Next book club 4th Sept @ THE OLD DAIRY 8pm

edited September 2014 in StroudGreen Book Club
The next Stroud Green book club meeting will take place at 8pm Thurs 4th Sept at The Noble. The Marrying of Chani Kaufman By Eve Harris Longlisted for the Man Booker Prize 2013 £8.99 Nineteen-year-old Chani lives in the ultra-orthodox Jewish community of North West London. She has never had physical contact with a man, but is bound to marry a stranger. The rabbi's wife teaches her what it means to be a Jewish wife, but Rivka has her own questions to answer. Soon buried secrets, fear, and sexual desire bubble to the surface; not to mention what happens on the wedding night.... 350 pages Harris evokes the community s insular nature, she also suggests the sense of comfort and belonging that it confers, offering a sympathetic window on a way of life little glimpsed in contemporary fiction. --David Evans, Financial Times In a narrative that weaves the viewpoints of the bride and groom, it is the third story which provides the emotional and thematic complexity needed to raise the story to a Booker contender. It is the story of Rivka, a rebbetzin, whose ambitious husband, Chaim, marries the couple. --Danuta Kean, The Independent Humour abounds, but so do pathos and anger. Harris s eye for suburban social mores is wickedly acute, as is her evident relish in describing both the sensual life and its absence.' --Catherine Taylor, The Guardian

Comments

• Hi hoping to make it to my 2nd consecutive book club having returned from holiday having finished our book and a few more.<div><br></div><div>Noticed the Noble is positively closed for refurb - where are we meeting?</div><div><br></div><div>Looking forward to it.</div>
  • looking forward to this one! last meeting was super fun - THREE NEW PEOPLE and a really good book. i was a bit sweaty and flustered and got distracted talking about bikes..<br>please everyone always feel welcome to come along whether you are lurkers or not. it's great to hear new peoples' opinions on stuff.<br><br>anyway, this thursday, @Patso you are right about the Noble, and it looks like the Stapleton has its usual Thursday quiz on, so shall we say <font size="4"><span style="font-weight: bold;">THE OLD DAIRY</span></font>? (there are no premier league matches on thurs as far as i can tell)<br><br>hope everyone sees this!<br>
  • I'm not able to make this month's meeting unfortunately. Hope to see you next month!
  • I am hoping to come as nearly read the book all depends on my baby and if he is ok staying with his daddy for abit! Missed not coming for so long so fingers crossed I will be there!
  • Just came on the site after noticing that the noble was closed today and see that you are ready on top of it. The Old Dairy it is! See you all later.
  • I'll be late but there.