SGR Butchers Immigration Raid

<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><span style="line-height: normal;">

Comments

• What is the point of posting this picture? You have no idea or evidence what the immigration officers were doing in the shop. It just fuels prejudice against a minority group that is under the spotlight at the moment. 
  • edited October 2014
    <div><font size="2"><span style="line-height: 1.7em;">Is informing people of something inherently showing prejudice?  If I'd told you in person that I saw the immigration van outside a premises would you have thought that I was being prejudiced?  Are you really suggesting that information should be </span><span style="line-height: 22.1000003814697px;">suppressed</span><span style="line-height: 1.7em;"> in case a bigot gets the wrong idea?  Isn't that what happened in </span><span style="line-height: 22.6666660308838px;">Rotherham</span><span style="line-height: 1.7em;">?</span></font><br></div><div><font size="2"><span style="line-height: 1.7em;">If you think that I am in any way anti-immigrant then you don't know or understand the first thing about me.</span></font></div>
  • If you can factually confirm what the purpose of the immigration van and officers were doing then that is useful information to share, Otherwise it is ponitless speculation. After the 7/7 bombings I got stopped regularly by the police sometimes it was very undignified. What if someone posted a picture of me being searched?
  • Legal questions aside, it would partly depend on the intent.<div><br></div><div>My fundamental point is that you are saying that information  should be suppressed in case some people misuse that information.  I think that's authoritarian and illiberal.</div><div><br></div><div>My reaction to those pictures was something akin to 'poor bastards'.  Perhaps you aren't giving people enough credit.</div>
  • I think you are being a touch disingenuous, Arkady. I don't doubt your sympathetic reaction for a moment, but I am less sure of L.Gunning's reason for posting. The accompanying text strikes me as facetious, thus - Sutent is right - inviting a negative response. Pictures are not neutral. Have you ever seen the revolting Nazi film, Der Ewige Jude (The Eternal Jew)? Antisemitism must have increased tenfold, thereafter. The pictures were of real Jews, but presented in such a way as to underline all the usual negative clichés. 
  • Stroud Green has its own toad? I had no idea.
  • edited October 2014
    I think the way that people interpret information varies widely according to their political leanings, fear of offending others, all sorts of things. The overuse of exclamation marks never helps. As @Arkady posted this I find it very hard to believe it was put on this forum for any reason other than sharing information. Yes, toad. Exciting stuff! (justified exclamation mark).
  • Serious business etc.