Does anyone make their own vinegar?

Bit of a weird question I know... But I've been thinking about doing it for a while as the results are supposed to be great. Only thing is, I need a vinegar "mother" (a bacterial culture). I can possibly do it without, but it'll take twice as long. So..... anyone know a kind soul with some helpful bacteria on their hands? :o)

Comments

• <p class="MsoNormal">I thought Mother was the bacterium that only grows in Apple Cider Vinegar?</p> <p class="MsoNormal">I buy ACV in 5 litre bottles and it grows in the bottle over time, particularly in sunshine, by the end it is pretty ‘Motherly’ think of placenta soup!</p>
  • @holbornfox I've heard using cider vinegar is one way to do it, but just worried about it tasting like cider vinegar instead of wine vinegar..... (Seeing as I wouldn't be making a massive barrel of the stuff)
  • My stepdad used to do it - from apple cider vinegar. What with the home brew and the vinegar on the go my mum's lean to was a lively feast of aromas.
  • @miss annie: I'm sure that was an insult kids could trade: "your mum's lean-to is a lively feast of aromas!"<br>
  • Quite probably, except they were all too busy picking on the kid with the mum who was discovered to be running a bawdy house. Poor little blighter.
  • Try checking on Olio? I've seen sourdough started, kombucha SCOBY, and kefir grains on there before, so I wouldn't be surprised if some vinegar mothers popped up from time to time!