New arrivals v Mr Pak

Walking up SGR past one of Mr Pak's emporiums today, I overheard the two bearded, plaid clad young men walking in front of me moaning about them. Apparently Mr Pak and his wares 'do not belong round here', and some other borderline racist stuff about where they should be. They clearly have absolutely no clue how popular Pak's is and how it's part of a booming trade along with the dress and shoe shops of Fonthill Rd. People come from miles away to visit. Also seemingly no clue that this area is a mixed and diverse community. Made me quite angry.

Comments

• edited January 2015
    <div>SGR and the streets are already getting full of hipster joints.  They won't be happy until there are cereal cafes, retro 70s chocolate bars...Brick Lane, North.</div><div><br></div>The next time Pete Burns is around to get his wigs we have to get him to sort them out.  
  • I would have been quite happy to challenge the 2 bearded chaps, especially if they were being racist.<div>Clearly no respect and no clue about how precious these type of businesses are to the local area!<br><div><br></div><div><br></div></div>
  • <p>Yes, I wish I had done. </p>
  • That's dispiriting. Oh well, hopefully they'll fuck off somewhere else and leave Pak's to get on with selling wigs.
  • I do wonder, though, how long the Pak's places will stay there. They're based in Dalston and Finsbury Park (I think) so traditionally cheap areas. As their customer base will travel I wouldn't be surprised if they left both places. Hope not. 
  • @ Mirandola<div><br></div><div>They  have a shop in Wood Green, too.  I hope they do not leave Finsbury Park: they are such an institution.</div><div><br></div><div>I went to the Stroud Green one a couple of weeks ago and found exactly what I wanted at a fair price.</div>
  • edited January 2015
    <p>There are three in SG and one in Dalston, Hackney and Walthamstow as well as Wood Green. They have about ten as well as a website that seems to ship everywhere. Don't imagine they'll leave anytime soon, they seem like a very well run and profitable business. </p><p><a href="http://www.pakcosmetics.com/contactus.aspx">http://www.pakcosmetics.com/contactus.aspx</a></p>;
  • It wouldn't surprise me if they rationalise and give up one or two of their shops - but i expect they will stay around for a good while longer (and so they should).
  • I think it's important that SGR keeps stores like Paks or else it will turn into stretch of glass fronted shops and restaurants that cater for one demographic: the rich (well probably not the ultra-rich but those on  30 k and above a year who think nothing about eating out a few times a week).  
  • edited December 2017
  • edited January 2015
    Pak's also have a small Peckham branch.<div>SGR wouldn't be the same without the Pak Empire. They should also receive some credit for their recent building refurbishments.  Though they haven't always taken the care that they should, their recent renovations have been top-notch - especially the building opposite the World's End on the corner of Woodstock.</div><div><br></div><div>Peter, who I think is the MD, also used to chair the Traders Association and is still a member now.</div>
  • <p>I guess they are making money if the big black Range Rover reg Pak 4 is anything to go by.</p><p>Good on them</p>
  • I have zero personal interest in those shops being there and would selfishly be happier with a large Waterstones or something I would use rather than walk by. But of course any sensible person must agree that it's the diversity of the place which makes it such a great place to live, so I am happy they're doing so well. If those two racist lads don't like it they should keep their traps shut and move to white middle class Surrey.
  • (I made the obvious assumption that they were both white and middle class, which perhaps shows my own prejudices which I constantly fight to overcome)
  • And a lovely Bentley registration pak5
  • edited January 2015
    I am still mentally constructing my Stroud Green Heath Robinson installation to commemorate his birthplace in Ennis Road next to the FF, which would involve rotating wigs. (Still in the design stage but it could also incorporate flying pizzas.). I would therefore be very sorry indeed if the wig shops left the area.
  • edited January 2015
    <div>The main question is... were their beards racist?</div><div><br>http://www.newser.com/story/181009/is-your-beard-racist.html<br></div>;