Nurseries: Anyone have experience of Blythwood?

<p>My youngest daughter is at Little Stars nursery, which I love and would recommend to anyone, but it only takes children until they're 2.  I'd assumed she'd follow in her sister's footsteps to Rainbow nursery at Stroud Green school, but there's been a fee hike from £40 to £65 per day since she was there, which has made me want to check it really is the best option - especially as it has the downside that it only takes them till they reach pre-school age so she'll have to move again.   </p><p>Asquith (Finsbury Park Day Nursery) is very expensive and I haven't always heard the best things about it, but I'm prepared to be persuaded.  North Islington and Bowlers are lovely and I'll fill in their application forms but we're Haringey side of the tracks which means our chance of getting a place is very low.  Blythwood is Islington Council too but seems less over-subscribed.  It's cheaper than Rainbow but slightly less convenient for us.   Does anyone have any experience of it, and have I missed any other options?  I know there are the Montessori ones - they're a bit out of our way but I might check them out - I think they do shorter days, which I might be able to consider this time - it wasn't an option last time I was looking - I'm a little sceptical of Montessori if I'm honest, but might be unfairly tarnishing them with the Steiner "woo" brush.</p><p><br></p>

Comments

• <div>We didn't have a good experience with Asquith and took our boy out of there. It may have changed now as a new headmaster had just started. <br><div><div><br></div><div>He is now at North Islington and absolutely loves it. The learning is based on a Montessori way in that it is child lead, so whatever the activity the child is interested in that moment the teacher then works learning into it at that moment.  </div></div><div><br></div><div>Sorry I don't know anything Blythwood nursery.</div><div><br></div><div>All the best in finding a nursery. </div></div>
  • Thanks - I'll definitely put her name down for North Islington, but elder dd's name was down for a couple of years and we never got a call so I don't think I can rely on it.  Rainbow was fine, and the location is perfect for us.  It was too cheap at £40 so I'm not totally balking at a price rise, but it's now the same price as Little Stars, and Little Stars have a higher staff ratio (because it's for under 2s), always go the extra mile and don't have the benefit of Council-funded premises etc so it's hard to see Rainbow as the good value option it once was.
  • If you're Haringey, you're very unlikely to get a place at North Islington I'm afraid. Stroud Green School has a pre-school class, which they can go to after Rainbow. The pre-school itself is just core school hours, but there is a breakfast club from 8am and Treetops after-school care (for the pre-school and Reception kids) until 6pm, so it basically operates the same hours as Rainbow. If the location is good for you and you liked Rainbow, then don't discount it on the basis that she'd have to move again. 
  • Colette - Yes, thank you, I know that as that's exactly the route my elder daughter took, but it wasn't without its drawbacks - as I had to change my working pattern around to fit with the pre-school hours, which were much less flexible than Rainbow (they basically offer 2.5 consecutive days or full time) - and I had to make separate arrangements for holiday cover.  These aren't insurmountable issues but do feature in the question of whether another nursery might offer comparable value, even if further away, especially as I now know that she'll end up at St Aidan's for school, rather than SGS.
  • How about Little Jewels on the ladder? Our two are at Rainbow and will be going full time to SGS nursery from September. It was the only way to make it work around our jobs and lack of other childcare. Last year North Islington wouldn't even let me put my name down as I live on the Haringey side of SG and they said that Islington residents will always take priority, same with Ambler nursery.
  • Yes, it's kind of unfair as as far as I know Haringey doesn't have the same policy in reverse, but maybe that's a feature of how sought after their nurseries are.  I'll check out Blythwood and Little Jewels, but she'll probably end up at Rainbow
  • edited May 2016
    I agree. In our area there just isn't that much choice when you rule out Islington nurseries unless you want to go further afield to Crouch End etc. I would recommend signing up for rainbow sooner rather than later, it's busy at the moment. If you decide against it in favour of another nursery you can just turn down the place.