How can they justify this?

It is 8pm in Lorne Road.    There was an Arsenal home match today (Emirates Cup, Arsenal 6 Lyon 0) which kicked off at 4.15pm.    The match must have finished at around 6pm.    TWO HOURS LATER, AFTER the match has finished, parking wardens (Haringey) are patrolling Lorne Road and issuing tickets to people who have unwisely parked in Lorne Road (probably to go for a pizza on SGR).<div><br></div><div>HOW ON EARTH CAN THEY JUSTIFY THIS?</div><div><br></div><div>The point of 'Match Day' parking restrictions (to 8.30pm) is surely to prevent match goers from clogging the streets. Fine.  And that's welcome. BUT HOW CAN IT BE USED TO TICKET AND FINE PEOPLE PARKING AFTER THE MATCH IS OVER - TWO HOURS AFTER?    That is surely an abuse of power.    It's also a waste of resources.   Any authority with the good of the area in mind would surely simply stand down their parking wardens once the match is over.</div><div><br></div><div>Crazy or what?  Indecent money-grubbing.  I think those unfortunate motorists should take the council to court - and win!</div><div><br></div><div>(Lorne Road is well over a mile from Emirates stadium - 1.17 miles in fact.)</div><div><br></div><div><br></div>

Comments

• edited December 2017
  • edited July 2015
  • edited July 2015
    Was there still a match going on at 8pm then?   I saw fans leaving the area on the tube at 7-ish.    The fixtures don't come up on the official Arsenal website.<div><br></div><div>Edit:  looks like Wolfsburg 1 Villarreal 2 was played earlier in the day.</div>
  • edited July 2015
    Emirates Cup 2015 match schedule Saturday, July 25 14.00 – VfL Wolfsburg v Villarreal 16.20 – Arsenal v Olympique Lyonnais Sunday, July 26 14.00 – Olympique Lyonnais v Villarreal 16.20 – Arsenal v VfL Wolfsburg
  • I initially thought the 16:20 KO must have been the first game of the day. But, no.
  • edited July 2015
    No.  Match long finished.   Bleugh .
  • edited July 2015
    Just wait until Islington manage to strong arm in their 8.30am to 9pm every single day of the week restrictions.<div><br></div><div>Disgraceful.</div><div><br></div><div><br></div>
  • Also try phoning the helpline. Not at all helpful. It says check the arsenal website. And the website didn't say anything about the wireless festival for example.
  • Weren't the flap down signs on the lamp posts down round your way? They were here.
  • I can gurantee that Haringey knew exactly what they were doing sending wardens out - and that was solely to make money.
  • I am mystified that so many people want a car round here. Daft waste of money in most cases.
  • @Mirandola be that as it may, Islington council's suggestions are massively disproportionate to the need for parking controls.<div><br></div><div>Why does Islington need parking restrictions seven days a week from 8.30am to 9pm?</div><div><br></div><div>To stop commuters? A few hours a day does that.</div><div>To stop stadium parking? That isn't a problem restrictions are already in force.</div><div>To deal with a problem with parking? One doesn't currently exist - they have invented a solution to a problem that isn't there.</div><div><br></div><div>How much does this all cost? All those man hours going on cooking up and implementing these schemes?</div><div>Could our cash-strapped council not do something more useful with those resources?</div>
  • Unjust it may be, but I think we can be fairly certain it is a boon rather than a drain as regards council cashflow.
  • That's actually another part of my point:<div><br></div><div>They use precious resources to cook up and implement a scheme to profiteer on residents and their visitors, which also does more harm than good to local small businesses. And some of the cash gets creamed off by the private enterprise running the parking controls for them.</div><div><br></div><div>Money-grabbing Tories in the pocket of big business? No, its our egalitarian Labour council.</div>
  • I see shops and businesses all over Highbury are running a 'Stop Parking Madness' campaign against Islington's proposals. Quite right!
  • Is this  happening as there is no effective opposition  in the council
  • yes, he or she must get a bit lonely
  • The twelve-hour parking restriction idea is shocking - and I'm also not very happy that I haven't had any notifications from the council, or invitations to comment, though I'm in the Emirates extension area. If the aim is to prevent commuter use then all you need is a few hours in the middle of the day, as they have in Grenville Rd. 
  • Got a leaflet through the door today about a 'consultation', but not sure I can be bothered given what a sham their previous such exercises have been.