The Great War.

edited May 2014 in Local discussion
The 100th anniversary of the start of that horror is rapidly approaching, is there anything special planned in Stroud Green on that date or on remembrance day? Also where would I need to go to for the parish records of that time. The men who gave the ultimate sacrifice should be remembered.

Comments

• edited January 2018
  • I had thought that the parish records might be at the Islington local history centre but it seems not. Instead apparently they're at the London Metropolitan Archive, which I'd not heard of but looks amazing in its own way: http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/visiting-the-city/archives-and-city-history/london-metropolitan-archives/the-collections/Pages/religion.aspx
  • I will have to have a look at that.
  • I don't know if it will be the complete list on the memorial.
  • All of the First World War & the Second World War are kept at the public records office at kew they are also available on line at various sites Ancestry dot com( a site which is owned and run by the Mormon society in Salt Lake City) is one of the most complete If you are researching a particular soldier it helps a great deal if you have a regimental number or their address The common wealth war graves site is also very helpful of love ones or other persons whom gave their lives for us.
  • edited May 2014
    We went to listen to a D-Day veteran speaking about his, and other, veterans experiences in Normandy last night. It was moving and absolutely humbling to hear the things these men experienced so that we can enjoy our freedom today. Soldiers' experiences in the First World War were even more horrific and are incomprehensible to us in our cosy, safe modern lives. We must not forget.
  • Islington Green is usually the biggest of our borough's Remembrance Day ceremonies, and is multi denominational. It's right outside the Waterstones I used to work in so had the privilege of the balcony view a couple of times. The War Memorial is being cleaned and replanted. The ceremony always attracts a huge amount of people, I imagine it will be even bigger this year.
  • Rowan Arts have put in a bid for funding for a first world war exhibition. It sort of comes out of the Hornsey Road blog so am really really hoping it comes through. 
  • I want to get the names of the Stroud Green war dead and just display them someplace in the area they deserve it.