Cape Cafe on Crouch Hill is Closing

edited April 2014 in Local discussion
Uh where?, i hear you ask. Yes, this "Community Diner" is closing at the end of next week because the "not-for-profit" business/charity isn't making enough money. <div><br></div><div>This is a very nice place, next to Ashmount School (the new one), which is a popular favourite of families and parkland walkers. Have a look at the attached link and form some views...</div><div>http://www.communitydiner.co.uk/community_diner_news.htm</div><div><br></div><div>Key things for me are....</div><div>1. Like the Friday lunch club at Mind, its being closed before people get a chance to help change things. Its like "we're closing because we don't make enough cash", "but i would have paid more", "yeah, but we're closing", "ok, thats a shame".......empty space</div><div>2. If its not a charity, but also not-for-profit, you're kind of in trouble already. Put your prices up and save the cafe.</div><div>3. This is a great space. Like you're in the trees above the parkland walk, very family friendly, slightly off the beaten track. There is a real opportunity for someone to take it, do a good job, and make a small profit. I would jump at this if i had more time to think about it. </div><div><br></div><div>Too many people like the "social angle" on these places, without realising they can achieve all their objectives by having a half decent business plan.</div>

Comments

• I really like it there. Sad its closing
  • I agree, I think the spring/ summer would have been a great opportunity too.
  • edited December 2017
  • Shame it's closing.<div><br></div><div>I wonder if part of the reason is the lack of custom from people like me who found it hard to work out when it was open and turned up several times when it was closed? They never seemed to make that much of a push to become the popular local cafe for people who live nearby, in what is a fairly decent sized gap between the cafes of Stroud Green Road and of Crouch End.<br><br>(Perhaps they did and I missed it all - apologies if someone did slug their guts out on this but was aiming at people other than me.)</div>
  • If they did I didn't notice. It would have taken a weekend's work to: post on local forums, set up facebook & twitter accounts, go round local shops and librariesasking if they could put a little poster up, tell the WI, put up a sign by the entrance. All easy and cheap. I don't understand. It's like the not putting a sign up telling people what your shop is going to be.