The Bedford Tavern

edited January 2015 in Local discussion
<div>The decrepit, terrifying, and long-closed Bedford Tavern has reopened as a craft beer joint. Anyone been yet?<br><br>http://thebedfordtavern.com/<br></div><div><br></div><div>If that part of town is gentrifying then... well, wow.</div>

Comments

• @Arkady. Thanks for this. I will have to pop down. There is a new Costa coffee there too.
  • On that stretch of Seven Sisters?
  • Yes. I was supposed to see it...
  • As I said a few years ago, that area stretching up to Hornsey Rise will be next 'cool' place.  Stroud Green is so 2000s.  Still like living here though.
  • Blimey that's a turn up for the books. <div><br></div><div>Going back quite a few years, a mate of mine had a place near there for a while he used as a music studio that we used to hang out at. </div><div><br></div><div>We had a pint in the Bedford once. It was one of the few pubs I have never wanted to frequent ever again - and I quite like a decent drinkers pub. There was a terrifyingly large dog in there and about three punters who looked like they might just be having a quick pint before being locked back up again!</div><div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • edited January 2015
    for some reason I'm reminded of @Poxy';s hilarious derailment of <a href="http://www.stroudgreen.org/discussion/898/chinese-supermarket">this thread</a>
  • We need more derailing. In fact it should be compulsory.
  • We've always called it The Eagle T
  • <P>Because of the faulty spacing/dubious lettering, I've always known it as the Baglet</P>
  • Back on topic: the Italian cafe' called 'Girasole' a couple of doors down looks new & upmarket too.
  • After the WB Yeats, this is our nearest pub. Going to give a whirl.
  • @ Mirandola<div><br></div><div>I noticed a cafe' a few months ago next to the pub with a sign and some rude/cheeky stuff written in Italian in the window...</div><div>As a native speaker, I chose not to be a customer!</div><div>Maybe it's the same place and they have gone polite/upmarket.</div>
  • The post office on Holloway Rd is closed down and a new one opened next to Bedford Tavern. The post office has a cafe and panni place built in very strange. This means I am probably eqi distant from SGR post office and Seven sisters rd. Seven sisters rd is changing rapidly!
  • The cafe in the P.O. is called 'Posta' Coffee.
  • @TheMimsy - it looks quite nice. I'm still amazes that the place in Canary Wharf called 'La Figa' gets custom.
  • @ Sutent<div><br></div><div>The pub next to the Post Office on Seven Sisters Road is called The Eaglet - the Bedford Tavern is further down towards Finsbury Park. </div><div><br></div><div>@ Mirandola </div><div><br></div><div>There is no limit to bad taste, I am afraid...</div>
  • <div>Popped in for a pint earlier this evening.  Well worth the trip - impressive beer list, mostly bottled but decent selection on draft.  Only one handpump though, which was disappointing.  Food looked good.  Lovely big windows and hardly any noise from the road.  Will return.</div><div><br></div>No one else been in yet?<div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • I went last week during the pub quiz and agree with you that it is a good place. They had N7 beer on draught, which I bought because I'm a sucker for a hyperlocal product, and liked.
  • How is it for cider? A Southampton Arms situation, or like Craft Beer Co where they only have one (and a perry, which DOES NOT COUNT)? 
  • I do like a glass of cider.    Jack's has some excellent varieties.  Have you been to The Harp just off Trafalgar Square?   Enough different apple squeezes to keep you drunk for a fortnight.
  • Not in a very long time - maybe I should pay it another visit. And yes, I do like the choice in Jack's.
  • One cider on tap, I think.  Not sure about the bottle situation but seem to recall it was mostly beer.  Gather Bottle Apostle (Crouch End) are going to be selling the excellent Gwatkin Herefordshire cider in the near future though.