GPs on the Islington side

My wife is in need of doctors as her family doc in Southgate is retiring.  I'm registered at Hanley Primary Care Centre which while being the worst doctors surgery I've ever used is very convenient as it's about 10m from my flat.  You either have to ring up at exactly 8am to get an appointment (and they are gone by 8.15am) or wait anything from 2-4 weeks.  This won't be suitable for my wife for various reasons - she's a teacher so has to be into work early so can't afford to wait until 8am hoping to get an appointment.<div><br></div><div>Can anyone recommend any decent doctors/surgeries around Hanley Road?</div>

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited June 2014
    On the very rare occasion that I need to see the quack I go to Dr Moneeb' s surgery at the Beaumont Practice on Hornsey Rise. Doesn't take long to walk there from Hanley Road. You have to call at 9am but can usually get an appointment within a few days. If your wife needs frequent last minute appointments A & E at the Whittington is probably the only solution.
  • We've used Andover Medical Centre since we moved in 2009, for both us and the kids.  They've been great, would happily recommend them.
  • I use Andover too. They do late Monday openings for working people. They are also happy to do repeat prescriptions by SAE. GP services can be herrendous in this country. There are some very good ones but also some terrible ones which makes me very embarrassed. I can only see this getting worse when profit starts driving healthcare
  • edited June 2014
    Every GP I've had in London over the last twenty odd years has been great. No complaints at all. Likewise hospitals, never used Haringey NHS services though.
  • It's not the last minute appointments that are the problem, it's only having the option of ringing between 8-8.20am to get a same day apointment or waiting 2-3 weeks.  So places where you can get an appointment for the next day or even a couple of days time are best.<br><br>Miss annie, you said GP have been great but do you believe this "can usually get an appointment within a few days" is a great level of service? With my GP in Dorset you could always get a next day appointment and invariably the same day.  I've been registered with at least half a dozen GPs in London and this has never been the case.<br>
  • I'm with Andover, too. When I was new to them I was rather upset as they were so different to the surgery I had in Stokey (best doctor I've had in my life!) and wanted to change, but somehow didn't go through with it. <div>Now I'm quite happy with them. I'm mostly trying to see Dr. Roy as she's quite lovely and involves you in the decision process. </div><div>Unfortunately, it's difficult to get an appointment, unless you have time to turn up in person in the mornings to see a doctor the same day. The earliest is often in two weeks.</div>
  • I wasn't very clear. You can get a same day - morning or afternoon emergency appointment if you ring between 9 - 9.30, or pitch up at the surgery. If you want a routine appointment for something non drastic you can have one within a few days. I know doctors in London are pretty overstretched, out where my sister lives it's same day. One of the drawbacks of living in a city of millions.
  • Population shouldn't be a factor a no GP should have more than a set number of patients registered. The BMA negotiated a phenomenal contract for GPs, so emergency and out of hours cover is a complete disaster at present as well as trying to get routine appointments. Then more gets dumped in under invested hospitals. But don't fear profit driven private companies will sort this out
  • What do you mean Sutent? GPs get paid more to do less?
  • Well the BMA isa Union  just like the RMT
  • Sutent. your understanding of health economics and health policy is lacking. london is more deprived so complex patient mean longer waits. supply induced demands means if gps more accessible then more people will attend. we cant afford a drop in service but also wish preventative care. privatised gp services have actually improved services.
  • @missingchickenland. So what do we suggest that we do? If people are unwell to much they can't access healthcare because they waste too many public resources. 10-15% of people with chronic disease use the majority of NHS resources. A lot of these illnesses are not self inflicted. Do we let them suffer because they are poor and not contributing to the society.<div><br></div><div>The issue is we are bad and not efficient at looking after people with chronic diseases, and due to poor access to community care lots of people end up in hospital. This is not their fault and we need to improve and invest in our services to make primary healthcare is better. There is a drive to to grind down the NHS because there is a lot of money to be made in healthcare as the majority of people do not have health insurance in the UK. </div><div><br></div><div>So you think these consortia bidding for health services is a good thing? The drive for profit will cut corners and you don't get a second chance in health care. I know the NHS is not perfect but we are very efficient compared to other countries especially the US. We are the 6th richest country in the world and we can afford to have a world class health service and show the world what can be achieved if we all look out for each other.</div>
  • My mum has just had a brilliant experience with the NHS. She went to her local GP in Essex at the beginning of May with severe hip pain. She was referred to hospital for X rays, diagnosed with severe arthritis and is having a hip replacement at Guys (her voice based on recommendations) next week. I think that is an excellent service.
  • Am glad she had a good experience. Its also unfortunate that she can't go to her local hospital to have the procedure done. But its her absolute right to choose where to go
  • My sister's pal and her mother had the same operation at Guys and highly recommended a particular consultant there. As my mum has never been I'll or in hospital apart from to have me and my sisters she was nervous so went with recommendation. Her local is Queen's in Romford, not the best reputation.
  • The only things I criticise is that you can't choose your GP. I'd happily stayed with the one in Stokey and was dead upset that I couldn't and that it takes ages to get a physio therapist, and that Chiropractic is private. Other than that I think the system's really not too bad. 
  • I'm still with the GP I registered with fifteen years ago. I've moved a few times since and am no longer in their area but they said it's fine for me to stay. I got physiotherapy at the Whittington a week after doctor referred me.
  • <P>Apparently you can compare diffrent doctors based on feedback here</P> <P> </P> <P><A href="http://www.myhealth.london.nhs.uk/lon/5c9/gp/f85680">http://www.myhealth.london.nhs.uk/lon/5c9/gp/f85680</A></P>; <P> </P>
  • You can, but it's just not really as representative. My previous GP had quite a low rating; I always felt in very good hands with them. Apart from the odd nurse/doctor who seemed to have a bad day, that is.  
  • @miss annie - smart choice. Not all hospitals are equal.
  • Privatisation is not necessarily always a bad thing. Look at the provision of glasses. You can get an appointment with Specsavers all through the week and get your glasses within 24 hours (depending on prescription). The NHS covers the cost for those who can't pay, whilst those who can do. Or you have the choice of paying a little more for something fancier. Compare that to the provision of hearing aids, which is largely under the NHS and beginning to be privatised. Try going through your GP to get a hearing aid. It will take weeks to months to get a referral to your audiology services (dependent on your area). Then your audiology service will have a wait to fit you with a hearing aid (the one I know is not a one-stop service, you have to wait weeks for a fitting appointment). Simple things can be privatised and can be run better. Why should patients have access to routine healthcare only between Monday-Friday 9-5pm?
  • Specsavers do hearing aids now too.
  • Not all under the NHS. It varies depending on your area whether you get your free hearing aids in hospital or from another provider. It's beginning to be privatised. Early days, but hope the service will be as good as the services for glasses.