Religion in Stroud Green

edited July 2014 in Local discussion
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">http://datashine.org.uk/#zoom=12&lat=51.59342&lon=-0.06357&layers=BTTT&table=QS208EW&col=QS208EW0009&ramp=RdBu</font><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Stroud green is apparently one of the least religious parts of London.</font></div>

Comments

• Surprising that there are so many churches and mosques here if we're such heathens. I favour St Joseph's (Holy Joe's) on Highgate Hill, haven't tried the local ones for my lot. Someone at St Saviours, where we have our allotment, tells me that the CofE's Alpha course is massive in Stroud Green - singles all over London use it as a potential dating thing. There are lots of rich single bankers looking for girlfriends at the Alpha Course in Holy Trinity Brompton apparently!
  • There are 3 churches on Tollington Park. The modern looking baptist church on the corner of Hornsey Road. The glorious looking Roman catholic church on corner of Fonthill Road. Its so run down I wish they would spend some money doing it up as it is such a stunning Roman building.The third one is on the corner of Birnam Road and  Moray Road. I feel sorry for the church attenders on a Sunday especially when Arsenal play at home on those days, because those who attend by car, mainly the elderly and disabled, get parking tickets. I think the council should give them some free parking time especially because they are singing and praying for forgiveness for all of us.   <br>
  • I go to Holy Trinity Brompton (HTB) and have helped host Alpha there - I would say there are lots of pretty rah girls looking for rich bankers rather than the other way round....!  The operation is huge, last September we had over 2,000 people attending Alpha.<br><br>Tollington church in it's current form was set up by the former lead vicar from HTB.<br><br>Alpha is massive across the world, 15 million people worldwide have done it and over a million in the UK.<br><br>Doesn't surprise me SG has lots of 'no religions' - you'll notice a strong correlation with other more liberal areas.  And many people put down christian as their religion just because they are christened even though they don't "practice" being christian.<br><br><br>
  • There is a ‘Stroud Green Christian Church’ on Everleigh St – I think it’s an evangelical establishment. A rather fundamentalist Christian of my acquaintance used to go there from the other side of London because of the strictness of its adhesion to the Word<br><br>I think (and here’s a challenge to the rest of you) that it might be the only establishment of any kind west of SGR with ‘Stroud Green’ in the title?<br>
  • Stroud Green Medical Clinic and lots of other places on SGR itself.... but I presume you didn't mean those.<br>
  • edited July 2014
    I'd forgotten about the medical clinic.  What other places on the SGR?  My memory is clearly terrible!
  • There is also a 24 hour church on Seven sisters Road opposite the station. They recently had a big billboard up advertising this next to the 29 bus stop towards camden. 
  • There's one called either Stroud Green supermarket or Stroud Green Convenience Store<br>
  • Just remembered one of my favourite religious buildings. Its the mosque that used to be a pub on Hornsey road near Hanley Road. It retains most of the old public house features on the outside. I have meaning to go inside for years to see if they have kept the interior the same such as the bar etc. <div><br></div><div>I used to pray lots when I was younger and I loved going to the mosque In Stoke newington. It was next to the orthodox synagogue. We used to dress in all white and the orthodox used to dress in black. There was never any trouble or issues between the 2 groups and people lived side by side without any issues. The rabi used to do some of the circumcisions for the muslim boys. It always made me think that for many years and in many countries these different religous communities have lived side by side mainly without much trouble. I always regretted never taking a photo of the 2 groups especially after Friday prayers when the street out side the mosque and synagogue used to be a sea of black and white. </div>
  • If black = orthodox what were the white? i.e. what would you label that group?<br><br>I agree, that mosque is interesting!  My favourite religious building is Brick Lane Mosque which over its 250 years has been a church, synagogue and now mosque.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brick_Lane_Mosque<br>;
  • Spiritualist church on other side to mosque on Hornsey Rd, but not really SG. They did Songs of Praise from St Marks on Moray Rd a few years ago.
  • I like the church bell on Moray road. It dongs every half hour. 
  • edited July 2014
    Of course Stroud Green has many churches as it is a mixed racial area. Religion often reflect one's culture rather than deep beliefs.  You go to Ireland and it's full of catholic churches and a few protestant ones, though mosques are becoming more familiar there.  You go to Egypt and it has mostly mosques, some coptic christian places and some synagogues.  And of course while this area has many cultures it has a lot of liberal non-believers.