Woman with child asking for door-to-door NSPCC sponsership

My husband just told me how he opened the door this afternoon to a woman with a strong accent and a child, asking for money to sponsor for his hockey event, to be donated to NSPCC. Strangely, the request came from the woman, while the child stayed quiet. It seemed to be a cumulative sponsorship (for example, so much for every km walked), but it was again unclear what was to be done. My husband donated £10 rather than sign up for the cumulative. However the woman asked for the cash upfront. Not having that cash in the house. My husband then said he would give it to her tomorrow. Now I'm not as gullible. Fair enough, it may well be genuine and the child was just shy. However I would never give money on the doorstep. So we are going to get our computer out and donate to the NSPCC website in front of them and give the child the printout to take back to class. Has anyone else been asked and what would/did you do?

Comments

• edited January 2015
    Sounds extremely dodgy...<div><br><div>The fact that she asked for cash upfront is very suspicious as well as the "Silent child".</div><div><br></div><div>I would not give any money and would report the matter to the NSPCC and the  Safer Neighbourhood Team.</div><div><br></div><div>The NSPCC should advise if it's genuine, if it's not they would be well annoyed, maybe they would put an alert on their website asking to donate via the website or via an authorised way and deter potential scammers...</div></div>
  • edited December 2017
  • Definitely a scam. I got done the same way in a beer garden in Angel. A member of staff came over and told me they try it every week (after I'd given the lad two quid unfortunately!). These people are the descendants of Fagin and the Artful Dodger...
  • Only more deceitful...
  • NSPCC would never drag a child about, and never go door to door. Hope no one gave her money. She pressed the buzzer here too, wish I'd opened the door now. I could have shared some of my strongly held views with her.
  • edited January 2015
    Thanks for the replies. I told my husband I was right! They haven't knocked today. Anyhow, I've strongly told him to donate directly online if he feels the need to respond to door-to-door requests.
  • Have come to this late as just joined. In the last few months there have been lots of people randomly knocking on our door, this week it was Greenpeace. I don't know if it is a new form of chugging or fake but no way will I give money on the doorstep. One of my reasons is actually if there are older people living alone it can be very intimidating for them so if people don't respond hopefully this will die down. Ask them to leave a leaflet and you will sign up nationally. 
  • I was approached on Hornsey Road, near the 91 bus stop by a woman and a child asking to be sponsored for school. The piece of paper was very tatty and I do not believe it was genuine at all.  I refused to give any money, more so as I did not recognise the name of the school as a local one when I asked about it.  Shameful that children are dragged about in such a manner and tempted to report to Safer Neighborhoods...
  • Always remember when sitting in O'Neills in Kings Cross some lad coming up saying he was raising money 'for the kids and that'. Surprisingly enough I said no thankyou.
  • I spoke to Safer Neighbourhoods after they tried the same with us. Their direction was that we call 999 if we see them again. I was quite surprised by that!
  • They probably told you to call 999 as she is technically using the child to beg so would be a child protection issue.
  • Sounds like the same lady that came into the Noble last night at 10pm.<div><br></div>