[...]

Comments

• Went on Easter Sunday to see "Grand Budapest Hotel".  <div>Other than not being able to pay by card as the system wasn't working, a great experience!</div>
  • And, Monday to Wednesday before 5 pm, it's only £4.00 for oldies. They don't seem to be promoting this on their site, you only find out when you click to buy tickets.
  • edited April 2014
    there's a campaign going on across london.<br><br>it started with curzon cinemas (who had a shocking relationship with their workers, and are now at last beginning to negotiate with BECTU after some interventions from comic activist mark thomas). <br><br>it's now spread to picturehouses, like the brixton ritzy.<br><br>the campaign simply asks for arthouse cinemas to pay at least the london living wage to their staff, who are often on very precarious contracts or even the dreaded "zero-hour" contracts, and are often called in or relieved with very little notice.<br><br>unfortunately arthouseN8 is one of those cinemas resisting, and their staff are not yet on LLW.<br><br>i'm not suggesting a total boycott, but perhaps the occasional comment on their twitter (@arthouseN8), or other ways of commenting to the management might be something you'd think of doing if you're a frequent visitor.<br><br>it's a shame - this is a very thriving area, and also expensive to live in. a decent living wage should not be something people should be fighting for in the 21st century, especially from a business with an arty community-focussed image.<br>
  • The staff seemed really engaged when I went, as in if they'd been any more so it could easily have been a bit much - but conceivably those were managerial types rather than underpaid underlings. Still, a shame there so often has to be a worm in the apple in this way, as otherwise it's a great addition to the area.
  • I'm sorry to hear this - I went with a couple of children and thought it was a great addition to the area, and the staff were lovely ( v child-focused etc). I think often these arty ventures recruit eager young people who are keen to get a foot in the door of some kind of alternative business, and will be enthusiastic even if underpaid, at least to begin with. But it's a great pity that a new business with ethical pretensions is taking advantage of this. Twitter comments seem a good idea, at least as a start.
  • In an article in Ham and High Broadway on 11th Feb which I came across on googling Arthouse they insist that all their staff are on proper contracts (no zero hours), and paid above the minimum. Good, if true - but what do they mean by minimum?
  • Minimum wage is £6.31 for over 21s, £5.03 for under 21s. https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates The London Living Wage campaign asks employers in London to consider the additional costs of living in London, rent, transport, inflated prices in shops, and pay their staff a wage that enables them to keep their heads above water. http://www.livingwage.org.uk/what-living-wage It's a bit like the old London Weighting system which is no longer compulsory outside the civil and emergency services.
  • I still get London weighting. Its a few hundred quid a month. Its very handy
  • Its no thanks to the unions who have fought to keep it
  • So I finally went to Arthouse last night, to see the wonderful 'Boyhood'.  I thoroughly recommend both venue and film.<div><br></div><div>Friendly staff, good range of drinks, great ambience.  Ten minutes walk from my house.  Only downside (other than the braying woman sat behind me) was that the chairs weren't the comfiest - but I mention this only to complement them on their policy of providing a massive drum full of cushions!</div><div><br></div><div>If I wasn't seeing the Doctor Who premier at the TCR Odeon tomorrow I'd go again to watch their charity-showing of Dead Poets Society.</div><div><br></div><div>I'M GOING TO SEE THE DOCTOR WHO PREMIER</div>
  • <p>Anyone remember when SGR had its own Art House Cinema...The Scala (Cnr Lennox and SGR)?</p><p><br></p>
  • just to clarify, yes, this cinema has put out info claiming their staff are paid "above minimum wage", and not on zero hour contracts, however, they are paid well below the london living wage, and in such a rich area as crouch end, this is unforgiveable. <br><br>i continue to boycott what would otherwise be a great local asset.<br>
  • UPDATE:<br><br>i don't know whether i can take all the credit, but i'd certainly like to think that an aggressive social media campaign i've been waging along with a couple of friends has finally led to ArthouseN8 doing the right thing and joining the increasing number of businesses paying a London Living Wage. <br><br>they haven't been a model of honesty over the last few months, and have been busy removing conversations from facebook etc, but seems like they finally gave in, as the Living Wage Foundation have confirmed that Arthouse received accreditation earlier this month.<br><br>my boycott is over.<br><br>also, the Brixton Ritzy capitulated and started paying Living Wage, but shortly after tried to sack 20% of their staff. but after another campaign and much bad publicity they have announced they won't be sacking anyone.<br><br>worker solidarity, social media pressure, and grassroots campaigning can sometimes work.<br>
  • Thanks Rikki for the update. That fantastic work. It shows what can be achieved if people work together. 
  • Well done!  It makes for uncomfortable viewing if you're sitting in a cinema where they pay the workers a low wage.