Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters

An Open Letter

This is an open letter to a fellow tube user.<div><br></div><div>Tonight I used the tube to get home. I got off at Finsbury Park. </div><div><br></div><div>I took the Wells Terrace exit as I always do. I tapped out as I always do.</div><div><br></div><div>This time I got pushed by someone behind me who thought I had pushed in front of him. This letter is to you sir.</div><div><br></div><div>I have lived here for quite time. I love it here. Since I've lived here, this is the most I've had to complain about. </div><div><br></div><div>It might not seem much you see, but it irks. It left a bad taste and I'm fuming even now. A couple of hours after the event.</div><div><br></div><div>I can see things from your point of view you see. I managed to get between you and the woman you were with. It must have been difficult for you. Tapping out takes such a long time, especially when the machines delay. But Wells Terrace you see, people walk two abreast, but they haven't put the barriers up, so there's an obvious bottleneck.</div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;"><br></span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;">I didn't mean offence, I would have let you ahead of me, had it been clear that you two were together; but even so, I must have only cost you a few seconds or so.</span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;"><br></span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;">But most of all.</span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;"><br></span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;">While I was standing there. Mouth open. I hope you didn't think you'd won. </span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;"><br></span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;">I hope you didn't think that your unprovoked anger had sunk in. I hope you realised that I was just stunned that someone would push someone out of the way (assault I think the law would say) for tapping out in front of you.</span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;"><br></span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;">I hope you know that the event still feels bitter. Hours after the fact. I hope you know that while you will probably sleep fine tonight, I won't.</span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;"><br></span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;">I hope you know that you're the bitter taste left after an otherwise great night.</span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;"><br></span></div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;">But most of all, I hope you know, that when I saw you head towards the bus station;I hoped you didn't live near here. That you were someone else's neighbour. Not mine.</span></div>

Comments

• Very well said TU!  <span style="font-size: 10pt;">My Mother always told me 'Manners Maketh Man'...Something this person obviously doesn't have.</span><div><br></div><div>Welcome to the Stroud Green Forum.<br><div><br><div><br></div></div></div>
  • Hmm. Not sure I agree with you,  Cristo. TU was, I think, entitled to a moment's indignation, but I wouldn't have thought it was wise, nor in his best interest, to allow the thing to penetrate to such an extent, even if we SGers were awarded this rather elegantly written piece as a consequence. And MY mother taught me the magical 'excuse me'  formula. Perhaps TU's mother spoke through his lips on this occasion - the bad man would not have felt the need to retaliate if she had. I often feel peeved in the bus when someone expects me to move without an excuse me . Some cultures don't use the formula, which doesn't necessarily mean they are rude. I do. It makes life sweeter, in a small way . I hope TU was exaggerating, perhaps for literary purposes . And I hope he has recovered his peace of mind, if not.
  • PS. A second welcome, TU. What are you going to write about next? I look forward to it.
  • edited November 2015
    Sorry Checkski, you've lost me there.  Pushing someone is never a polite thing to do.<br>
  • Agreed. But that was not my point,  Cristo.
  • what was your point? As I said, you lost me.
  • 2 points. <div><br></div><div>1) Not worth being upset for more than 5 minutes.</div><div><br></div><div>2) Saying excuse me helps.</div><div><br></div><div>That's all.</div><div><br></div><div><br></div>