Book Club: 2 September @ 8pm - The Hopsmiths - Karl Ove Knausgaard: A Death in the Family

edited August 2015 in StroudGreen Book Club
<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin-bottom: 0.0001pt;"><span style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-fareast-language:EN-GB">Following a summer recess the next book club meeting is 2 September.  This time we are reading A Death in the Family by Karl Ove Knausgaard.  </span><span style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman",serif;mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman";mso-fareast-language:EN-GB"><o:p></o:p></span></p> <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin-bottom: 0.0001pt;"><span style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-fareast-language:EN-GB"> </span></p> <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin-bottom: 0.0001pt;"><span style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-fareast-language:EN-GB">Hope to see many of you there.<o:p></o:p></span></p> <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin-bottom: 0.0001pt;"><span style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-fareast-language:EN-GB"> </span></p> <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin-bottom: 0.0001pt;"><span style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-fareast-language:EN-GB">Synopsis <o:p></o:p></span></p> <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin-bottom: 0.0001pt;"><span style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-fareast-language:EN-GB"> </span></p> <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin-bottom:10.5pt;line-height:16.8pt;background: white"><span style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif;mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman";mso-fareast-language:EN-GB">In this utterly remarkable novel Karl Ove Knausgaard writes with painful honesty about his childhood and teenage years, his infatuation with rock music, his relationship with his loving yet almost invisible mother and his distant and unpredictable father, and his bewilderment and grief on his father's death. When Karl Ove becomes a father himself, he must balance the demands of caring for a young family with his determination to write great literature.<o:p></o:p></span></p> <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin-bottom:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height: 16.8pt;background:white"><i><span style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-fareast-language:EN-GB">A Death in the Family</span></i><span style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-fareast-language:EN-GB"> is a Proustian exploration of his past, in which Knausgaard creates a universal story of the struggles, great and small, that we all face in our lives. <i>A Death in the Family</i> is a profoundly serious, gripping and hugely readable work written as if the author's very life were at stake.<o:p></o:p></span></p>

Comments