TESCO SGR layout

I know this happened ages ago but what does everyone think of the new layout of Tesco on SGR. Does every one like the self service checkouts?<div><br></div>

Comments

• I like the fact that only the ones on the right hand side as you look at them actually have space to put down your basket - while the ones on the left seem to have ditched this.<div><br></div><div>Adds an extra level to the game that is successfully navigating Stroud Green Tesco and coming out with what you wanted.</div>
  • Each self service checkout takes out at least a job, use the manned chckouts instead <br>
  • Phil Clark  Tescos boss got removed I think we all know why <br>
  • Ali, I heartily agree, but they'd need to actually be open to use them.<div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • There is a long tradition of resisting changes to the employment market caused by new technologies. If that resistance had been successful we’d still be hunter-gatherers.
  • but Tescos need to be less arrogant and listen to their  customers a bit more, some will like the self checkouts but quite a few will not and I guess myself and Papa are a couple of them.  no staff no choice <br><br>As you can't pay a machine  but you can pay a checkout person (even thought it is not much) who probably is local so will spend local, that is better for the local economy.<br><br>I suspect one of Tescos problems  is that most of the head office have probably worked through  its growth  and sucess period built have no  idea what to do when it doesn't go so well.<br><br>Watch the heads roll in management  at Tesco HQ<br>
  • If we hadn't invented tractors or factories more people would be employed locally in farming.
  • Rule number one in business. Don't piss off your customers.<div><br></div><div>Most customers hate those machines. </div><div><br></div><div>If the machines were good, it might be a different matter. <span style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 1.7em;">Or they employed enough people to staff them.</span></div><div><br></div><div><span style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; line-height: 1.7em;">As it is Stroud Green Tesco (and many other supermarkets) have concocted a recipe for breaking the rule above.</span><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • I agree with Papa and Ali on this. Some jobs do need a human interface. I feel much more comfortable in a robot driven train if there is a human in there in case there was a fire etc. computers can also fly planes but would much prefer a human there. Some of these high skilled jobs will also resist new technologies because of the type of people they employ. Its easier to replace low skilled workers with technology as there is less resistance unless they are unionised like london underground. Tescos are terrible compared to sainsbury etc as they have forgtoted their customers in their huge growth
  • I like them. The new self-service machines have helped speed up checkout and I've started to go back more often. The SGR Tesco has much improved since I moved to the area, though they still me me crazy by moving sections/items around the store. I never know if they are out of stock or have just moved something to a new location. <div><br></div><div>At least the lake has dried up. <div><br></div></div>
  • I like the self service checkouts and think they have the right balance with self service and manned checkouts now. Ali tell me more about Phil Clark. Was that the young manager that used to work there?
  • The new self service are very good, much faster. I actually prefer them to the tills as I find it a pain to make sure I get my green points etc. the amount of conversations I have where you hand over your club card and they say 'but you only get a point if you spend a pound' yes but I'd still like my green point!
  • @peter. I know what you mean about green points. I had to write to sainsbury head office to make sure my big ruck sack got enough green points.
  • There are probably about 30 products I regularly buy in that Tesco, and this year they've already stopped stocking two of them. This makes me unhappy.<div><br></div><div>Basically agreed with Arkady re: tech and jobs, but, you do then need a much better safety net - a less Draconian dole, or ideally a citizen income - than we've had this last couple of governments.</div><div><br></div><div>Green points: the worst I've seen for this was in another Metro, near Fenchurch Street, where the man on the counter was entirely unfamiliar with the whole concept. Surely this should be in basic training?</div>
  • I'm increasingly taken with the concept of citizen incomes.
  • Exactly. It's annoying when you ask for it and they still don't give you it a hassle avoided at self service.
  • You should complain Peter. Sainsbury have been very good and changed local practice. I also met the manager of Haringey sainsbury about this.
  • MHP <br><br>This is Philip Clark. I guess he was young once <br><br>http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/tesco-chief-philip-clarke-out-with-up-to-10m-and-another-dire-profit-warning-9620034.html<br><br>I wonder how long it would take for the staff cost savings coming from the self checkouts to pay for  his payoff .<br><br>Paid for failure <br>
  • Like Sharon Shoesmith. Did you see the thread below @Ali?
  • They are a bit different  Clark has been bought out of his Contract, Shoesmith was illegally sacked by Ed Ballsup.<br><br>I would say that Clark has done massivily better<br>
  • Tesco SGR has definitely improved a lot over the 6 years I've lived here.  The new set-up seems to be working well and queues seem less (but not sure if that's because there are less people shopping there).  trying to get a full basket through the self-service tills is a bit of a nightmare so I just wait for the larger ones - still quicker than using a person.  But i think the balance is right between self-service and manned.<br><br>Question: If you use a bag for life that takes the equivalent of 2 (or even 3) of the wafter thin and fragile plastic bags is it ok to say you used 2/3 of your own bags? I had a bit of an argument with one of the assitants over this.<br>
  • Yeah I've been annoyed at this. I always want to know how much weight or cost you can put per green point on the self service when using a big bag like a rucksack.
  • I use a big ruck sack which is equivalent to at least 4-6 orange bags. Finally they gave me the appropriate points
  • Thanks Ali. Obviously not who I had in mind!!
  • edited August 2014
    I like the self service. Much quicker and almost never have to wait when I go. They avoid the four major perils of the supermarket queue: 1 - the incredibly annoying person in front who doesn't seem to realise they will be required to pay until all their shopping has gone through, then spends ten minutes looking for their purse; 2 - the obsessive-compulsive p.i.f who will only pay in cash and has to do it entirely in 1p coins; 3 - the careless p.i.f. who has picked up the wrong size bag of sugar and has to go back and change it and 4 - the thrifty p.i.f. who picks an argument over the 5p-off Daily Express voucher for a tin of beans which expired on Tuesday, insists on calling the manager and engages in a spirited 20 minute debate. Machines are so much simpler.
  • edited August 2014
    I agree with KRS that the new self-service area is a good addition to the store.  A lot less hassle than the last one for the reasons stated, apart from when you decide to use one of those bag-for-life or your own bag and the till goes bezerk.  I find most of the staff to be lovely there, especially the ones in charge of the self-service but there's still one or two fairly nasty ones that I avoid at both style of tills.