myself to it back when I lived there. It was awful. Honestly McDonalds is better.
  • No Wimpy in Greenwich or Muswell Hill any more.
  • Ah, I did wonder if the Greenwich Wimpy had gone. No great loss. Greenwich's greatest loss was when Goddards Pie & Mash shut up shop. Turned into a Gourmet Burger Kitchen. I like GBK, but Goddards had been there since the 50s.
  • Since the re-furb and all the positive comments, I decided to give Rub another go.  Last Monday, closed.  Today at 1.30, only doing the brunch menu. Crazy. <div><br></div><div>Didn't fancy pub food so w<span style="font-size: 10pt;">ent to Bar Esteban instead in C.E.  Not cheap, but excellent. Octopus salad special was fantastic.</span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;"><br></span></div><div><br></div>