Primary school/where to live as a family

Sorry if this is a recurrent thread. We're thinking of moving and buying near Fins Park. We are considering Stroud Green and the lower Harringay ladder. A good primary is a prerequisite and access to decent green *ie Fins Park.We also want to be able to get a house as we are living in a lovely flat which we are outgrowing. So any tips on good schools would be welcome. I dont mind if they arent ofsted outstanding but i want a school that is creative, inspiring and a place to learn. And somewhere with a warm vibe.<br>

Comments

• Ashmount, Crouch Hill fits the bill.
  • Our son is at Stroud Green primary school.  He loves it.  We love it.  Happy to give more details if you have specific questions.<br>
  • When we bought our house the estate agent said it was in the catchment for St Aidens which was the best school in the area as it has had the same head for years, has been rated Outstanding and has single form entry. I don't know if that is correct though as we don't have children. A Guardian article from 2004 would suggest so: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2004/oct/17/publicservices.schools
  • I'd consider secondary schools over primary if you are considering staying in London for a while. 
  • @n19. Where have you been? You been quiet
  • Hawsted  I agree with NorthNieteen.<br><br>SGC has got a lot better and has good set of governers a decent  ofsted.<br><br>Skinners seems to be an okay secondary school although it has not be around long enough to have record eyt but seesm to do the right things.<br><br>Where your thinking of living is probaly  okay for catchmnet areas<br><br>
  • Thanks for this. Well house prices near Fins Park turn out to be more than we thought so Im not even sure its in our budget as an area.<br>The 6 bed house for 900k is turned out needed a lot of work and was "cheaper" than normal (Id thought if 6 bed=900k 3/4 bed would be nearer 800 max but i was wrong!!).<br><br>SGSchool or St Aidan would be near where we would like to be but im having to rethink. A friend recommended Coleridge but its further away and the houses are astronomical<br><br><br>
  • Oh,,,,and what of secondaries (out of curiosity)??<br>
  • @Stutent Been pretty busy with life! And the new messageboard format looks a lot less work like so cutting down use while I'm in the office.<br><br>In terms of secondary schools, at a very high level Haringey secondary schools are better than Islington so you'd be better of living that side of SGR if you can.  For that budget I'd consider up towards Alexandra Palace station - good schools there with a choice of Fortismere and Alexandra Park School (both excellent) and the area will benefit from the (substantially) improved rail service in a few years time - rail service is already good.<br>
  • Agree with NorthNineteen. For around 8/900 you <span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-style: italic;">should </span> be able to find a 4 (5?) bed in the Rhodes Avenue Primary catchment<div>(rated outstanding) then, for secondary school, you are also going to be in the Alexandra Park School catchment (also rated outstanding).</div><div><br></div><div>The area is a tad soulless in my view, and marks the beginning proper of that ugly 1930's suburban sprawl, but if highly valued and sought after schools are your priority you can't go wrong, but Stroud Green it is not. </div><div>Best to go and see for yourself. Good Luck. </div><div><div><div><br></div></div></div>
  • Islington schools have been improving a lot in the last few years - I wouldn't write them off. <br>
  • I must say I always find this shopping around for schools distasteful. They are not commodities, for Christ's sake. Just go to your local one, and get stuck in. Islington schools, primary and secondary, have always done a better job than they are given credit for. Middle class families are like a flock of crows: one spots something desirable, all swoop down, tasty object is torn to shreds. Reminder to self: must read Melissa Benn's book on the 50 years of the poor old comp. It'll be nice to read something positive on the subject,  for a change.
  • I don;t think it matters which borough you live in.  It's distance as the crow flies from the school (can be cross-borough, not a problem).  For Secondary Schools, IAMS is starting to turn its reputation around with a new head who arrived a couple of years ago, I believe. It's consistently performing better than it had before, which is great to see.<br>
  • <p>Hello! Can I piggyback on to this discussion to ask a question about schools?  We'll need to apply in January so I am jumping the gun a bit but I looked round some of the local schools when we applied for nursery and I'm not sure if I'll get a chance to go again and am a bit confused as everyone told me it would be obvious which schools I liked once I'd looked round and actually I thought they all looked pretty good.  Am hoping that's the case and I am not just a terrible judge but I am not really sure what to look for in the ten minutes you get to observe.  </p><p>What I really want to know is why Stroud Green School is so much less over-subscribed than St Aidans and Ashmount?  Can anyone give any honest feedback?   I loved Ashmount's building and setting but we are outside the catchment anyway (might put it down on the offchance we're lucky with the waiting list).  We are very likely to get a place at SG but might be within catchment for St Aidans too depending on how it goes this year.  The thing is we're not religious and the fact that St Aidans is CofE is putting me off a bit, though I know they don't apply the religious schools criteria and I do know and like Father Patrick from Holy Trinity church - I don't think he'd try and brainwash my daughter!  Would it be mad to turn my back on St Aidans and put SG as top choice solely on the basis of the religious connections at St Aidans?  St Aidans obviously has the outstanding ofsted report but that is ancient now.  Does anyone know whether the reputation is still justified and whether it is due an update any time soon?  The results at both schools look pretty similar, though St Aidans had a bit of a blip in maths a few years ago that looks to be corrected now.  I am not overly fussed by SATS results but a much lower score in maths in a middle-class school does look a little bit like something went awry with the teaching that year but as I say it was a few years ago now.</p><p>Finally, has anyone used the after-school club connected to St Aidans?  The SGS after-school provision seems pretty good and I will get the chance to check it out this year as my daughter will be attending SG nursery (I didn't apply to St Aidans as the hours were pretty hopeless for working parents). </p><p>Thanks for any info anyone is able to give and good luck with the house hunting 56!  Most of the schools around seem to be pretty decent but you have to be within a very short distance of most of them to get a space - it's rare to have a choice.</p>
  • My son went to St Aidan's and was very happy there - and we were happy with the school. I know some people who were less happy with the school. It's not just the school that makes the experience of course - it's the child, the parents and the endless list of things that happen along the way that we can't control….<div>My son has just finished Year 7 at Greig City Academy on Hornsey High Street. And we have been very happy with  this school also. Like we did at St Aidan's we ignore the religious aspect of the school - we choose it because of the calibre of the teaching staff, the good vibe, the well-behaved kids and its high level of resource / opportunities for the children.</div>
  • <p>Thanks HelenM.  Can you tell me a bit more about the things you liked about St Aidan's and the things you think others may not have liked so much  Glad your son was happy there and is happy at his new school too.</p><p> </p>
  • It has a fairly settled staff - some changes each year but others staying and giving a good mix. My son always seemed to have the perfect teacher for the year he was in and they give a lot of thought to preparing children for Year 7. The school has a new head now so I don't know if this will change but I felt the previous head was excellent at bringing resources and creative talent into the school for one-off or longer projects. There's a good level of parental involvement - again equalling extra resources. The fact it's a one-form entry is excellent at Reception level - it seems less good in Year 6 when the children have to make a bid leap into secondary school, but there are pros and cons to all the situations like that. <div>Some people had one-off problems with the school or were less happy than we were generally - but they would all have their own reasons for that - and it would be for them to say.</div><div>The transition to year 7 is very important. Again we have found this was handled extremely well at Greig City. We have lots of contact with the staff and class sizes at this school are kept smaller than average at 25 pupils. I only have direct experience at these two schools but of course I have heard many good things about other local schools.</div>
  • Train spotter having you kid at SGS Nursery makes it very easy on promotion to the "big" school.<br><br>Your questions are very similar to thsoe asked on Mumsnet so you might be interested <br><br>http://local.mumsnet.com/Talk/local_haringey/a2093340-Stroud-Green-or-St-Aidans-school<br><br>Funny to think that St Adiand was once a sink school but the middle class moving in changed  it <br>