Mrs Williams Returns - Scam artist asking to borrow money for a cab claiming to be your neighbor

<p style="margin: 5px 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small;">The other night at about six pm a woman knocked on my door in a very distressed state saying that she was my neighbour. She said that she was trying to get to work and had a cab waiting but had just realised she left her keys in her flat and had no money on her. Could she borrow some money for the cab and post it back a day later.</p><p style="margin: 5px 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small;">As I write it now it sounds so obvious but she was very convincing, apologetic and friendly. It's Christmas and I was feeling neighbourly so gave her ten pounds, which is all we had at the time in cash on us.</p><p style="margin: 5px 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small;">Like most of us, I don't really know my neighbours very well, so this scam is very successful I'm sure.</p><p style="margin: 5px 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small;">The woman was fairly well dressed, about 40 years old, black with a wooley hat on and she was well spoken. She was carrying a Perfume Shop bag which looked brand new (sounds like an odd detail but that kinda sold it that she wasn't just a scum-bag and had been Christmas shopping or something).</p><p style="margin: 5px 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small;">Anyway, hope no one else gets taken in by this.</p><p style="margin: 5px 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small;"><br></p><p style="margin: 5px 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small;">Looks like she's been at this for years. Here' s a post on this very website from 2008: <a href="http://stroudgreen.org/discussion/801/mrs-williams-stroud-green-confidence-trickster" style="text-decoration: none; color: rgb(51, 102, 153); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">http://stroudgreen.org/discussion/801/mrs-williams-stroud-green-confidence-trickster</a></p><p style="margin: 5px 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small;"><br></p><p style="margin: 5px 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small;">I reported it to the police. Let's see if anything comes of it.</p>

Comments

• Fortunately we know all of our neighbours up to several doors along and opposite. If in doubt I'd possibly go out and pay a cab driver (if it is proven to be a cab), for someone but wouldn't hand over a load of cash to a stranger.
  • How horrible!  Hope she gets he comeuppance.<div><br></div><div>@annie - that's very impressive. Did you go to an especial effort to get to know your neighbours?</div>
  • Incidentally, everyone should read that thread as a reminder of how funny SG.org used to be. Bring the humour in 2015, people!
  • Yes I remember her! About two years ago the same lady knocked on my door on Fonthill Road with exactly the same spiel. 
  • <SPAN lang=EN-GB>She knocked on our door also just before Christmas. Her story was very similar about needing the money for a cab to get to work and she was locked out of the house. She said her husband would be home soon and she would get some money from him that evening and return it to us. We did not give her any money. As a rule of thumb we don't give money to anyone who cold calls. Did not realise she was a scammer...she seemed very genuine.</SPAN>
  • I refrained from commenting first time round as it was Christmas.  But why would you give someone money for a cab to get to work?  I cycle or tube it.  Don't give in to these pleas.  There's welfare, hostels and enough professional support out there.
  • Was the husband still called Steve?
  • I think this is the person who has twice stopped me in the street. First time I thought it was probably a con but felt really bad afterwards doubting it and worried I'd not helped someone in genuine need. Hence second time I was rather pleased as it confirmed it was a scam. I doubt she's had anyone react with pleasure to an attempted scam before...!