From The Quays to The Edward Lear

<p>Not stroud green, but close enough to be of interest to people, the Quays is no more. It has been bought out and is going to be refurbished into a gastropub named the Edward Lear. As it's licensed till 4am on weekends, might be worth a visit for those so inclined. Also wonder what the regular goers will think about it being turned into a gastro, with the quays being practically the antithesis beforehand?</p><p><a href="http://www.islingtontribune.com/thequaysclosure">http://www.islingtontribune.com/thequaysclosure</a></p><p>For more info from the horse's mouth:</p><p><a href="http://www.theedwardlear.co.uk/">http://www.theedwardlear.co.uk/</a></p><p> </p><p> </p>;

Comments

• Hopefully not another bland hipster joint
  • Probably will be similar to the old dairy. But with a 4am license I'm inclined not to mind too much.... That's so rare in London.
  • Thank goodness this pub is finally getting smartened up. The place used to be jam packed with chavs and the atmosphere on my infrequent visits was nothing short of threatening. I believe several people have been stabbed in or near that pub over the years. A late night old dairy style venue would be a great improvement.
  • <p>I've been there very late at night several times over the years as it was walking distance from a flatshare I lived in and open late enough for a last drink before bedtime when we got off the nightbus. Rough and ready and raucous but I never felt threatened or intimidated. And there was always dancing. Last went in a year or so ago after a meeting at Cosprop next door and it was exactly as it's always been. </p><p>Why does everything have to be 'smartened up', it serves a group of people who want something different to the gastropub, that's fine isn't it? I am aware that I'm in a minority on this forum but I'd rather have a mixture of places and people. that was part of what I loved about the area, It's getting a bit samey these days. *Another* Old Dairy style place, really? </p><p>Also, chavs? Is that because they aren't as wealthy as you or because they just don't enjoy the same things?</p>
  • Well said, Miss Annie.
  • I'm with Miss Annie.<br>
  • I've got nothing against having a mixture of places and people but our opinions on that pub clearly differ. On my last visit in 2009 one punter tried to head butt my friend. He was just standing at the bar waiting to get served. Then in 2011 a young guy got stabbed in the back with a screwdriver after an altercation in that pub (Google it). After that I decided never to go back. I'd take a late old dairy style place over that place any day.
  • As a self confessed Chav I don't agree with tesco pigeons comments regarding that, as he probably looks down on us working class folk. However that place was rough I've been there several times and got in several fights coz some idiot started. Went there with my misses once she got touched up by drunk idiots something chronic, obviously I had to sort them out! I've seen this sort of behaviour by other idiots on other occasions giving ladies unwanted physicals. So either miss Annie hasn't been there, is talking about somewhere else, is facially challenged or some how went there on its only none violent/moron free night.
  • <p>I lived on Tollington Way just by Domino's for a while and went there probably once every couple of months. I'll leave it to those who know me to comment on my visage if they are so inclined but I never, ever felt threatened in there in any way. I am more than capable of tackling groping on my own too!</p>
  • Easy now BinSparrow.<div><br></div><div>I went there only once, probably in 2009ish. From memory I thought the interior was disappointing given its proud façade, but I don't recall feeling remotely threatened.</div>
  • I grew up in Surrey so I've never quite overcome my country boy softness. However I didn't like the people in there one bit. Also, nothing interesting on the taps. Hopefully that is about to change
  • I'd like to see a nice pub with some character which I don't think the quays had much of tbh fam. Obviously character doesn't grow on trees either else the old dairy would have some.
  • My husband has been lots of times at weekends to watch the football, sometimes with our young son.  <div>Never had any issues in the day...actually, I have seen plenty of families having Sunday lunch in there. </div>
  • edited June 2016
    Just opened! Corporate as hell, and the fake grass is undeniably tacky.... But on the whole I actually rather like it! Some elements of the decor are really quite nice and a pint of N1 for 3.60 isn't half bad (though other beers are touching 6 quid). Lack of projector screens for the footie is a bit of a shame though.... It's good to have pubs of all types in an area and this is definitely different to the crown/landseer/ the grafton. We don't want all of them to be the same so I welcome the new addition. Would be a good fixture on a pub crawl and the outside space catches the sun nicely.....
  • Do they have a late licence like the old place?
  • Dammit! I forgot to ask....
  • According the website they are open until 1am - but obv their license could be longer<br>
  • @ North to South Haven't been for a drink yet, only passed by, but I was under the impression they were showing ther European 2016 matches?
  • <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="line-height: 115%; font-size: small;">Well the Three Compasses is very sterile so hopefully this won’t go the same way.<o:p></o:p></span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="line-height: 115%; font-size: small;">Looks like they've left the bar in which is a massive plus in my book, looks spookily like the Shaftesbury as it happens.<o:p></o:p></span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="line-height: 115%; font-size: small;">https://www.facebook.com/TheEdwardLear/photos/pcb.939976959481634/939976816148315/?type=3&theater<o:p></o:p></span></p>; <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="line-height: 115%; font-size: small;"><o:p> </o:p></span></p> <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="line-height: 115%;"><span style="font-size: small;">If you're missing the craic of the Quays their other pub in Hendon is still rocking!</span><span style="font-size: 12pt;"><o:p></o:p></span></span></p><br>
  • @themimsy they are, but with no big screen why would I go there over the world's end if you know what I mean.... @holbornfox it is a little sterile, but - meh - not sure if it bothers me enough to not want to drink there occasionally. It does indeed look a lot like the Shaftesbury.....