Crisis shop opposite World's End

Looking very smart. And maybe cafe as well as shop? Anyone know more details?

Comments

• Crisis is a charity for homeless people http://www.crisis.org.uk/
  • I thought that was Shelter
  • There are loads of charities to benefit the homeless. Crisis are best known for the Christmas campaigns but they do great work all year round.
  • edited January 2016
    Sounds very inefficient having loads of charities - why not just have a few?  think of all the synergies you could get by merging some of them
  • Aren't mergers and acquisitions notorious for making a ton of money for lawyers & bankers but destroying value? See Time Warner/AOL.
  • <p>I suppose you could say the same about Barnado's NSPCC, Save the Children, Childline, Action for Children and the infinite number of other children's charities.</p><p><br></p>
  • @Miss Annie: so do other charities working with the homeless, but they don't spend ~35% of their income on fundraising as Crisis does.   Judging from the full-page press adverts in just about every publication in the run-up to Christmas, I'd say it's fairly obvious where they're spending it. 
  • I know nowt about it, nor am I a supporter. All charities seem to me to blow vast amounts of money on advertising and PR.
  • Charities also seem to take up quite a lot of Britain's shop space and not to be churlish but I'd rather see actual shops in quite a bit of that.
  • Dont think they have to pay rates unless they are selling som new goods and then it gets apportioned.
  • Actual shops need actual people to shop in them and the only shops that survive on SGR are food related. We have enough of those.
  • Plus, most shops in a given category sell essentially the same stuff as each other. Whereas with a charity shop, so long as it's not over-rigorously curated, you can find all sorts of interesting oddities. 
  • There are plenty of non-food related shops on SGR (on the lower stretch alone) - I think I may have seen a wig shop or two, and plenty of bedsit estate agents, a book shop, a nicknack shop (sp?), an artist's gallery, and on the lower stretch of SGR there are four vacant shops dotted between Season, Fabrica and a Chemist so plenty of space for other shops should they need it<div><br></div><div>On another related note, should we compare Mezbaan (loved for its excellent samosas but frankly not a huge success) and Fabrica which has taken its place (astonishingly packed almost all the time) and argue which is best for the area?</div>
  • The majority of the vacant shops are store rooms for Pak's.<br>
  • Interesting, though not the one that was up for auction last year. <div><br></div><div>How do you know that?</div>
  • That's a real shame. Do they not have enough floor space as it is?
  • Walking along you can see quite often when they are transferring stock/have the doors open - they also run their large online business out of these units I think so need lots of space to hold the stock.<br>
  • hmm, most businesses get a warehouse at this point, rather than using up commercial high street premises<div><br></div><div>i presume the council/s don't care as long as they collect their rates... </div>
  • Where is there a vacant warehouse near n4 though? I'm currently working on a project looking at industrial land supply and it's so limited in Inner north London...
  • edited January 2016
    Manor House. Loads of them, some are dwellings, a couple are squats but there is usually one to let. It's like Oakland over there. There was a warehouse space to let a couple of months ago just as you turn into the junction with Holloway Rd going towards Liverpool Rd if you cycle past Emirates.
  • Yes, re Manor House, up Eade Road there is normally space there in the light industrial estate behind the Arena shopping estate
  • Are they allowed to use shops as storerooms? Assuming they are A category licences?  This sentence particularly: <b style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;">where the sale, display or service is to visiting members of the public.</b><div style="font-weight: normal;"><br></div><div><ul style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><b style="font-weight: normal;">Class A1. Shops</b><br>Use for all or any of the following purposes—<ul style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 10pt; list-style-type: disc;"> (a) for the retail sale of goods other than hot food,</ul><ul style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 10pt; list-style-type: disc;"> (b) as a post office,</ul><ul style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 10pt; list-style-type: disc;"> (c) for the sale of tickets or as a travel agency,</ul><ul style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 10pt; list-style-type: disc;"> (d) for the sale of sandwiches or other cold food for consumption off the premises,</ul><ul style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 10pt; list-style-type: disc;"> (e) for hairdressing,</ul><ul style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 10pt; list-style-type: disc;"> (f) for the direction of funerals,</ul><ul style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 10pt; list-style-type: disc;"> (g) for the display of goods for sale,</ul><ul style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 10pt; list-style-type: disc;"> (h) for the hiring out of domestic or personal goods or articles,</ul><ul style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 10pt; list-style-type: disc;"> (i) for the reception of goods to be washed, cleaned or repaired,</ul><b>where the sale, display or service is to visiting members of the public.</b><a name="a2" id="a2"></a></ul><ul style="font-weight: normal; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><b>Class A2. Financial and professional services</b><br>Use for the provision of —<ul style="font-size: 10pt; list-style-type: disc;"> (a) financial services, or</ul><ul style="font-size: 10pt; list-style-type: disc;"> (b) professional services (other than health or medical services), or</ul><ul style="font-size: 10pt; list-style-type: disc;"> (c) any other services (including use as a betting office) which it is appropriate to provide in a shopping area,</ul>where the services are provided principally to visiting members of the public.<a name="a3"></a></ul><ul style="font-weight: normal; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><b>Class A3. Food and drink</b><br>Use for the sale of food or drink for consumption on the premises or of hot food for consumption off the premises.</ul></div>
  • edited January 2016
    <p>They are just storage - not open to the public. In the absence of tenants wanting to rent for A premises, the landlord is  probably able to cut a deal for temporary use of private space - some rental money is better than no rental money. </p><p>They might be premises owned by Mr Pak's empire.</p>
  • If they do have a change of use, it will be on the Council's planning portal.  If not, it might be worth flagging with them.
  • Why? There are so many empty premises locally. Surely it's better that a premises is actually being used rather than standing empty. This smacks of busybody, curtain twitching.
  • On another thread everyone is weeping that the poor businesses whose leases come to an end have nowhere to go to<div><br></div><div>Where are all the other empty premises locally?</div>
  • Stroud Green Rd, Hornsey Rd, Seven Sisters Rd, Crouch End, Muswell Hill. They are all extortionate. Depends what kind of premises you want.
  • Am I the only one getting confused by some of the logic on this site nowadays?