local staycation - your recommendations?

Hello all<br>I've lived in the area for about two years, but I've been so busy with work and study that I'm not sure I've made the most of it. <br><br>I've just scored an impromptu week off work, and I've decided to have a staycation to save some money. <br><br>What are people's recommendations for local sights, eateries, etc. to be enjoyed both during the week and at the weekend? Am willing to get the bus, but equally stuff within walking distance is very appealing too!<br><br>Thanks<br>Ogriv<br>

Comments

• What a lovely concept! You have walked the Parkland Walk up to Highgate?
  • I've been doing some weekends exploring local sights.  i'd recommend walking the Capital Ring in both directions from SG:<br><br>https://www.tfl.gov.uk/modes/walking/top-walking-routes<br><br>I also really enjoyed walking from Haggerston along the canal to the Olympic Park - you could also follow the canal round and then go down Limehouse Cut towards Limehouse Basin which makes a nice walk.<br><br>Definitiely bus (210) up to Hampstead Heath and then walk over the heath/Primrose Hill and Hampstead or Highgate Village.  On weekdays I also enjoy going into town for a late lunch at restaurants where you can never normally get in due to the hideous queues, places like Patty and Bun, Pitt Cue, Bone Daddies, Bao.<br>
  • Sounds like you are fairly free to do whatever, I'd take advantage and do some walks to:<div><br></div><div>Highgate Woods</div><div>Hampstead Heath</div><div>Stationers Park - and on to Priory Park and Alexandra Palace</div><div><br></div><div>A favourite of mine when I had the day off in the week before kids and fancied a really good walk was:</div><div><br></div><div>From Stroud Green Road, past the old Arsenal stadium, a<span style="font-size: 10pt;">ll the way down through Highbury fields, Upper St, Finsbury and into Clerkenwell, down Hatton Garden then over Holborn Circus and down to Fleet Street, take a wander into St Brides Church and the catacombs there, then down to the Thames.</span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;"><br></span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;">Cross the river, walk the South Bank, go back over Hungerford Bridge and over the Strand up towards Covent Garden. From there it's a tube home, or a chance to go eat or drink.</span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;"><br></span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;">If its hot go swim at the Lido in Crouch End or the ponds at Hampstead Heath</span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;"><br></span></div><div>Further afield, jump on a train from Finsbury Park out to Hertfordshire and get off at Welwyn North or beyond to head into the countryside.</div><div><br></div>
  • I just walked Hadrian's Wall, but that's a bit far for a day trip.<div><br></div><div>#boast</div>
  • Bike to London Fields, swim, cake in Broadway market.<div>Bike to Hampsted ponds, swim, cake in Kenwood.</div><div>Bike to Covent Garden, swim in Oasis pool, cake in London Review of Books cafe.</div><div><br></div><div>On Sundays at 11 am the ecology centre cafe is open in the Gillespie Road nature reserve between the tube and the emirates.</div><div>Walk the regent's park canal.</div><div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • Take a rowing boat around the lake in Finsbury Park. Feed the birds. Go to the cafe. <div><br></div><div>Go to the Stroud Green Festival concerts - DAMN they have all sold out (discovered that this evening). Track down other local music.</div><div><br></div><div>Consult the energetic debates about good restaurants in the SG area on this forum.</div><div><br></div><div>Consult the Hornsey Road blog for brilliant sidelights on historical quirks of the area - go and explore them. Someone ought to put together a walk (hello @mirandola?) </div><div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • @Arkady - Hadrian's Wall, lucky you. St Albans isn't all that far off if Roman ruins are your thing, thougm and I think the train goes direct from Finsbury Park.
  • edited June 2015
    So, I'm thrilled at all your suggestions. Some of them I've done, either when living here or in my pre-Stroud Green life. <br><br>So, of the ones I haven't yet done, I think that the Capital Ring could be an idea. Also lunching late in cafes that are otherwise packed with <span style="text-decoration: line-through;">rivals</span> <span style="text-decoration: line-through;">bastards</span> people. Welwyn North and St Albans are a novel idea, and I was considering a day trip further afield. I still haven't tried out Crouch End Lido so that's a must. I also didn't know about the ecology cafe in the Gillespie Road Nature Reserve. <br>Hornsey Road blog? Didn't know there was one: must check it out. <br><br>Unfortunately I can't bike anywhere as a) don't have a bike b) I have the cycling skills of a 4-year-old. <br><br>This is enough for me to put together an itinerary. Bless you all!<br>
  • thehornseyroad.blogspot.co.uk.<div><br></div><div>It's gotten rather unwieldy and hasn't been updated for a bit partly for that reason and partly because I have been writing Other Things. </div>
  • Mirandola's blog is excellent by the way. Well worth a read.
  • I've just had a look at it, Mirandola. I was especially intrigued by the Johrei (sp?) Centre.<br>