Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Top Posters

Next Book Club: 1st June 8pm, Remains of the Day

<span style="font-weight: bold;">A slightly earlier meeting next month due to holidays - but a shortish book to match at 245 pages. We'll be discussing Kazuo Ishiguro's Booker prize winning Remains of the Day. <br><br>Date: <span style="font-weight: bold;"> </span></span><span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font-weight: bold;"> 8pm </span>Wednesday 1st June, <br></span></span> <div id="yui_3_16_0_ym18_1_1458481060568_2698"><span style="font-weight: bold;"><br>Venue: The Shaftesbury Tavern<br></span><span class="_Xbe">             534 Hornsey Rd, London N19 3QN</span><br></div> <div id="yui_3_16_0_ym18_1_1458481060568_2626"><br></div> <div id="yui_3_16_0_ym18_1_1458481060568_2594"><span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 153);">New members always welcome. Please come along</span></span>, <span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 153);">we'll have a copy of the book out on the table.</span></span><br><br><p><i>'After all what can we ever gain in forever looking back and blaming ourselves if our lives have not turned out quite as we might have wished?'</i></p><p>In the summer of 1956, Stevens, the ageing butler of Darlington Hall, embarks on a leisurely holiday that will take him deep into the English countryside and into his past...</p><p>A contemporary classic, <i>The Remains of the Day</i> is Kazuo Ishiguro's beautiful and haunting evocation of life between the wars in a Great English House, of lost causes and lost love.</p><br></div>

Comments