Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Top Posters

The danger of candles at Halloween - supermarket children's costumes are HIGHLY FLAMMABLE

edited October 2015 in Local discussion
<font face="Arial, Verdana" style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><span style="font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal;">I just went to Sainsbury's and bought my daughter a Witch's costume for £5.</span></font><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;">Then a friend posted this video on Facebook about Claudia Winkleman who did exactly the same thing. Her daughter's dress caught fire from a candle in a pumpkin and the child basically went up in flames.</div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana"><span style="font-size: 13.3333px; line-height: normal;">https://www.facebook.com/bbcwatchdog/videos/422922117892852/?pnref=story</span></font><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><font face="Arial, Verdana"><span style="font-size: 13.3333px; line-height: normal;">I've just checked the label of the costume I bought and it says the costume is highly flammable.</span></font></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><font face="Arial, Verdana"><span style="font-size: 13.3333px; line-height: normal;">I feel like I've escaped a horrible fate.</span></font></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;">I will never use candles again at Halloween and my daughter's costume is going in the bin.</div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;">You can get led tealights for a couple of quid.</div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><br></div>

Comments

• <p>All those cheap supermarket costumes (and some of the everyday clothes) are all very clearly have massive labels stating the clothes as highly flammable. Claudia was missing from Strictly for weeks last year looking after her daughter.</p><p>If you buy a decent dress up costume you'll find that the fabrics used are very different. As with most things - you get what you pay for. </p><p>Amazing the amount of outrage about this one tragic accident when you consider how dangerous the conditions are for the people who make the bloody things in some deathtrap of a sweatshop in China.  </p>