Obesity and Lorne Road (and surrounding streets )

edited March 2014 in Local discussion
Since the Sugar Lounge shut I've noticed this has become a problem what needs sorting. In summer most people drop in weight but it also gives them with big figures the chance to flaunt the flab. Specially in the likes of Lorne Road (sorry Cassie, but u ain't the only one!) Difficult know what to do. With cats and dogs it comes down to starving and usually had good results. Hard to enforce this. The 5:2 diet is recommended .hassan lost a stone in 3 weeks and now rides his bike to the prison every day - good excervisr. Chang

Comments

• You see, this post overcompensates by namechecking all the traditional "Chang" tropes, especially the 'comedy' grammar, in the hope that we'll forget the more recent, correctly spelled posts about the IRA and Tony Benn.<div><br></div>
  • Oh Chang. This made my day already. You're an absolute hoot, you know that? <br><br>Yes, I know, for I am you. <br>
  • Oh, and something else: diets ain't good. Not even the silly 5:2. Lots of people I know started, then gave up. The real issue here is eating the wrong stuff and too much of it, or eating too much in general, but never move the arse. That's what's needed. Eat healthily (cook from scratch), watch your calorie intake (roughly) and exercise. <br><br>There! I lost 15kg in a year that way. Not a massive amount, but certainly the healthy way, and I'm losing 10kg more till end of this year. And I <i>really </i>enjoy my ice cream. :-)<br>
  • I've been told by the BMI calculator that my ideal weight is around 16 stn I would look ill if I was. Plus no matter what diet I try it will not shift 5 stn. Stella is correct, eat the right food and get off your arse.
  • It is very hard to lose weight when you have a hubby that is desperately trying to gain weight and  keeps a large cake stash in doors.<div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • edited March 2014
    Willpower.<br><br>And people always make the mistake to think food is the issue. You can eat cakes and you can eat sweets, and take away, and whatever. If you do it considerably and if you MOVE your ARSE. ;-)<br>Lack of exercise is the biggest (pardon the pun) issue.<br>
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Don't mess with Cassie . Joyce and Hassan certainly dont! Chang
  • See what I mean?
  • Stella is on the money here on diets. I have lost about 10 kilos since February just by following a low carb diet and sensible drinking. No bread, spuds, pasta or rice, no cheese, not much dairy. No beer and the occasional glass of wine. It's actually very easy and there are plenty of absolutely scrummy alternatives: stir-fried veg, eggs, meat, fish, nuts, salad. I lost 5k in the first week. It just takes a bit of willpower to adapt. I followed a diet I found in the Times and was amazed that it worked. I'll certainly feel a lot leaner and fitter, more alert, sleep better and I've taken up jogging again having lost that excess weight, so it's a win-win situation.
  • @misscara. Wow your colleague had a lot of calories. We all eat way more than we need
  • While this is a great success, Krappy, you have to keep up this life style choice. If you start eating all the food you're now excluding, you'll most likely put the weight back on. Well done on taking up jogging.<br><br>I found the best results came with HIIT (high intensity interval training), where you basically give your all for 30 seconds (sprinting, skipping, cycling), then have a 'rest phase' where you do light exercises like stepping on the spot, light running, or easy cycling. Do that for five to fifteen minutes four times a week and you're burning calories. Combined with healthy eating and some weight/muscle training, you'll become fitter and leaner. And most of all: stay that way. <br><br><br>
  • edited March 2014
    Krappy if you jog down Lorne Rd you would be a good advert for slimming in this area. Do you have that diet to copy? Chang
  • This city is full of cranky joggers , who look like they could do with a sit down and slice of cake !
  • To be honest I love nothing more than going for a 3-hour ride and, in the middle of it, stop by a cafe for a latte and cake. I burn on average 1500 calories on my rides, so the cake and coffee is merely fuel. :)<br>
  • That seems to be the key, doing exercise you genuinely like an striking a happy balance.
  • Yes. I really love cycling. Haven't been for a 'proper' ride for two weeks and am feeling strangely unsettled. The 20 min from A to B don't help releasing penned-up energy. Although I went to Alley Pally last night to visit a friend and enjoyed a bit of 'speeding' on the empty roads. A bit slower on the way back at 2.30 am with a few beers in me. haha<br>