Gated Community in Stroud Green? Planning application 104 Tollington Pk

Anyone else see a leaflet for the May 18th meeting about the planning application for development of 104 Tollington Park at the site organised by developers Brooks Murray? Planning to attend? The properties look nice enough but leaflet mentions "at the front" "a new gate for access control".  So is this a private gated community? Anyone else wary of that idea?<br>

Comments

• Yeah I got a leaflet too, probably won't attend.  There are plenty of other gated bits in Stroud Green - doesn't make them a gated community though.  Large bits of the Andover Estate are gated for isntance.<br>
  • <p>There are loads around Archway too. I wouldn't like to live in a gated community, I like the random stuff that you see and people you meet on a street that people use. Do like having a traffic gate at all but one access to my road as it stops people using it as a rat run between Hornsey Rd and SGR.</p><p>A pal of mine lived in one of the gated ones at Archway - the flats were standard 'young professional' jobs, the gates were to keep the communal landscaped garden and parking lot private for residents.</p>
  • I don't think this counts as a gated community. To me that means a big development of houses / flats that spreads over an area.<div><br></div><div>This looks like cleverly squeezing a load of small houses onto a plot and sticking a gate at the front.</div><div><br></div><div>It does of course raise the question of why you need a gate.</div><div><br></div><div>Miss Annie, was the Archway one the place going down towards Tufnell Park by the railway line. That's a bit bigger and I reckon counts as gated.</div><div><br></div><div>It's interesting they have put out all these leaflets on it. Anyone know what is on that plot at the moment?</div>
  • There's ironically more crime in gated communities as when people slip in they are then not disturbed. Lots of identity crime from people nicking post.
  • The leaflet stated it was currently garages<br>
  • @ HolbornFox.  Good points made.  Ironically, the more people seek safety the more crime occurs because there's less neighbourly attitudes and criminals perhaps seek the bounty inside..  Could be wrong.  Perhaps I've read too much Mike Davis <a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Quartz">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Quartz</a>. This ain't LA or even Mexico.  Check out the film La Zona: <a href="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1039652/"> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1039652/</a><div><br></div><div><div>Good locks are important.  Don't leave the windows open downstairs....Been burgled but wouldn't want to live in a gate community.  </div><div><div><div><br></div><div><br><div><br></div></div></div></div></div>
  • <font face="Arial, Verdana"><span style="font-size: 13.3333px; line-height: normal;"><a href="http://faculty.washington.edu/plape/citiesaut11/readings/Low Gated Communities.pdf">http://faculty.washington.edu/plape/citiesaut11/readings/Low Gated Communities.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/font&gt;&lt;div&gt;&lt;font face="Arial, Verdana"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana">The above is more about Gated Communities than City of Quartz.  </font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana">Have a nice evening.  ciao.</font></div>
  • Miss Annie<div><br></div><div>Wherebouts are the "gated communities" in Archway? I am aware of one on St John's Way, which used to be the site of the Roger Casement House and The Maya Centre ( a counselling service which is now on Elthorne Road).</div>
  • Marlborough Road (Marlborough Yard), Sussex Way (Edison Court) off the top of my head.
  • edited December 2017
  • @gardner-joe so are you the figurehead of the Stroud Green Independence Party? ;o)
  • Ah, we haven't had this discussion for a while. Do you live in Stroud Green is an old favourite, it's always a lively debate.
  • Especially as no one can actually agree where Stroud Green is - aided by the fact that maps have moved where they write the words by a considerable distance over the past 130 years.<div><br></div><div>This means there are now currently discussions running about both where Stroud Green is and pizza at the same time - it's like the good old days.</div>
  • Quite happy to say I don't live in Stroud green. But, who cares? The line between Stroud green and crouch hill I find is especially blurry.....
  • <p>It's the bit south west of Fiveways that is often contentious.</p>
  • Crouch Hill isn't a neighbourhood, it's a hill.
  • Stroud Green's a state of mind
  • I thought Crouch Hill was just a road (and a hill). I would only say I live in Stroud Green, while I was physically present in Stroud Green, hardly any one knows where it is outside the area, and apparently locals don't know either.<div><br></div><div>Btw, Does a locked gate at the end of a footpath/drive really equal a gated community?  To me 'gated community' are streets like Courtenay Avenue and Compton Avenue in Highgate with actual barriers closing off the entire street and security guards.</div>
  • Marquis Estate is not a gated community, nor is Andover.  A gated community is an estate (usually non-council/social rent) that  can only be entered through a gate.<div><br></div><div>A friend lived in one near the Blind Beggar, Whitechapel. Bike nicked, despite it being locked.  I think it's often a false security. </div><div><br></div>
  • So JoeV where do you say you live? my current fave is i-live-in-stroud-green-north-of-finsbury-park-but-not-the-posh-part<br>
  • It's easier to say Finsbury Park
  • @joev Seconded. Just pick the tube stop you get off at and that's where you live.... It's the London way.
  • edited May 2016
    <p>People in Crouch End might disagree with you @south_to_north. Also the people in South London who get off somewhere grim like Brixton but actually in Herne Hill or somesuch place.</p><p>I used to say exactly the same as @duffer but now I go with Finsbury Park too - it's all one really.</p>
  • edited May 2016
    @missannie herne hill does have its own train station though, so maybe I should expand it to "the station you get off at / the station near to you". To a lot of people, if an area doesn't have a station, they'll have no idea it exists unless they're local. (Crouch end is a notable exception to the above rule it must be said, though it's telling that my friends from South London know Finsbury Park; but haven't got a clue about crouch end) (As a side note, have you been to brixton recently?? Went there a couple weeks ago and spent 10 quid on a glass of wine..... The shape of things to come me thinks....)
  • edited December 2017
  • No, I have not been to Brixton recently. Nor can I imagine going. My map of London has 'here be dragons' across most of south London. I've upgraded it from Mordor now though.
  • Surely if you live in a hill rather than on it you're either a mole or a Hobbit?
  • Brixton market now has a champagne bar and a cheese bar..... Sums it all up really
  • Exactly, I can do all that in North London. Why would you go to Brixton for it?
  • edited December 2017