Max's - Sandwich Shop - Crouch Hill

Comments

• You have hit the nail on the head TP. Stroud Green is sleepwalking into hipsterdom.
  • edited April 2015
    You normally expect to pay more for a beer in a restaurant compared to a bar, let alone a shop.<br><br>You don't always (or even often) expect to get draft beers in restaurants (though you do at Max's).<br><br>Given the size of the content, the sandwiches at Max's are more similar to a burger (hard to get for less than a tenner these days) than to a run-of-the-mill sandwich, and the price is somewhere between the two.<br><br>But yes, one expects to pay for the ambience in a restaurant and that might very well be true of Max's where it's excellent and the host charming.<br><br>The boorish, lazy, fogiesh stereotyping and sneering at ill-defined 'hipsters' (by which people seem to mean 'young people' or 'people who don't like what I like' or 'people who don't dress like me') continues I see. Disappointing. You've all turned into your parents.
  • I read (in ES magazine I think) how hipster has become a label for young people like chav is a label for poor people.<br>
  • I read in the same mag that the hipster is dead....<br>*holds hat against heart*<br>*gets on with life*<br>
  • edited April 2015
    @PeterCrumb have they considerable improved the breakfasts at Front Room? Last time i was there is was a cold beans and soggy toast affair after a 45 minute wait. i'll stick to my hipster sandwich fanks. 
  • IMHO The breakfast in Front Room is best in the area since Rainbow Cafe changed hands, but would be interested to hear of other nominations.
  • Hipster doesn't really mean anything. Lots of hipster characteristics like riding a bike, shopping local or drinking craft beer apply to me but I don't think anyone has ever called me a hipster.
  • Do you have a beard though?<br>
  • No beard but sometimes I go a week without shaving. Are we saying the beard is the defining thing?
  • Moka or Haberdashery for breakfast.
  • I've been to Front Room twice, both times food undercooked and terrible service. I struggle to find a decent breakfast in SG, Dukes in Hackney is worth the journey, their brunch menu is out of this world.
  • SG is sorely lacking in the breakfast department. Hamlet over on Hornsey Rd is my nearest local favourite.
  • Where are Moka and Haberdashery?  Do I need to get out more?
  • Moka is on Wightman Road by Harringay station.  Haberdashery is Middle Lane in Crouch End so neither is Stroud Green proper though worth a visit.   I have only had one Front Room breakfast but it was nice and I can't fault the service.  Vagabonds does the best coffee and can rustle up eggs on toast.  Bon Matin does a decent almond croissant.  
  • I don't mind Blighty's 
  • I do. I looked in on Sunday afternoon. Atrociously expensive cappuccino - £2.50, I think it was, and of mediocre quality. Upstairs was dark, with a cloth over the window, for some reason. Loud, repetitive music of the most debased kind. I shan't go again.
  • I have to say since I've become an alcohol free zone I've gone back to enjoying the odd coffee in a cafe.  I do like Vagabond.  .  The music is usually good.  They were playing some grunge the other day.  
  • Of course I know Moka, I just didn't know its name. It's a bit out of the way for me for a quick Saturday morning fuel - up. Where is Blighty? I *really* do need to start paying attention. £2.50 for a cappuccino is about standard isn't it? Don't take any notice of @checkski';s musical taste, anything sort of a string quartet is debased (*winks*).
  • Starbucks do a good breakfast
  • Ethically minded friends won't go near Starbucks, whereas (luckily for me)they will tolerate Costa . I couldn't tell you about the breakfasts . We retired folk take our muesli, fruit juice and coffee at home. <div><br></div><div>As for Blighty, dear Krappy, I hardly like to tell you where it is, except perhaps to avoid tripping over it. It's up Blackstock Rd on the left, past Sainsbury s.Less old types like you may not remember the dear old 50s, when all you would hear in the local cafe would be the cheerful clatter of conversation. Anyone remember conversation? Best music of all. Beats grunge and chamber music into a cocktail stick (well, that's what my predictive came up with).</div><div><br></div><div>Actually, I might be willing to try a coffee shop with chamber music, if anyone would care to recommend one. I'll have a flat white (my new tipple) + a portion of Archduke.</div><div><br></div><div>Thank you.</div>
  • Look at the time of my last post. Poor Checkski is suffering from a rare dose of insomnia, and he has to go to Tunbridge Wells tomorrow, poor sod.<div><br></div><div>Which is why he is going on and on and on. Well, it beats counting sheep</div>
  • Checkski, camomile tea is my latest evening tipple and it has me in the land of nod by ten and up with the dawn at 6.  Hopefully due to your lack of sleep you won't be 'disgusted of Tunbridge Wells' today.  <div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • Good for you,  Kreuzkav. I got 6 hours in the end, so not feeling too disgusted so far. <div><br></div><div>And good for you, re being on the wagon. I think we noticed - your posts are generally calmer. I speak as an ex piss artist. God, the scrapes I got into..</div><div><br></div><div>Not any more. </div><div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • Can we swap insomnia stories? I've been up since 3. Twitter is a boon
  • Costa do zero hours contracts. so they're out. 
  • Spoons is a fine employer, and does breakfasts fit for champions.
  • You mean W******spoons?
  • Tried Front Room a couple of weeks ago, not at all impressed. Mustard in a croque madame?
  • It's all a load of baloney.  The best new entrants are Vagabond (good coffee, not so pricey, good atmosphere).  Can't think of anywhere else.  It's all a copy of a copy elsewhere.